Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:51 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times

Advertisements

Wow, I thought this would be one situation where there will be a consensus that it was insensitive or in bad taste, but I was proven wrong by CD.

"Oh, those crybaby Jews bitching about Holocaust again! It didn't happen. And if it did, it was 70 years ago, get over it already. And people other than Jews were killed, too. Boohoo."

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 03:44 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Wow, I thought this would be one situation where there will be a consensus that it was insensitive or in bad taste, but I was proven wrong by CD.

"Oh, those crybaby Jews bitching about Holocaust again! It didn't happen. And if it did, it was 70 years ago, get over it already. And people other than Jews were killed, too. Boohoo."

Mick
YOU said it, we didn't.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:19 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
yeah, crass like visiting the USS Arizona or the 9/11 memorial or the tomb of the unknown soldier.

Even by C-D standards, most of the responses in this thread are clueless.
These were attacks........Auschwitz should have been burnt to the ground to never be seen again. The horrors and memories are still there......I think some would claim people left the place for demons to walk it.

When you go to the places you mentioned, they happen to be displayed in a way that also honors the victims. 9/11 memorial cost the American people a lot to give a few people a place of solitude.

IMO the money should have helped the children of the victims or some place that benefited people beyond 9/11......not a reflecting pond!

Old 09-09-2015, 06:51 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Couldn't it also be argued that going to Auschwitz as a tourist is in bad taste, as well? Thousands of people were murdered there. It's not the Grand Canyon.
What about places in our own country that people today flock to. like Gettysburg, The Alamo, Perry's Monument (on Put N Bay in Lake Erie)...ect...ect? Murder took place at these locations as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Best way to learn about history is to be where it happened.

This!

Old 09-09-2015, 07:43 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
What about places in our own country that people today flock to. like Gettysburg, The Alamo, Perry's Monument (on Put N Bay in Lake Erie)...ect...ect? Murder took place at these locations as well.
As long as you're bringing it up, how would American tourists react if the WW2 memorials in Hawaii were all guarded by people that strongly looked Japanese? Or the WTC were guarded by people that strongly looked Arab? Do you really think people would feel at ease, especially those who lived through it, with these scenarios?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:55 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
As long as you're bringing it up, how would American tourists react if the WW2 memorials in Hawaii were all guarded by people that strongly looked Japanese? Or the WTC were guarded by people that strongly looked Arab? Do you really think people would feel at ease, especially those who lived through it, with these scenarios?

Well... I'm not perpetually "offended" nor play the victim card, so I guess that it wouldn't bother me. BTW are these people in your scenario American citizens? Furthermore, aren't many of those who live in Hawaii of Japanese decent? My point is as hawk explained, best way to learn about history is to be where it happened. Wiping it away as painful as some of it may be does nothing to help us learn from our past mistakes.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:19 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
[quote=no1brownsfan;41134737]What about places in our own country that people today flock to. like Gettysburg, The Alamo, Perry's Monument (on Put N Bay in Lake Erie)...ect...ect? Murder took place at these locations as well.
Little bit of a difference these people were just killed, not tortured and screaming day after day. The Alamo happened to be fighting men, something our country is beginning to lack.

My guess it was a couple of people who complained, not many!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:32 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Atually I went there three years ago. What did happen to Jews was despicable, but Poland suffered as much. I'm not condoning anything, but concentration camps were only about killing Jews, many more people other than them encountered death there.
Hitler was evil incarnate. He wanted a perfect race and believe if successful in his war againt humanity the same thing would have taken place in any nation he would by conquered. Anyone he determined were difficent in any way were a target. In his mind he would have ruled for over 1000 yrs and that world he would have purged and purified before it came. Shows he was a true madman.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:36 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well... I'm not perpetually "offended" nor play the victim card, so I guess that it wouldn't bother me. BTW are these people in your scenario American citizens? Furthermore, aren't many of those who live in Hawaii of Japanese decent? My point is as hawk explained, best way to learn about history is to be where it happened. Wiping it away as painful as some of it may be does nothing to help us learn from our past mistakes.
Since you skipped over the second part of my question about the World Trade Center, do you think New Yorkers overreacted over the construction of the Ground Zero Mosque?

Mosque Plan Near 9/11 World Trade Center Site Wins Key Vote Despite Protests - ABC News

and four years later

Park51, So-Called 'Ground Zero Mosque' Site, Has Been Requested For Demolition

Old 10-24-2015, 10:04 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Default Auschwitz & the National Holocaust Museum in D.C.

[quote=Yeledaf;41126861]What becomes of Auschwitz is of course the business of the Polish government. To my mind, it is an appropriate memorial site -- and a very moving one.

On the other hand, the National Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC, standing on the Federal Mall, surrounded by institutions and memorials of American achievement and excellence, is NOT apprpriate. America's only connection to the Holocaust was our efforts to end it and destroy the Nazis. Such a place of cruelty, horror and shame belongs in the place where it occurred -- such as Auschwitz.[/quote]

We just returned from Europe and toured Auschwitz. It was unbelievably sad and horrifying to see what human beings can do to each other. It is an important reminder not to let something like this ever happen again.

BYW, there were no showers going off when we were there a month ago. Everything was treated with great solemnity.

However, I disagree with your comments about the National Holocaust Museum in Washington, D. C. Even though it is certainly a scaled down version of Auschwitz, it does give people who will never be able to travel to Auschwitz a view of the horror that such evil can render. Also, expressions of America's efforts in WWII to stop the Nazis and actually play a huge part in saving Europe should never be considered inappropriate or downgraded. Many thousands of American soldiers lost their lives in WWII.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events