Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 03:31 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times

Advertisements

SAN JOSE, CALIF. An inmate at a county jail died of multiple blunt force injuries and three Northern California correctional deputies have been arrested on suspicion of murder in his death at a county jail, sheriff's officials said Thursday. Santa Clara County sheriff's spokesman Sgt. James Jensen said the deputies — Rafael Rodriguez, Jereh Lubrin and Matthew Farris— remain in custody. They are being held without bail.

Medical Examiner Dr. Joseph O'Hara reports that 31-year-old inmate Michael James Pipkin Tyree died of multiple blunt force injuries, "visceral lacerations" and internal bleeding. Exactly what happened to cause his death remained unclear Thursday afternoon. Tyree died last week at the jail. He had pleaded no contest to petty theft.
(the victim is identified as a white transient)
3 California correctional deputies arrested in inmate death | The Sacramento Bee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 04:16 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,704 times
Wait! I thought there was no such thing as due process or prosecutions of police who violate the laws? This must be a completely fabricated story, it can't happen when everyone knows the police are never charged with crimes.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:20 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times
I didn't read the full article. Are they sheriff or correction? This crime brings back some memory. I used to work with a guy from the LA county sheriff department. He would tell me how he and his fellow deputies took care of inmates who were out of line. He talked with such glee and pride. Scary stuff.

And look at those pictures. What gangs did they hire these guys from?

Old 09-03-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I didn't read the full article. Are they sheriff or correction? This crime brings back some memory. I used to work with a guy from the LA county sheriff department. He would tell me how he and his fellow deputies took care of inmates who were out of line. He talked with such glee and pride. Scary stuff.
They call them "correctional deputies" and I'm not sure what that means. Most agencies use a lot of non-sworn personnel in jails now, but I went to the San Mateo Sheriff website and they don't list "correctional deputy" they list "correctional officer" as an entry level sworn position so I'm guessing these guys did have peace officer status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
And look at those pictures. What gangs did they hire these guys from?
I know you're kidding about that, but you might be closer to the truth than you imagine. I have a friend who worked for Calif. Dept. of Corrections, he was in ISU and was told to investigate rumors about a gang of correctional officers who were setting inmates up to fight with each other and helping move dope through the facility. Well he confirmed the information and they all had an identical gang tattoo and used gang hand signs. He turned them in and the powers that be didn't want to hear it, he ended up retiring and moving out of state after he and his family were threatened by the goons.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They call them "correctional deputies" and I'm not sure what that means. Most agencies use a lot of non-sworn personnel in jails now, but I went to the San Mateo Sheriff website and they don't list "correctional deputy" they list "correctional officer" as an entry level sworn position so I'm guessing these guys did have peace officer status.
I know you're kidding about that, but you might be closer to the truth than you imagine. I have a friend who worked for Calif. Dept. of Corrections, he was in ISU and was told to investigate rumors about a gang of correctional officers who were setting inmates up to fight with each other and helping move dope through the facility. Well he confirmed the information and they all had an identical gang tattoo and used gang hand signs. He turned them in and the powers that be didn't want to hear it, he ended up retiring and moving out of state after he and his family were threatened by the goons.
That did not happen. ISU does not investigate such matters. That is an undisputed facts except that only you might dispute it. In coordination with the Department of Justice SSU does that and they operate out of Sacramento. Your friend wasn't threatened nor was that the reason for the retirement. The facts are beyond dispute. It did not happen in any way close to what you described. You got bad information or made it up.

Last edited by Year2525; 09-03-2015 at 10:18 PM..

Old 09-03-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
That did not happen.
yep, it actually did happen & he even wrote a book about it, but why in the world would you think I would make it up? http://www.amazon.com/The-Green-Wall.../dp/1440140596

Old 09-03-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yep, it actually did happen & he even wrote a book about it, but why in the world would you think I would make it up? The Green Wall: The Story Of A Brave Prison Guard’S Fight Against Corruption Inside The United States’ Largest Prison System: D. J. Vodicka: 9781440140594: Amazon.com: Books
Nope, the incident was widely covered in the media and fully documented by the DOJ. Didn't happen the way you say. He wrote the book and called himself the brave guy eh? People at DOJ have a different read on what happened. Do yourself a favor, don't talk about thing you aren't absolutely certain of. I don't doubt you might have been told something but you don't know it first hand nor should you represent it as anything but heresay.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:39 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,663,810 times
They work for the santa clara county sheriffs department as deputies in the corrections department. The sheriff's department runs the jail.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Nope, the incident was widely covered in the media and fully documented by the DOJ. Didn't happen the way you say. He wrote the book and called himself the brave guy eh? People at DOJ have a different read on what happened. Do yourself a favor, don't talk about thing you aren't absolutely certain of. I don't doubt you might have been told something but you don't know it first hand nor should you represent it as anything but heresay.
Quit stalking me and calling me a liar. Consider this the first and last warning that you will receive.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
They work for the santa clara county sheriffs department as deputies in the corrections department. The sheriff's department runs the jail.
In San Mateo and Santa Clara most if not all deputies have to do a stint at the jail before they hit the streets,usually one year in duration.
If I remember right the idea is to introduce them to a wide variety of criminals in a controlled setting where simple mistakes won't get them killed, not to mention getting their jails staffed without having to actually hire/beg officers for the job...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events