Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:01 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
This whole "it was cool when my generation did it but this generation is a bunch of degenerates!" thing is stupid.
I'm 37, and one of the great disappointments of my adulthood has been the fact that my peers have completely forgotten the criticism we got when we were kids and have started to say the same things that we (rightly) laughed at back then. We were called lazy, entitled, spoiled, over-sexualized, consumers of trash culture and entertainment -- and now we say the same about millennials. Does every generation do this? I guess I naively thought that we'd be different.

I've heard multiple people my age say that today's twentysomethings are insufferable because when they were kids, everybody got a trophy. Well, guess what, I was probably the worst player in the entire Little League and I got a trophy every single year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 08:05 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
Not sure what prompted me to do this but I watched the VMAs last night. It was disgusting, ridiculous and pathetic. So many references to sex and drugs. Virtually every song is about one or the other. Most performers see how close they can get to masturbating or actually having sex on stage and Kanye claims to be running for President in 2020! And these dumb MFers that watch this stuff (on the reg - I don't count) are just stupid enough to vote for him.
If Kanye gets elected, I will move to Sweden or Norway.

And even if we chosse not to watch it, we're bombarded with "highlights" on every morning show, and even the news.

Trash with money.....

Old 08-31-2015, 08:11 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
There nothing rebellious about miley cyrus.
It doesn't matter if you think so or not. Her target audience has to think so. Personally I feel like I've seen her schtick before so often I'm kinda bored by her. LOL. I mean how many musical women before her have pushed the envelope using their sexuality? SHOCKING! Not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I'm 37, and one of the great disappointments of my adulthood has been the fact that my peers have completely forgotten the criticism we got when we were kids and have started to say the same things that we (rightly) laughed at back then. We were called lazy, entitled, spoiled, over-sexualized, consumers of trash culture and entertainment -- and now we say the same about millennials. Does every generation do this? I guess I naively thought that we'd be different.

I've heard multiple people my age say that today's twentysomethings are insufferable because when they were kids, everybody got a trophy. Well, guess what, I was probably the worst player in the entire Little League and I got a trophy every single year.
Yes! I'm a Gen Xer and Lord knows we were called all types of lazy slackers with no ambition. And you would think grunge, the Backstreet Boys and the rise of hip-hop were signs of the apocalypse from the way older people reacted. But my peers don't remember all that now, now it's all "look at those slutty stupid kids!" Oy.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,550,144 times
Quote:
Not sure what prompted me to do this but I watched the VMAs last night. It was disgusting, ridiculous and pathetic. So many references to sex and drugs. Virtually every song is about one or the other. Most performers see how close they can get to masturbating or actually having sex on stage and Kanye claims to be running for President in 2020! And these dumb MFers that watch this stuff (on the reg - I don't count) are just stupid enough to vote for him.
Dramatic, much? Someone sounds like an old curmudgeon. And if someone's an old curmudgeon, why are they watching the VMA's in the first place? People have been complaining about music since the dawn of time. Get over it.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
It doesn't matter if you think so or not. Her target audience has to think so. Personally I feel like I've seen her schtick before so often I'm kinda bored by her. LOL. I mean how many musical women before her have pushed the envelope using their sexuality? SHOCKING! Not.

Yes! I'm a Gen Xer and Lord knows we were called all types of lazy slackers with no ambition. And you would think grunge, the Backstreet Boys and the rise of hip-hop were signs of the apocalypse from the way older people reacted. But my peers don't remember all that now, now it's all "look at those slutty stupid kids!" Oy.
The difference is I can appreciate the music of past generations the 10s, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, etc. I mean who doesn't enjoy Scott Joplin, Cole Porter, Sam Cooke, Janis Joplin, the Beatles....?

What do Kanye or Minaj have to offer future generations of music lovers? I'll guess only a headache.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:57 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,039 times
My wife was watching this before we watched Fear the Walking Dead so I caught a glimpse before I got up and left the room

Miley Cyrus is the most obnoxious untalented annoying idiot to be crammed down our throats by hollywierd in a long time, if not the worst

she is unattractive, she is untalented, she dresses like an idiot, and her voice makes me want to cram live wasps in my ears...just horrible

Old 08-31-2015, 09:00 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
I cut the cord a long time ago so I don't get MTV and don't need them.

Youtube > Cable TV.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:14 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,556,877 times
I was watching Catfish and saw the Miley/VMA commercials. I was very sad for our world and our teenagers.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,092,981 times
As has been stated repeatedly since the OP, music & sex are nothing new. Just one example of how ANCIENT this is would be this song written in the 1950s & made popular in the 70s by a cover performed by Chuck Berry. The song title is "My Ding-a-Ling." Yes, you old farts understood the value of double entendre, even back then.

Silly post by a geezer. Just what I need to wake up this fine Monday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Ding-a-Ling

Old 08-31-2015, 09:33 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
The show gets high ratings from the target age group, which in turn means more advertising, which means more money for MTV, which is what it is all about. The more "outrageous" the better for them. Sex, drugs and rock and roll sells.

Oh a few years ago I remember outrage and a singer who sparked protests and moral cries for censorship. But Elvis seemed to survive that. Then there were these five kids from England. Dad caught me listening to GASP Jerry Lee Lewis one afternoon. Grabbed the 45 from the record player (Google it kids) and smashed it.

Every generation pushes the boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events