Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 05:50 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times

Advertisements

Marion County judge refuses to perform same-sex marriages

This ought to be interesting. What makes it different from the Kentucky case is that there are other available judges in the county to provide the service and judges in the county are not required to perform marriages as part of their job.

Quote:
Spokesman Patrick Korten said Day instructed his staff to tell couples that the judge will not perform same-sex marriages. The staffers were instructed to refer same-sex couples to other Marion County judges willing to issue them a marriage license.

Korten said Day took the action based on his “deeply-held religious beliefs.”

“It’s an exercise of his religious freedom rights under the First Amendment,” Korten said.

Day hasn’t performed any same-sex marriages since he joined the bench in 2011, but only stopped doing marriages of any kind this past spring. Judges in Marion County are not required to perform marriages, and Marion County’s website lists five active judges and one retired judge who are available for marriage ceremonies.

That decision led to an ethics investigation by the Oregon Commission on Judicial Fitness, Korten said.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:00 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

This ought to be interesting. What makes it different from the Kentucky case is that there are other available judges in the county to provide the service and judges in the county are not required to perform marriages as part of their job.
Not a required part of his job. As long as he is not performing any marriages, he is not discriminating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 06:21 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
I got no dog in this fight.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Not a required part of his job. As long as he is not performing any marriages, he is not discriminating.
I agree.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:46 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,101 times
If (s)he were the chief judge and ordered that no judges in the district could officiate GLBT marriages either … then there would be a problem ...

Old 09-04-2015, 06:49 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,337 times
If its not in their job description there isnt any problem.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
If (s)he were the chief judge and ordered that no judges in the district could officiate GLBT marriages either … then there would be a problem ...
Well, he isn't and didn't. A list of those willing to perform the service were provided.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:58 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/stor...ages/71669492/

"In Marion County, judges are not required to perform marriages. Marion County's website lists five active judges and one retired judge who are available for ceremonies. Day is not on that list."

Probably nothing will happen.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:23 AM

125 posts, read 159,124 times

If other judges are available to perform marriages, I don't think there's a problem. I'm gay but I think the media blows these situations way out of proportion.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:33 AM

125 posts, read 159,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

It shouldn't be interesting at all. So long as the judge opts out of all marriages, I don't see what the problem is, especially considering there are other judges in that area who are still willing to perform marriages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events