Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 06:50 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lol, yea. I live right on the route to Black Rock. I'll tell ya, I wouldn't spend that kind of money to go hang out there with anyone. I ran into some kids , last year, who came over from Germany to go there. I guess you have to be an artist to understand the mentality behind the event. I kinda see it as a gathering of ...esoteric..minds. An event where people , who are a bit off plumb, can be "normal". Ive seen some really strange folks come through heading to Burning Man.

I actually took time out of my day to watch this girl , who was with a truly choice crew, and it HAD to be LSD or some really good sh rooms she was on, have a conversation with a signpost in the parking lot of the smoke shop. The event still draws its share of "hippy" types. I guess it did put Gerlach on the map. ' Bruno loves Burning Man. Lol
These people are not hippies.......hippies in the day would not have had the cellphones and connection with the world. The idea was to be not CONNECTED........turn on & tune out is not the message of today, now it's get connected and stay connected.

Funny how people think sharing is the key and trait of hippies........my days of hanging with hippies they NEVER had anything to share. It's why they would welcome outsiders in, so we could bring them FREE stuff, while they hung out doing NOTHING all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 08:58 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
These people are not hippies.......hippies in the day would not have had the cellphones and connection with the world. The idea was to be not CONNECTED........turn on & tune out is not the message of today, now it's get connected and stay connected.

Funny how people think sharing is the key and trait of hippies........my days of hanging with hippies they NEVER had anything to share. It's why they would welcome outsiders in, so we could bring them FREE stuff, while they hung out doing NOTHING all day.
I was referring more to the phsycaedelic, "going on a trip" , hearing colors, tasting sounds, that sort of thing. Thus the quotes around the term. I wasn't really trying to transfer the whole culture of the 60s to now. Many terms, that people use now to describe a type of ....cultural nuance...are not used with pinpoint accuracy. "Cowboy" is another such term. I grew up as a cowboy. There's a whole bunch that goes with the word that isn't captured by the way its often used.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:11 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Burning Man is the 6th largest city in Nevada with the highest per capita income in the state

Old 09-01-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I was referring more to the phsycaedelic, "going on a trip" , hearing colors, tasting sounds, that sort of thing. Thus the quotes around the term. I wasn't really trying to transfer the whole culture of the 60s to now. Many terms, that people use now to describe a type of ....cultural nuance...are not used with pinpoint accuracy. "Cowboy" is another such term. I grew up as a cowboy. There's a whole bunch that goes with the word that isn't captured by the way its often used.
I didn't take this from your post, I figured you knew, more just sounding off......todays "hippie type" do think they are the same as those in the 60's....... they are not. I have a niece who is all into the peace and love for everyone, that is until her religion or her ideas are being challenged.......then we see she isn't as open-minded as she thinks she is. Now this part the kids have down today, their peers had/have the same issue.

As for Cowboy, funny how many wear boots and have never stepped in mud, let alone mount a horse.

My idea of a cowboy is one who can ride and break horses, my grandfather was this kind of man. He was a horse whisper on the cattle drives from Arizona to Oklahoma

Old 09-01-2015, 11:25 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,788 times
Just like anything else, it's a lot of fun if that's what you are interested in.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:43 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

Perhaps they are a hybrid of Hippies and Hypocrites....Hypocrippies?

Old 09-01-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Perhaps they are a hybrid of Hippies and Hypocrites....Hypocrippies?
Most likely just misguided.....

Old 09-02-2015, 06:21 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
I have a grandniece who has attended for years.

The park service or whoever administers the land tried to high jack the event this year, demanding millions of dollars of facilities to support the park and security personnel. Even providing "on demand", round the clock, ice cream. They had to back down.....what a joke.
It was on the internet and in the newspapers.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:53 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I have a grandniece who has attended for years.

The park service or whoever administers the land tried to high jack the event this year, demanding millions of dollars of facilities to support the park and security personnel. Even providing "on demand", round the clock, ice cream. They had to back down.....what a joke.
It was on the internet and in the newspapers.
Its BLM land. Pershing county handles the event. I handnt heard any of this..but I don't pay any attention to Burning Man. Its just an influx of outsiders to me. I go out there, to that area, to hunt obsidian and get away from people. I wish they had found another place for their party. I liked not being on the map and off the grid. I wish the whole world looked at NV as a place not to go. I'm fine being infamous. NV ain't what we used to be. We've been Californicated.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:28 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Burning Man is the 6th largest city in Nevada with the highest per capita income in the state
No it isnt. The wealth is transient, not brought there, it remains at the origin of where the people come from. Like saying that because a wealthy person parks in your driveway that you share in their wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events