Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 11:24 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times

Advertisements

Funny how so many people who don't care about Cecil are taking the time to follow and post!

Anywho, for those who are really interested in conservation here is an interesting article on Cecil:

Twisting Tales – Cecil and Jericho » Friends of Hwange Trust

Old 09-08-2015, 11:36 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times
It takes a special sociopathic personality to kill, and enjoy doing it, a beautiful animal like that. I would be very nervous having someone like that working on my teeth. Since he approves of beheading, I would gladly chip in on a one way trip to Iraq or some other like minded country.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:37 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
This is, in no way, a newsworthy event. Sorry. Try again.
So why are you here?

Old 09-08-2015, 11:55 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
His staff obviously want to keep their jobs, but what kind of person would willingly be a patient of a "doctor" who derives pleasure in poaching lions?

And, moreover, who would give their hard-earned money to him so he can go out and kill more living things? There are plenty of good dentists out there who aren't sadistic animal killers.
I have no idea how any of my, numerous, medical pros take their ...pleasures. Do you? I'm genuinally curious, I'm not being snarky. Most folks don't hang out with their doctors. Don't know them, personally, or much care . So long as they are good at what they do, who they are, matters little.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have no idea how any of my, numerous, medical pros take their ...pleasures. Do you? I'm genuinally curious, I'm not being snarky. Most folks don't hang out with their doctors. Don't know them, personally, or much care . So long as they are good at what they do, who they are, matters little.
I always Google new providers. I most certainly know what I can about them.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:06 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Funny how so many people who don't care about Cecil are taking the time to follow and post!

Anywho, for those who are really interested in conservation here is an interesting article on Cecil:

Twisting Tales – Cecil and Jericho » Friends of Hwange Trust
Caring about the lion himself and caring about voicing opinions about the public outrage that many feel is unnecessary is not the same thing.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Caring about the lion himself and caring about voicing opinions about the public outrage that many feel is unnecessary is not the same thing.
Right.......

Old 09-08-2015, 12:12 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Good for him. After all the fake outrage died down the authorities quietly walked away because they knew he did nothing wrong. Who ever heard od Cecil before this? That's right - nobody. He bought a very expensive permit to hunt a lion. He shot a lion outside the protected area. This whole thing was a manufactured story by the PETA types who got offended when the pictures made their way around social media.
To some, it is about Cecil.

To others...like me...it is about the arrogance of hiring people who don't know any better to help you corner an animal and then shooting it, not for food and need, but for "sport". Then the animal is thrown away....after they cut the head off, or skin the beast so the "hunter" can bring home the spoils for all to see what a macho danger slaying man he is.

Macho man? How about weak little dweeb with no respect for life and how precious it is...for all. Nothing wrong with the food chain....except we somehow protect those, like the dentist, who are too weak/stupid to protect themselves.

My final thought is we let the dentist go in a protected area. Hang some fresh, raw meat from his flank, and see how he does against a pride of hungry lions. Isn't that basically what he though was "sport"?

Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
To some, it is about Cecil.

To others...like me...it is about the arrogance of hiring people who don't know any better to help you corner an animal and then shooting it, not for food and need, but for "sport". Then the animal is thrown away....after they cut the head off, or skin the beast so the "hunter" can bring home the spoils for all to see what a macho danger slaying man he is.

Macho man? How about weak little dweeb with no respect for life and how precious it is...for all. Nothing wrong with the food chain....except we somehow protect those, like the dentist, who are too weak/stupid to protect themselves.

My final thought is we let the dentist go in a protected area. Hang some fresh, raw meat from his flank, and see how he does against a pride of hungry lions. Isn't that basically what he though was "sport"?
That's the problem I have with it. Despite all the arguments about how trophy hunting supports wildlife conservation, feeds local populations (but not in this case however), being legal (maybe, but not in this case), etc., the fact remains that this lion died for no other reason than a human being wanted to kill it. That was his only motive.
I don't think the dentist's life should be ruined over this incident, and don't agree with some of the over-the-top hate directed at him. But in the end if his professional life is ruined, I really don't care. I despise what he did, and if there are consequences, so be it.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:50 PM

10,718 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Control of lions is not necessary. They aren't endangered but they are close to getting there. Hence the reason for collaring them and providing protected lands for them to live and breed.

Less than 5% of the proceeds from the hunting permits goes toward conservation. If exotic hunters were so concerned with wildlife conservation they could simply donate money, but then I suppose it wouldn't be as much fun as shooting an animal, watching it die, skinning and beheading it and having something to brag about to their friends as they gaze at the poor creatures head hanging on their wall.

Trophy hunters cannot fathom the repulsion detractors feel for their actions, and detractors cannot fathom how anyone can think trophy hunting is acceptable. From the public's response to Dr. Palmer's murder of Cecil, it appears the majority feel as I do - trophy hunting is morally wrong.
Trophy hunting is responsible for a relatively small number of lion kills every year. The biggest problems facing lion populations are loss of habitat, loss of prey animal carrying capacity of the existing habitat, and wholesale slaughter of lions by indigenous Africans who are trying to protect their cattle herds.

When there is trophy hunting, a lion becomes very valuable, and precious resources will be expended by both governments and hunt operators to maintain reproducing, huntable populations of lions. Without trophy hunting, lions have no value. They will be indiscriminately killed in order to protect cattle, and their habitat will be converted to cattle grazing areas and crop growing areas.

You may not like it, but without trophy hunting, lions are likely doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events