Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:32 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is one misstep in a long history of missteps and misadventures in that region - and many, many countries have meddled in that region for many, many years. Not just the US and the UK. Russia, China, India, Pakistan, Australia, Japan, etc etc etc - any country with any oil interests at all has been coon fingering and jockeying for position and advantage and courting crazy radical Islamists and betting on various horses (none of which seem to cooperate in the long run) and then saying "Oh, ****!" and deploying troops or selling arms to various locales for many years.

It's a hot mess, but you know what they say about sleeping with the enemy and politics making strange bed partners. Big business makes strange bedfellows as well.
Prior to WWl there were no actual national borders on the Arabian Peninsula. It was basically a few city-states and open land.

The problems really escalated with oil and the formation of the "Big 7" oil conglomerates.

Instant wealth = Instant Trouble
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 02:56 PM

31,896 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Does Germany still feel guilty for WWII?

Actually was watching news coverage of Berlin's "open armed" welcome of these migrants on PBS last light. The reporter asked one of the Berliner volunteers if she was helping out of "gulit about Germany's past...); her reply was "yes" for that and a few other reasons. So there you are then.

The interview was part of PBS/Nightline.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:03 PM

31,896 posts, read 26,926,466 times
This will not end well for many of the refugees, especially those in Germany. As with other waves of Muslims into that and other European countries the children and or those born after arrival stand a better chance.

Unless one has working German language skills finding employment legally will be difficult to impossible. Learning German is *not* easy especially for older persons. There will be required exams in order to move along the path and or to obtain permission to work in certain if not all areas. Know Americans who followed their German spouses to that country and still after several years cannot find work easily because of limited language skills. Those that did find work were through contacts and basically are either working off the books or even legally but for Americans or English bosses.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
While Europe struggles to make room for the fleeing migrants the richest Arab nations do nothing for them. The fleeing migrants are mostly Muslim Syrians. I thought they are suppose to help their muslim brothers in a time of need. Yet as of this date here is their acceptance statistics:

Saudi Arabia-0
Quatar-0
Kuwait-0
UAE-0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rias-refugees/

No uproar from the liberal press. Only uproar from liberal press is we are not doing enough.
Not surprising. Yet so many Muslims hate the West rather than the rich Arab elites/royalty who do nothing for their own people. And that's the way those wealthy elite want it. Deflect the blame so they can continue sitting pretty on their immense inherited wealth.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
This is why I don't like Arab countries even thou I am of Syrian Descent but I am not a Muslim thank god.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:16 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
While Europe struggles to make room for the fleeing migrants the richest Arab nations do nothing for them. The fleeing migrants are mostly Muslim Syrians. I thought they are suppose to help their muslim brothers in a time of need. Yet as of this date here is their acceptance statistics:

Saudi Arabia-0
Quatar-0
Kuwait-0
UAE-0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rias-refugees/

No uproar from the liberal press. Only uproar from liberal press is we are not doing enough.

I don't think those countries would be considered ideal in the eyes of the Syrians, abuse of migrant workers there isn't uncommon there are so many video's documenting abusive treatment of foreign workers in that region.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLIZd-4ztXQ

Old 09-08-2015, 06:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Prior to WWl there were no actual national borders on the Arabian Peninsula. It was basically a few city-states and open land.

The problems really escalated with oil and the formation of the "Big 7" oil conglomerates.

Instant wealth = Instant Trouble

Right - which is why I was careful to use the term "region" rather than naming specific countries.

I agree that oil greatly exacerbated the problems in that region - though there has been civil unrest, upheaval, war, invasions and one unsavory regime after another for hundreds of years. Oil made it worse - it involved the world.

Not just the US.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:36 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Right - which is why I was careful to use the term "region" rather than naming specific countries.

I agree that oil greatly exacerbated the problems in that region - though there has been civil unrest, upheaval, war, invasions and one unsavory regime after another for hundreds of years. Oil made it worse - it involved the world.

Not just the US.
Yes, this area in particular, along with the Balkans and some other places in Eastern Europe, have always experienced unrest. I mean, we're talking about areas where people were repeatedly massacred, areas that have been completely depopulated time and again due to conflict. When the Mongols conquered Baghdad in 1258, they literally drove each and every civilian out of the city onto a plain and slaughtered them all - men, women, and children. That's where the term "killing fields" originally came from. And that's just one small example. There have always been outside powers and empires fighting over these regions, at the expense of their peoples and cultures, since antiquity. They have never learned to exist in a way that does not involve war, murder, genocide, etc.

This is actually a really interesting op ed from CNN by a Muslim about the situation. I don't agree with everything he writes but he does raise some very valid points. The Middle East would like to blame colonialism, and thus Europe/the US, for the state in which it finds itself, but China, India, South America, etc. were all colonized yet do not experience these problems.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/03/opinio...ies/index.html

Old 09-08-2015, 06:42 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:

Not just the US.
True there are many nations and people involved. It is quite complex and many factors are at fault.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
True there are many nations and people involved. It is quite complex and many factors are at fault.
I agree - it's a hot mess.

Here are some pithy phrases that apply to that region:

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

"But why are you surprised I'm acting like a snake? I AM a snake."

Don't sleep with the devil.

Politics makes strange bedfellows.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Oil and water don't mix.

Speaking of oil:

Blood for oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events