Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:47 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times

Advertisements

Tom Brady is a FREE MAN !

I couldn't help but think about this whole witch hunt and its possible connection to race relations in America today.

Roger Goodell the NFL commissioner seemed to have it in for Brady and with weak evidence he made an example of him.

The NFL has lots of problems with its players from murder, beating up women, drug use, OUI's and killing dogs. Many of the players that get into trouble are either black or hispanic and Goodell has handled some of these situations poorly.

I wonder if Tom Brady the golden boy of the NFL was given a harsh sentence without much evidence due to the fact he is white and Goodell wanted to show people that the NFL is just as hard on white players as they are on minorities?

Between criminal players, concussions and all sorts of bad press was the NFL afraid of being labeled as racists as well so that is why they came down so hard on the golden boy?

Just another way of looking at the situation. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 11:51 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
It's not about race, it's all about the money.

Outside of a big felony charge, the NFL commissioner will now have little power to discipline if it's going to cost the team money.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:02 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Tom Brady is a FREE MAN !

I couldn't help but think about this whole witch hunt and its possible connection to race relations in America today.

Roger Goodell the NFL commissioner seemed to have it in for Brady and with weak evidence he made an example of him.

The NFL has lots of problems with its players from murder, beating up women, drug use, OUI's and killing dogs. Many of the players that get into trouble are either black or hispanic and Goodell has handled some of these situations poorly.

I wonder if Tom Brady the golden boy of the NFL was given a harsh sentence without much evidence due to the fact he is white and Goodell wanted to show people that the NFL is just as hard on white players as they are on minorities?

Between criminal players, concussions and all sorts of bad press was the NFL afraid of being labeled as racists as well so that is why they came down so hard on the golden boy?

Just another way of looking at the situation. Your thoughts?

I think you might be reaching on this one. Even though Ray Rice skated by with minimal punishment for cold cocking his girlfriend, Adrian Peterson was in my opinion punished too severely for his paddling situation in disciplining his son.

Brady's deflategate situation was handled poorly, BUT I felt that the original 4 game suspension was justified. An example needed to be made to make sure that others, whether players, coaches, or owners, will think twice about trying to do anything that tarnishes the integrity of the game.

I don't see anything rascist in any of these dealings and I get real tired of the race card being pulled for every damn thing that comes down the pike.

It's like when many psychiatrists get involved with a youth who's constantly in trouble. Sooner or later it can't be any of the kids fault. Somewhere he has always been sexually assaulted by a relative and that's why he commits robberies, assaults, etc. Once the allegation is out there, real or imagined, that adult will for ever have the stigma attached to them.

Same with racial allegations.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:05 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times

Who's obsessed with race, again?

Old 09-03-2015, 12:47 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
I think it comes down to the "integrity of the game".

Of course, I'm not talking about the real integrity in that cheating is bad, I think it has to do with cheating can cost the NFL money. Gambling on football indirectly makes the NFL lots of cash, and it's about that cash.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:40 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's not about race, it's all about the money.

Outside of a big felony charge, the NFL commissioner will now have little power to discipline if it's going to cost the team money.
And whose fault is that? If he had handled it like an equipment violation, which is what it was, and given Brady a fine, none of this would have spiraled out of control. Haters still would have had their "cheater" card to play against him, and Goodell would still have his authority intact.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:54 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Tom Brady is a FREE MAN ! I couldn't help but think about this whole witch hunt and its possible connection to race relations in America today.
That has to be one of the most tortuous attempts to weave race into a discussion that doesn't that doesn't have even the thinnest connection with any issue involving race. Wow!

Old 09-03-2015, 01:58 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
I can't see race being the cause of this here. I see Brady as a player who wasn't going to lay down and take a punishment and he was willing to spend money to fight it. It probably came down to a simple weighing of the options. How much will this cost to fight vs. how much will it cost if I take the suspension?

I'm not too terribly up to speed on the whole situation, but I can imagine what the thought process was.

And, would people PLEASE stop adding "gate" to the end of every scandal name? Please?

Old 09-03-2015, 02:04 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Another swing and a miss by Goodell. Brady is still a liar and a cheat, but ya gotta have evidence to make it stick.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:08 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Race is an interesting concept with this Brady vs Goodell issue, one I never gave thought to. But as others have alluded it's probably a stretch to think that way.

I think it's all about power and business. Goodell has 32 owners to appease. The NFL has done horribly with cases this past year+. Because this involved the face of the NFL, it was power against power, Goodell trying to prove no one is above him. The actual facts of the case and potential guilt were tossed aside by Goodell with his "independent" Wells report that millions was spent on to prove he was going to get to the bottom of the issue. To arbitrate his own penalty was probably the most moronic move in business I've seen in a long time, regardless if the CBA gives him the right to do so.

IMO he now looks like a clown, and instead of pointing fingers at Brady tossing the word integrity around like candy, he's busy making a mockery of his own business because he's not focusing on fixing things internally. He is a horrid "ruler" of the owners of the NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events