Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2015, 05:58 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times

Advertisements

Most illegals are farm workers. Farming is seasonal labor, but people need food and shelter all year long. Factory farming corporations are only willing to pay while they're actually harvesting ..... so when they are unemployed, migrants need assistance for survival.

It's back-breaking work that can't be done by people not born into it - wherever illegals have been ousted, crops lay around unpicked. Citizens may want to work but simply can't last at it for more than a few days. In that sense, illegals are "skilled" by sheer stamina and experience.

Since the farmers won't supply food and shelter to their workers for more than a month or so at a time, we the taxpayers have to give them that very basic support when they're not employed (and no, they don't live like kings and queens on their food stamps etc ..... sheesh).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 06:01 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
They did not come to be rich they did not come to be assimilated they came to live pretty much the way they always have but with more money
France England America all make the same mistake u think they came here bek want to learn how to be like u

baloney
they just want your stuff

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 09-05-2015 at 07:01 AM..

Old 09-05-2015, 07:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Most illegals are farm workers. Farming is seasonal labor, but people need food and shelter all year long. Factory farming corporations are only willing to pay while they're actually harvesting ..... so when they are unemployed, migrants need assistance for survival.

It's back-breaking work that can't be done by people not born into it - wherever illegals have been ousted, crops lay around unpicked. Citizens may want to work but simply can't last at it for more than a few days. In that sense, illegals are "skilled" by sheer stamina and experience.

Since the farmers won't supply food and shelter to their workers for more than a month or so at a time, we the taxpayers have to give them that very basic support when they're not employed (and no, they don't live like kings and queens on their food stamps etc ..... sheesh).
Only 4% of illegals work in farming.
The biggest group work in service 33%.

Share of Unauthorized Immigrant Workers in Production, Construction Jobs Falls Since 2007 | Pew Research Center

Old 09-05-2015, 07:52 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
And people wonder why Trump is gaining support. ( BTW, I live on the border , don't need to be lectured about this).

Old 09-05-2015, 10:26 AM

11 posts, read 11,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
[URL="http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/09/01/immigrant-welfare-use-report/71517072/"]Report: More than half of immigrants on welfare[/URL]

Sounds like these numbers include illegals and people with short-term visas too:

"The center's report is based on 2012 data from the Census Bureau's Survey of Income and Program Participation. It includes immigrants who have become naturalized citizens, legal permanent residents, those on short-term visas and undocumented immigrants."

Given these numbers, and beyond preventing illegal immigration from occurring(sure), isn't it about time the US institutes some parameters on legal immigration like some other countries do?, ie, having/proving one has a skill set for fully supporting themselves, some money saved up, certain basic level of education and beyond, etc.?

Even immigrants who have been here for decades:

"Immigrants who have been in the U.S. more than 20 years use welfare less often, but their rates remain higher than native-born households."

And immigrants with families, the numbers are even worse. Though the native-born numbers are nothing to be proud of but they are almost 25% less:

Camarota said one of the most shocking findings from the report was the high number of native-born Americans also on welfare. About 76% of immigrant households with children are on welfare, but so are 52% of native-born households with children.

Just my pie in the sky thinking until vote getting and the grab for cheap labor enters the room.....

I think that immigration policy is way outdated in this country. Look at our historical influx of immigrants, even going back to the 1800's. We have accepted peasants and unskilled laborers throughout the entirety of our history. This does exclude the colonies and up until the founding of the US, when Britain actually regulated who could move to the colonies. Britain only allowed those who were nobility (bread to be more intelligent/better warriors/better leaders than others), and skilled laborers to go to the colonies. Britain has been doing it right for 400 years. Even now, I am 75% british in ancestry, my ancestors were nobility in Britain before moving to the "New World", and I can't even move back home to England. That is how strict they are. American needs to tighten its immigration policies if we are to last for 1200 years like the Kingdom of England has.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:51 AM

1,059 posts, read 830,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
And they are predominately with damn kids!! The Right to Lifers should be proud!
I call them pro-birthers because their holier than thou attitude is nauseating. What do these folks do once the little baby is born? Not a damn thing. They are off to "save" the next woman.

The U.S. does not have an endless supply of money and space for the illegal aliens. We have enough of our own deadbeats, let's not import more.

Just heard today that Medicare premiums are going up substantially the end of this year. If anyone needs help, it is the elder LEGAL population who are barely getting by. At least they contributed to the U.S. Economy and paid into Social Security.

If you folks out there think illegals are getting a bum rap, check out the thousands of refugees coming into Europe (especially now) who would be thankful for a morsel of food, a drink of water and a safe place to sleep. Thank God for the countries that are taking care of as many refugees as possible.

Tsk, tsk.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:59 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Immigrants tend to be poor because employers discriminate against them causing them to be underemployed. When poor people with common sense notice the government is giving away free money, it's natural for them to take advantage of it. So it's natural for a lot of immigrants to receive free money because discrimination makes them poor which motivates them to accept the free money.

If we really didn't want to give free money to immigrants, we could acquire some common sense and stop giving it to them. But that would be rude, because we've got them accustomed to receiving it. We should let them down easy, by reducing it gradually.

Immigrants tend to be civilized people with common sense. The only real question is whether we are.
I agree. I believe the supply side/handing out the freebies is the root cause. The same thing is happening over in Europe now, especially Greece and France in part because of their generous welfare benefits. Scandinavia too. I think those countries are starting to wake up a bit though. I think the problem is this type of handout system buys some types of politicians power so that's an uphill battle when some continue to reelect the same handout variety politician. Those who are on the take for years and years are of course going to elect such people into office as are people who think perpetual handouts are a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgon View Post
I think that immigration policy is way outdated in this country. Look at our historical influx of immigrants, even going back to the 1800's. We have accepted peasants and unskilled laborers throughout the entirety of our history. This does exclude the colonies and up until the founding of the US, when Britain actually regulated who could move to the colonies. Britain only allowed those who were nobility (bread to be more intelligent/better warriors/better leaders than others), and skilled laborers to go to the colonies. Britain has been doing it right for 400 years. Even now, I am 75% british in ancestry, my ancestors were nobility in Britain before moving to the "New World", and I can't even move back home to England. That is how strict they are. American needs to tighten its immigration policies if we are to last for 1200 years like the Kingdom of England has.
Interesting/good example!

Old 09-05-2015, 12:07 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
Oh, I see what you did there. A regular Demosthenes. Stop trying to make this into a dichotomy. It is not "us" vs. "them". The interests of these immigrants, legal or illegal, and the interests of the American taxpayer are not mutually exclusive. I would argue for greater levels of social justice for America's poor just as I make demands for greater levels of social justice for these migrants desperately searching for opportunity.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

That means something to me. Something more than money. You and yours can spend your time fighting for the good of yourselves. I will spend my time fighting for the good of others.
Oh, puh-lesssse, that same old tired saw. Can you tell me the population back in the 1800's? That "give me your tired...." was a saccharine pie-in-the-sky poem written by Emma Lazarus back in 1883. I bet you still think we need slaves, women not be allowed to vote, and lawlessness that was solved by gunslingers?

We are in 2015 and going downhill fast. Who can say the U.S.
is better off now than it was back in the 1950s?

Yeah, I care about money -- puts food on the table, pays for healthcare, a roof over our heads, and a heavy dose of INCOME taxes and other taxes. You betcha I resent like heck paying for anchor babies and their families, higher crime rates, schools, medical, ad nauseam. Here in California we are going through our worst drought ever while thousands sneak over the border.

California... now a suburb of Mexico.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:27 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
A moral compass is supposed to point towards Heaven. A lot of people in Latin America who become illegal immigrants here, their compass points north.

But I personally don't consider it to be horrible to thumb your nose at our immigration laws. They're enforced by people like you. How would you find out you weren't doing a good job, if nobody was thumbing their nose at you?

Thumbing your nose at the government is a long and honorable tradition. Henry David Thoreau, one of America's most honorable people, thumbed his nose at the government, and spent time in jail for it. Watch the movie Schindler's List, to see more people thumbing their nose at government bureaucrats.
You don't "consider it to be horrible to thumb your nose at our immigration laws"? Wow. You want open borders, I see. Do you really think that this country can take in the entire third world without sinking into third world status ourselves?

As for the rest of your post---you seem to think it's okay to pick and choose which laws you want to obey. Then you invoke Godwin's Law to make a point.

Guess what? We have a process in this country to address laws that seem to be bad ones. It requires going through a process to change them. No one gets to thumb their noses at any law they don't like and expect to get away with it. Period.

As for people in Latin America who have compasses that "point north", there is a process in place for them to apply here to do so. They(or anyone else who comes here illegally) have no business breaking those laws in order to come here. We, as a nation, take in 1 million legal immigrants on an annual basis. Legal immigrants respect our immigration laws and go through every step required and pay all the fees, then patiently await their turns to come here. When anyone gives illegal aliens a free pass, it's a slap in the face to those who respect our laws.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:45 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Even when the "investment" goes on for decades?

Report: More than half of immigrants on welfare

"Immigrants who have been in the U.S. more than 20 years use welfare less often, but their rates remain higher than native-born households."

The issue I and I think many have is perpetual/endless welfare "investments", not someone who needs help for a very short spurt which was the original purpose of these programs. It's obvious the system is being abused when this many people are on the "investment" bandwagon:

"Camarota said one of the most shocking findings from the report was the high number of native-born Americans also on welfare. About 76% of immigrant households with children are on welfare, but so are 52% of native-born households with children."

From the study in question:

Quote:
In 2012, immigrant households using any program used one or more programs for 10.2 months on average, compared to 9.8 months for native households.
Based on that, by definition, many must have gotten off welfare for at least some period of time during the year.

"Immigrants who have been in the US more than 20 years" does not mean "Immigrants have been on welfare for more than 20 years".

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events