Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 09:51 AM

10,737 posts, read 5,664,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I didn't say who got the money - I said the LIVE animals are the draw. Who do you think benefits from these expensive licenses to kill these animals? I handful of corrupt officials - they sure don't pass it on to the people.
You really have no idea how the safari industry works. That makes this discussion rather pointless.

If you decide to educate yourself a bit more on the subject and want to revisit this, let me know.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:55 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I didn't say who got the money - I said the LIVE animals are the draw. Who do you think benefits from these expensive licenses to kill these animals? I handful of corrupt officials - they sure don't pass it on to the people.
But what that money does in incentivize the local officials to protect the animals well being. If the animals are worth big money to a hunter it behooves them to protect the animal against poachers.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:06 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
But what that money does in incentivize the local officials to protect the animals well being. If the animals are worth big money to a hunter it behooves them to protect the animal against poachers.
And money to the locals.

I know this year alone my husband has spent well over $30,000 hunting and fishing right here in Michigan.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Interesting article.

Not bad, but not completely accurate. Note the organization that the primary referenced source works for.

Last edited by TaxPhd; 09-09-2015 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Oops! Typing without my brain fully engaged.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Former hunter here … I understand hunting …

Many of my north woods congregants hunted for meat (not trophies) … My oldest brother and his number two son have been avid lifelong hunters …

There are good responsible hunters and there are *slob* hunters ...
Deer hunting in Minnesota is great, but it won't give you any insight into the issues surrounding management and conservation of African game, particularly the Big 5.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:02 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
I have nothing against hunting per se, wouldn't interest me at all but I've lived in regions where deer season, or ducks, etc., are shot & eaten later, the experience can be bonding for friends & family & prevents certain species from getting out of control. I don't anthropomorphize animals either whether deer or dogs or lions, we are currently the top of the food chain & that has rights & responsibilities (I believe).

But for somebody to travel a far distance to kill, merely for sport, & then proudly pose with the carcass of a dead animal whose species is dwindling in numbers makes me angry, almost livid. What psychological shortcomings, combined with supreme selfishness & entitlement does this pathetic individual suffer from that this is something they would be proud of?

To me this is the entitled class' version of those idiots that commit a burglary or other crime & post a proud selfie of themselves completely oblivious to how ridiculous & pathetic they look to most people. Problem is there seems to be a real increase in the population of oblivious knuckleheads in this world & a decrease in the world's animal species.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:07 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Deer hunting in Minnesota is great, but it won't give you any insight into the issues surrounding management and conservation of African game, particularly the Big 5.
Ecosystems and the human cultures that depend upon them do vary globally …

But, bedsides whitetails, the Minnesota North Woods host the largest population of timber wolves in the lower 48, moose and elk, and a small population of mountain lions …

But, I agree that any and all "hunters" and their activities must be managed and controlled for the sake of the animals they hunt ...

Old 09-09-2015, 01:33 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
I'm gonna find me a Dentist who doesn't eat meat.....Meat eating Dentists are wanton killers of chickens and cows et al......even though it's done indoors by others....I may have a long hunt to find me a dentist who eats vegan....but I don't want a killer drilling in my mouth.....lol

Really ? You really think this is an accurate analogy with regard to this situation ? Do you really not see the difference......or are you just fooling with us ?

You don't see the difference between a dentist who eats meat and a dentist who pays a ton of money to travel to Africa to kill something for the pure pleasure of killing something....oh, and he gets to put his name on a list of some club for having killed this exotic creature, and perhaps mount an animal head on the wall of his study ?

Mr Palmer kept saying "it was a legal hunt and I never would have killed this animal if I knew it had a name and was well loved".

Whatever, but he's missing the point by 180 degrees. I'm not so much worried whether it was a legal hunt so much as I'm worried about what makes a person take such joy in killing something for the pure joy of killing something. If you kill to eat as most traditional hunters do....I'm 100% fine with that. If you want to shoot a deer or bear or any other animal and leave it laying in the woods to rot away....I am not fine with that. It make me wonder why anyone could make a moral or ethical argument for someone who takes such pleasure from pure 100% bloodlust as aparantly Dr Palmer does.

I doubt the Dr is a stupid man....but obviously something in his ethical/moral make up is seriously compromised. Oh yes, that's right, it was a legal hunt as he keeps reminding us.....lol.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:50 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
You do realize that all predators hunt for sport.
With a great deal less concern for the other species. Even to extinction.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:03 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
You do realize that all predators hunt for sport.
With a great deal less concern for the other species. Even to extinction.
A Natural (non human) predator that hunts its prey to extinction will soon hunt itself into extinction …

(Hey … !!! We foolish humans, who think ourselves wise enough to "manage" the entire Earth, may well do just that very thing …)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events