Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 11:24 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
Although, I can appreciate her stance and willingness to take a stand, she should step down from office and an "equitable" position given to her if she wants it. Remember, when she took the job, she was not being forced to validate her conscience. Now that she is, the county should make an effort to accommodate her.
No, absolutely not. She's a government official and just because the government changes or makes new laws does not give her a reason to be compensated for stepping down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
CNN is interviewing Rand Paul. He sides with Davis.

He said that people should be 'persuaded' to get in line with the law instead of a court taking action.

In essence, he's blaming the victims...what crap.
Ohhh okay, well how about we try this "persuasion" idea with other laws?

Should we persuade murderers to get in line and not murder people?

The law is the law, there is no room for persuasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Although, I can appreciate her stance and willingness to take a stand, she should step down from office and an "equitable" position given to her if she wants it. Remember, when she took the job, she was not being forced to validate her conscience. Now that she is, the county should make an effort to accommodate her.
LOL, yeah right.

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
The other clerks are now being offered the option to bang tin cans against bars alongside her or do their effing jobs.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:25 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
She has the ability to accommodate herself by allowing other deputy clerks to issue the licenses, but she refused.

Plus she is not being asked to approve of any marriage, just verify that the facts on the license are correct.
It will be interesting to see what else the court does. A court has broad equitable powers to find a remedy in civil cases. The court could appoint a deputy clerk as acting clerk in her absence. The acting clerk could run the office and issue marriage licenses and perform all other functions of the office.

I will be waiting to see what happens next.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:25 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
No way. She is an elected official, NOT an employee.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
It will be interesting to see what else the court does. A court has broad equitable powers to find a remedy in civil cases. The court could appoint a deputy clerk as acting clerk in her absence. The acting clerk could run the office and issue marriage licenses and perform all other functions of the office.

I think that is a very sensible solution to this problem.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:26 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

According to one group on twitter the deputies are being given half an hour to decide if they want to comply with the law, or go to jail.
https://twitter.com/BGPolitics

Old 09-03-2015, 11:28 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
This clerk doesn't have the power to deny or approve anyone's marriage, right? She is there to fill out and file the required paperwork. I don't care how she feels about the new law approving gay marriage. There are many laws I don't agree with, but I follow them because that's what civilized people do. If you believe marriage is a sacred vow between a couple and God, then back out of the middle of it and let God handle things. It's really that simple. This woman needs to quit or be removed from office. She isn't fit to serve all the people. Her negative opinion of gay couples needs to be keep out of the workplace.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:29 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
This just popped up:

Judge orders defiant Kentucky clerk to jail | Politics - KCCI Home
Judge orders defiant Kentucky clerk to jail

Old 09-03-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
According to one group on twitter the deputies are being given half an hour to decide if they want to comply with the law, or go to jail.
https://twitter.com/BGPolitics
I feel for the deputy clerks who suddenly found themselves in a very precarious situation. She is their supervisor and she ordered them to do something illegal, while the media looked on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events