Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 03:52 PM

10,710 posts, read 5,651,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Nice talking point. Show us the evidence.

The point that I asked you to support is your statement in this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Yes, again … Unfortunately "the system" is easily corrupted by money sloshing around ...
The "evidence" that you presented is in this quote:

Quote:
Corruption … Large sum of money paid; licenses and permits issued; "Cecil"lured and baited to leave refuge protection …
When I questioned your "evidence" this was your reply:

Quote:
"Facts" constitute "evidence" ...
And I agree with this statement - facts do indeed constitute evidence. However, there is nothing in the facts that you presented that supports your conclusion that the system was corrupted.

Where is the evidence of corruption?

Old 09-16-2015, 03:53 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times
Heck, anyway …

If "population control" is the goal, guys like (the late) "Cecil" could be captured, anesthetized and given a vasectomy … or his harem could be implanted with IUDs … or the cubs could be trapped out …

In fact, in some natural populations, various "birth control" measures have been used for some time ...

Old 09-16-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Thanks for proving my point....but someone else provided the link for you, right....you did say that was the link....

And it's a SUMMARY link...
Ummm … No …

My weekly copy of "Science" comes to me via postal mail, printed on old fashioned paper … NOT as a "link" ...

Old 09-16-2015, 03:55 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times
Quote:
I didn't "provide a 'link'" … I quoted from an article ...
You never do.
Guess what, nobody is going to Google your "article."

Old 09-16-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
my issue is with those who derive pleasure and indeed, joy, from killing other living beings.... so much so that they are willing to pay large sums of money to corrupt governments for the privilege of doing so......
Do you kill your own cows, pigs, and chickens? Or do you pay someone to do so on your behalf? If you pay others to do your dirty work for you, you occupy no moral high ground that would allow you to sling mud at hunters.

And like our resident biologist, Teilhard, you throw around accusations of corruption, when zero evidence has been presented to show that there was any corruption in this case.

Quote:
if the white man had not been corrupting the balance of nature there for the last 500 or 600 years or so, it is entirely possible the "cull" would not have even been necessary....
Very possible. But that genie is already out of the bottle. Speculating on what "might have been" does nothing to solve the issues in the reality that we actually face.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:58 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
People have to have the desire to kill for fun before they request and pay for the permits....

If that is how those people get their jollies.... killing animals being driven right to them for the pure pleasure of killing.... I guess I just don't understand that mindset.... and to be perfectly honest, I'm GLAD I don't understand it....

If the animals can not be relocated, then humane euthanization would be the least distasteful.... or euthanization in a manner that their bodies will not be wasted.....
Well, you'll have a heart attack then, when you find out "driving deer" is perfectly legal in some states right here in the good ole United States!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And unlike your leftist buddy, I'll provide a link to show I'm correct in what I say...

Deer-Drive Strategies | Outdoor Life

Quote:
Simply described, a drive is a strategy in which some hunters are posted along the outskirts of a specified piece of land, and other hunters-and dogs, where it is legal-move through the section pushing deer ahead and to
the sides.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
"Culling" a wild population that lacks natural controls is a different thing than deliberately taking out "trophy" specimens ...
You aren't even going to try to address this issue?

Quote:
Explain to us why he should forego the money that hunters would pay him, and instead spend his own money to accomplish the goal?

Old 09-16-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The point that I asked you to support is your statement in this quote:

The "evidence" that you presented is in this quote:

When I questioned your "evidence" this was your reply:

And I agree with this statement - facts do indeed constitute evidence. However, there is nothing in the facts that you presented that supports your conclusion that the system was corrupted.

Where is the evidence of corruption?
The folks posting in favor of "trophy" hunting in Africa
keep on keeping on about the money the money the money involved in "trophy" hunting in Africa…
and the reported fact is that "Cecil" was illegally (corruptly) lured, baited and killed -- in exchange for a large sum of money

That is by definition, "corruption" ...

Old 09-16-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Heck, anyway …

If "population control" is the goal, guys like (the late) "Cecil" could be captured, anesthetized and given a vasectomy … or his harem could be implanted with IUDs … or the cubs could be trapped out …

In fact, in some natural populations, various "birth control" measures have been used for some time ...
Who is going to pay for that for African game? You? You have had the opportunity to tell us all about the resources that you expend on the conservation efforts that you feel are appropriate. So far, all we hear is crickets.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
You never do.
Guess what, nobody is going to Google your "article."
I know that …

Nor will they read the other resources I suggested (E. O. Wilson, and Paul Colinvaux) …

Unfortunately, the modern internet connections (e.g., "links" and "Wikipedia") have encouraged excuses and laziness as an alternative to genuine study … *sigh* ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events