Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 07:11 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Certainly the dentist guy vs. "Cecil" has raised this question to a higher level of public awareness, and that is a good thing, IMHO …
Yes, a LOT of fake outrage was generated...thanks for proving that point...
Quote:
As to your missing the points I have made repeatedly in this discussion, well … Not my problem ...
And I have asked numerous questions to make your point, yet you have failed to answer....that's your problem, not mine....you know those sentences with the "?" at the end, after YOU are quoted....those are questions directed at you....

Old 09-09-2015, 07:17 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,559 times
I have been consistently clear in my *take* on this controversial situation:

(1) I oppose "trophy" hunting for both (A) "ethical" and (B) sound biological reasons, even though/when "trophy" hunting is "legal" …

(2) I oppose "trophy" hunting everywhere it is practiced -- not only in Africa …

(3) I accept hunting for food as both acceptable and, for some, necessary …

This is not rocket science …

Old 09-09-2015, 07:42 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
I have been consistently clear in my *take* on this controversial situation:

(1) I oppose "trophy" hunting for both (A) "ethical" and (B) sound biological reasons, even though/when "trophy" hunting is "legal" …

(2) I oppose "trophy" hunting everywhere it is practiced -- not only in Africa …

(3) I accept hunting for food as both acceptable and, for some, necessary …

This is not rocket science …
Now, you have made that distinction, if you can show us where in this very thread where you have stated what you have JUST stated, then please do, I don't think you can, and if you DO, I will apologize here in this very thread!

Be exact, and provide your posts that say agree with word for word of what you say in above (1), (2), and (3), not your interpenetration of what you think you said.

The reason I ask this is because I have asked you a question or 2, and you have refused to answer, would you like me to provide my direct quotes, or do you think you can go back over the last 10 pages and find them, i'll do it for you if you don't have the gumption....

Old 09-09-2015, 07:55 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
....and the hundreds of thousands never cared about "trophy" hunting until this dentist crap happened.
I think most people definitely do care about trophy hunting and are disgusted by it.

Many years ago, a neighbor I had just met invited me over to her house for coffee and her family room wall was covered with animal heads which her husband killed and had stuffed, and they were referred to as trophies.

I was very uncomfortable (and disgusted; the place gave me the creeps), and told her that although she seems very nice, herself, that I could not be comfortable in her home and knew that I could not be friends with her husband and that would put a damper on any friendship we might have, so I excused myself and left right away. She said that I wasn't the only one who felt this way, and that her husband's hobby caused her to have few friends. I really felt sorry for her (and truthfully, I silently questioned her judgment in choice of husbands and her meekness); however, feeling sorry for someone is not the basis for a good friendship.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Now, you have made that distinction, if you can show us where in this very thread where you have stated what you have JUST stated, then please do, I don't think you can, and if you DO, I will apologize here in this very thread!

Be exact, and provide your posts that say agree with word for word of what you say in above (1), (2), and (3), not your interpenetration of what you think you said.

The reason I ask this is because I have asked you a question or 2, and you have refused to answer, would you like me to provide my direct quotes, or do you think you can go back over the last 10 pages and find them, i'll do it for you if you don't have the gumption....
You seem to want to make this some kind of p*ssing contest between you and me …

I'm not interested …

I am interested in the discussion at hand re: the ethics of "trophy" hunting …

My stance is clear and public ...

Old 09-09-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I think most people definitely do care about trophy hunting and are disgusted by it.

Many years ago, a neighbor I had just met invited me over to her house for coffee and her family room wall was covered with animal heads which her husband killed and had stuffed, and they were referred to as trophies.

I was very uncomfortable (and disgusted; the place gave me the creeps), and told her that although she seems very nice, herself, that I could not be comfortable in her home and knew that I could not be friends with her husband and that would put a damper on any friendship we might have, so I excused myself and left right away. She said that I wasn't the only one who felt this way, and that her husband's hobby caused her to have few friends. I really felt sorry for her (and truthfully, I silently questioned her judgment in choice of husbands and her meekness); however, feeling sorry for someone is not the basis for a good friendship.

I have a very close friend (high school lab partner in sophomore enriched biology):

He has been county chair of his local GOP … (I'm a lifelong very active Democrat) …

He is a gun enthusiast (though definitely not a gun nut) … (I am a gun owner, former hunter, former NRA member …)

… and
he once went on a guided hunting safari in southern Africa -- not for "trophies," but for the experience of hunting in Africa … All of the "bush meat" was used by local people and he did not take any animals that are endangered or threatened …

Many of us have personal experiences and feelings about these questions ...

Old 09-09-2015, 08:22 PM

563 posts, read 524,129 times
Default This Dentist must be impotent?

Who cares?

Old 09-10-2015, 03:12 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Michael Vick runs a dog fighting ring.........Verdict...Multiple YEARS in prison.

Minnesota wealthy dentist Kills AT LEAST one ENDANGERED SPECIES.........Verdict........NONE. Not even a slap on the wrist.

The things people get away with.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:36 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
So you did not post the quote below?

I responded to what you posted, not what your preferences are....
Yes I did and if you have followed along with the thread you'll see why I posted that statement.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
I, for one, have never watched "Born Free" … or "The Lion King," so …

Nor do I "'romanticize' Nature," but I understand some things about Nature, and I respect Nature ...
I'll ask again. Why do you and other exclude human beings from being a part of "Nature"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events