Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 05:09 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You do realize same sex marriage was banned when she got her job right?
Yes. And...? Are you implying she should not have to comply with any new laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 05:09 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
For sure …
She is perfectly free to follow her conscience 100%, go to court, be fined and jailed and fired, and then get rich writing her memoir and going on the conservative speech/banquet/talk show circuit …

It's a free country …
But especially as a guv'mint employee she is not free to impose her religious faith or conscience on everybody else in the county …
See: The First Amendment and the Fourteenth Amendment ...
Shes' not using force to impose her beliefs on others. Only government can do that. Unless you are saying she's the only one who can perform those duties.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:10 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Her son works there, also.
Lol, that's typical; you can bet he didn't go the "civil service" route like the majority of the employees. Nepotism is aluve and well in all levels of government.

But that doesn't change what I said. Those guys were terrible, screaming at the rest of the employees sitting at their desks. They're truly caught in the middle.

3,349 posts, read 2,847,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS1989 View Post
Perhaps the best solution would be for Kentucky to enact a law that permits religious county clerks to transfer marriage-related duties to another county staff member.
How about they find another job?

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Show proof a couple got a license legally without marrying. Obviously you cannot. I don't understand what point you are trying to make.

You're getting silly.
I've never made any such claim, so why would I need to prove it?

Old 09-01-2015, 05:12 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Yes. And...? Are you implying she should not have to comply with any new laws?
If it is against her religious beliefs and does not violate anyones rights, which she hasn't because no one has a right to marriage, then she shouldn't comply. I support her even though I don't care who gets married and would have to agree under the equal protection clause same sex marriages are legal.
I don't know if counties have multiple clerks but government should hire a clerk who will. If I wanted to be a county clerk I'd run on that policy.
The rub is government should never have gotten involved in the first place.

Will she eventually loose her job? Probably.

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Shes' not using force to impose her beliefs on others. Only government can do that. Unless you are saying she's the only one who can perform those duties.
Any clerk in her office can issue a license. Out of six clerks in her office, four have the same adversion as she, one is undecided, and one is OK with issuing same sex licenses. She has made the arbitrary decision however that NONE of her clerks are to issue licenses based on HER beliefs. This is why ALL of them are being hauled into court on Thursday.

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Show proof a couple got a license legally without marrying. Obviously you cannot. I don't understand what point you are trying to make.

You're getting silly.
Quote:
In addition to the above waiting period, some states include as one of their marriage license requirements a waiting period between the time you receive your marriage license and the time you can actually, legally, get married. Most states allow you to get married immediately, but here are the ones that don't and how long you have to wait.
Quote:
Once you've received your marriage license, it is only valid for a certain amount of time. Here's how long you have before your license expires and you have to reapply for another.
Marriage License Requirements - FindLaw

The license EXPIRES. If you do not use it before it EXPIRES, you have to get another one before you can get LEGALLY MARRIED.

2,526 posts, read 1,593,559 times
Quote:

You're getting silly.
Actually, in fact the "marriage" isn't "legal" until the properly witnessed signed document is returned to the county where it was issued …

Here in Minnesota, e.g., we clergy are required by law to send it in within five days … BUT … If, say, the next morning the happy couple decides they had made a big mistake and they come by my office and ask me to just shred the document instead of sending it in, and I do so … then … NO legal marriage will have taken place even though there was a wedding ceremony and exchange of vows and rings and a cake and wine and gifts and a dance and a wedding night consummation … !!!

This is not rocket science ...

Old 09-01-2015, 05:15 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
You get the official license before the ceremony and it's official? That doesn't sound right. I can see getting the license and it becomes official after the marriage is performed.

I don't know what your point is but without that license government won't recognize the marriage. That's the point. It's about government officially recognizing the marriage.
There is a license. There is a certificate.

The license PERMITS you to go get legally married.
The certificate is what you get AFTER you are legally married.

Getting a license does not mean you are married UNTIL it is officiated (a wedding) AND filed with the county.
If you get a license and do not have a ceremony officiated the license expires and no longer is good.

You are not legally married by applying for a license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events