Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 04:25 PM

191 posts, read 213,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
What is abundantly (pun fully intended) clear, however, is that "trophy" hunting is not a scientifically sound method for management of a wild population ...

I don't see ANYTHING that suggests that other than your personal assertion. IIR?C you, have posted about friend who hunt without licenses (IE actively and knowingly act counter to wildlife management) but you seemed to think it OK because they ate what they killed.

While I generally eat what I harvest, the example you had presented seems to justify MIS-MANAGMENT of wildlife resources as long as the harvest is used as YOU see fit appears to be more than a little hypocritical.

Again, I am not much of a big game hunter, but I recognize that the fees charged for permits often represent the vast majority of the resources available for wildlife habitat conservation. Literally MILLIONS of dollars are contributed by hunters and anglers for the conservation of habitat, whether for the Desert Bighorn Sheep or Grizzly Bears or whitetail deer or mallard ducks. Your "I don't need to pay a license fee cause I eat what I shoot" is FAR worse for animals than the hunters who buy their licenses and hunt according to the law.

The worst that can be said about this guy is that while he was properly licensed, he shot the lion in the wrong area. Should he expect to pay a fine for screwing up? Probably, but not the kind of "punishment" that people who simply disapprove of hunting want.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:30 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The link provided by dblackga above contains a lot of very interesting information. If you spend a bit of time reading there, you will kind that the conclusion you have drawn is not correct.

Heck, every state in the US uses sport hunting (including trophies) as one of, if not the primary, management tool.
Yes …
It's a hand*and*glove, very common mutual back scratching arrangement … but "trophy" hunting is not a sound management tool …

See my post #404, above ...

Old 09-13-2015, 04:33 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip OK View Post
I don't see ANYTHING that suggests that other than your personal assertion. IIR?C you, have posted about friend who hunt without licenses (IE actively and knowingly act counter to wildlife management) but you seemed to think it OK because they ate what they killed.

While I generally eat what I harvest, the example you had presented seems to justify MIS-MANAGMENT of wildlife resources as long as the harvest is used as YOU see fit appears to be more than a little hypocritical.

Again, I am not much of a big game hunter, but I recognize that the fees charged for permits often represent the vast majority of the resources available for wildlife habitat conservation. Literally MILLIONS of dollars are contributed by hunters and anglers for the conservation of habitat, whether for the Desert Bighorn Sheep or Grizzly Bears or whitetail deer or mallard ducks. Your "I don't need to pay a license fee cause I eat what I shoot" is FAR worse for animals than the hunters who buy their licenses and hunt according to the law.

The worst that can be said about this guy is that while he was properly licensed, he shot the lion in the wrong area. Should he expect to pay a fine for screwing up? Probably, but not the kind of "punishment" that people who simply disapprove of hunting want.
I do not argue against "hunting," but I recognize that specifically "trophy" hunting is not a scientifically sound approach to managing a wild population …

Sorry, but, it's simply a fact … See my post #404, above ...

Old 09-13-2015, 04:33 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip OK View Post

Trophy hunting is really for men who have undersized anatomy and who know it....their desperate attempt to make up for their shortcoming by killing big games with high power weapons should be pitied by the general public. The more people tell these guys what their fixation on killing really means the better.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:59 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Trophy hunting is really for men who have undersized anatomy and who know it....their desperate attempt to make up for their shortcoming by killing big games with high power weapons should be pitied by the general public. The more people tell these guys what their fixation on killing really means the better.
LOL.........you don't know my husband.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:05 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
What is abundantly (pun fully intended) clear, however, is that "trophy" hunting is not a scientifically sound method for management of a wild population ...
Yet it happens yearly here in the good old United States of America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just admit it, you and the thousands of other people have fake outrage...

Let me google that for you

Old 09-13-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Yes …
It's a hand*and*glove, very common mutual back scratching arrangement … but "trophy" hunting is not a sound management tool …

See my post #404, above ...
Provide the link for post 404...so we can see what is before and after you cherry picked quote...

I know you won't because as you have told us many times, you are a "biologist."

And BTW you are now changing your discussion....

You went from trophy hunting is bad to trophy hunting is not a sound management tool....

LOL...Hell, I can keep up with your posts, why can't you?

Old 09-13-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yet it happens yearly here in the good old United States of America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just admit it, you and the thousands of other people have fake outrage...

Let me google that for you
My husband hunts deer.

There is not huge deer in our area.........so last year he went to Missouri to hunt.

And he got a buck with a beautiful rack.

The meat was eaten by us.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
My husband hunts deer.

There is not huge deer in our area.........so last year he went to Missouri to hunt.

And he got a buck with a beautiful rack.

The meat was eaten by us.

Of course!

You paid to do a hunt (trophy or not) and got what you LEGALLY paid for....Congrats...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-13-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Of course!

You paid to do a hunt (trophy or not) and got what you LEGALLY paid for....Congrats...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep.........and people had jobs because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events