Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 12:47 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,227,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Is there a national law that states a county must issue marriage certificates? I don't mean to either same sex couples or between a man or a women, I mean period.
It's not a national law. The description for her job, as per the state, is to issue marriage licenses. She won't issue them to SS couples. Every court with jurisdiction has ruled she has no standing to make that decision. She still refuses.

Her court hearing is Thursday. If I was a betting man, the court will ask her if she still refuses. If she says yes, in front of a judge, he will either throw her in jail for contempt, or fine her for contempt. Or both. Judges get really pissed when people flout the law, or refuse to follow a court order.

One way or another, she will lose. The rule of law is powerful in this country, and she does NOT have it behind her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 12:50 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,865,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It's not a national law. The description for her job, as per the state, is to issue marriage licenses. She won't issue them to SS couples. Every court with jurisdiction has ruled she has no standing to make that decision. She still refuses.

Her court hearing is Thursday. If I was a betting man, the court will ask her if she still refuses. If she says yes, in front of a judge, he will either throw her in jail for contempt, or fine her for contempt. Or both. Judges get really pissed when people flout the law, or refuse to follow a court order.

One way or another, she will lose. The rule of law is powerful in this country, and she does NOT have it behind her.
I read that she stopped issuing them completely, no matter the orientation of the couple.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:53 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,008,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I read that she stopped issuing them completely, no matter the orientation of the couple.
That is why I am asking if there is a law stating that the county has to issue marriage certificates at all.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:55 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,591,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Yes … She is not doing her job for which she receives her salary …

She is like a police officer who just doesn't respond to a 911 call, or a firefighter who just stays in the station snuggling the dalmatian puppy, or a nurse who stops taking vital signs, or a carpenter who declines to pick up a saw or a two by four, or a chef who refuses to prepare a dish … etc. ...

"Turn in your keys, clean out your desk … Don't come back tomorrow …"

Old 09-01-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Yes …
The recent SCOTUS ruling is the governing law in this and other similar cases, as per The United States Constitution, which is the Supreme Law of the Land in every county in every state ...
Except the Constitution doesn't mention marriages.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Yes … She is not doing her job for which she receives her salary …

She is like a police officer who just doesn't respond to a 911 call, or a firefighter who just stays in the station snuggling the dalmatian puppy, or a nurse who stops taking vital signs, or a carpenter who declines to pick up a saw or a two by four, or a chef who refuses to prepare a dish … etc. ...

"Turn in your keys, clean out your desk … Don't come back tomorrow …"
But is there a law stating that the county has to issue marriage certificates to anyone?

Old 09-01-2015, 12:58 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:
That is why I am asking if there is a law stating that the county has to issue marriage certificates at all.
If her county does not issue marriage licenses, then they really don't need to staff a department who's job it is to issue marriage licenses.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:00 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,591,954 times
Quote:
Except the Constitution doesn't mention marriages.
It mentions "equal protection under the law …" (14th Amendment) ...

Old 09-01-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
If her county does not issue marriage licenses, then they really don't need to staff a department who's job it is to issue marriage licenses.
I highly doudt her only job is to issue marriage certificates. Where I got mine they did many many other things as well.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:01 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,020,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Most of those evangelical Christian groups don't condone out of wedlock children and aren't too fond of divorce either. I wonder how many marriage licenses she's given to people who have had out of wedlock children or who have been divorced?

Then how many marriage licenses might she have given to someone who worked on the Sabbath? It all goes against her "religion".

A little picky, choosey here.

she herself has been married FOUR times.... that is how much regard she has for the sanctity of marriage.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events