Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 02:01 PM

9,134 posts, read 5,783,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
If you hunting for fun folks are so proud of your "sport", then don't blame me for having no sympathies when you are attacked, injured or even killed by your prey. In fact, for you special lot, I am hoping that your prey fight back hard and successfully. And there should be a law that forbid the use of public money to rescue lost and injured hunters in the wild. Go at your own peril and cost.

I don't think hunters are looking for your sympathy.
Would you rescue a lost hiker? They spend far less on wildlife conservation.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:45 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times
Quote:
If you hunting for fun folks are so proud of your "sport", then don't blame me for having no sympathies when you are attacked, injured or even killed by your prey. In fact, for you special lot, I am hoping that your prey fight back hard and successfully. And there should be a law that forbid the use of public money to rescue lost and injured hunters in the wild. Go at your own peril and cost.
How about fishing????

Is that wrong too??

Old 09-07-2015, 03:42 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,134,421 times
Jeeeez ..... can't we all just get over Cecil? His time was about up anyway, and his death was fairly quick by lion standards, who often get too old to feed themselves and then die of starvation.

I think it's rather shocking that so many people around the world, most of them meat-eaters, are so disturbed by this that many of them are calling for his imprisonment. He was an old lion, fer chrissake. Not a human. There are people in that area with untreated medical conditions and periodic semi-starvation, nobody cares about them. There are people around the world who live in total misery from having their homes and families blown up gassed with Sarin, and many are tortured before being executed in the countless wars around this planet. Kids are wandering around alone as refugees without family. People starve to death in some places or suffer from terribly painful chronic medical maladies that could be treated, if they were able to afford it.

With priorities like this, no wonder the human race is so effed up.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:01 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,586,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Jeeeez ..... can't we all just get over Cecil? His time was about up anyway, and his death was fairly quick by lion standards, who often get too old to feed themselves and then die of starvation.

I think it's rather shocking that so many people around the world, most of them meat-eaters, are so disturbed by this that many of them are calling for his imprisonment. He was an old lion, fer chrissake. Not a human. There are people in that area with untreated medical conditions and periodic semi-starvation, nobody cares about them. There are people around the world who live in total misery from having their homes and families blown up gassed with Sarin, and many are tortured before being executed in the countless wars around this planet. Kids are wandering around alone as refugees without family. People starve to death in some places or suffer from terribly painful chronic medical maladies that could be treated, if they were able to afford it.

No kidding …

So a rich white guy from The USA feels perfectly fine about spending umpteen thousands upon thousands of $$$ on … trophy hunting …

Sick ...

Old 09-07-2015, 05:39 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
No kidding …

So a rich white guy from The USA feels perfectly fine about spending umpteen thousands upon thousands of $$$ on … trophy hunting …

Sick ...
Not if some of that "umpteen thousands" gives you a pay check.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:31 PM

3,673 posts, read 4,811,513 times
Wow! Wow! Wow! JUST wOW!

Didn't he get a LEGAL permit to LEGALLY hunt (NOT POACH) a lion. The people in that country make the rules and require permits which again were legally obtained. Why the outcry over here. I guerentee not a bit was wasted. I know people who have gone over there and hunted some of Africas big game. Yes, they are trophy hunting! Yes, they are also taking what they can of the meat and the rest goes to the locals. Even if all they wanted was the trophy, I personally see no harm in these situations. These hunters (again NOT poachers) are going through an outfitter and using a guide. If the hunter does not want the meat the guide/outfitter will make sure that it is utilized and given to the locals. Not everybody in every place on earth is blessed with having a grocery store right around the corner from them. Or has the money to buy items if there was one.

So that takes me to so called "trophy hunting". The "trophy" is just one part of the outcome as the meat is utilized as well. Many people go "trophy" hunting for whitetails and it actually benifits the herd. They pass up the younger ones and wait for that older trophy to come by that has already added his genes to the population for several years and might only live another year or two. Believe me, the meat is not wasted. true, those little corn fed youngins are tasty and tender but an older buck living his life on corn and beans has some tasty backstraps as well and can be taken to any of an assortment of places to get a winters supply hotdogs, jerky, sausages, snack sticks and practically any other meat based item from which can be healthy and quite tasty.

Then there are those mentioning that hunters hate nature. That is about as far from the truth as it gets. Nature watchers and bird lovers should be thanking us hunters. Your welcome for all the protected wildlife refuges and lands that we paid for. Your welcome for bringing many species (both game and non game) back and removed from the endangered species list!. Setting food plots has gotten quite common now to give deer a healthy diet and it ensure a healthy heard. Not only for the deer that may be hunted but every other animal in that area as well. Ponds are set up and many waterfowl hunters have one location that they absolutely will not hunt. It is protected by all means. It gives the birds a safe zone. Win win for all. More birds on the farms to hunt in the area. More birds staying over for the birdwatchers to watch.

Seems a lot here really need to educate themselves a bit on hunting and the good that comes from it. They need to learn that trophy hunting is not just trophy hunting (as in the case with some cat nobody heard of until last month). They also need to learn that poaching is totally different then hunting. Personally, I don't know a single hunter who supports poaching.

IMO, good on that dentist for returning and I recon he may even get new clients. A lot of people hunt in this country. If that really offends you, I hope you never pass through these parts and need to see a DR as many offices around here have assorted waterfowl mounts and paintings are usually centered around hunting.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:36 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,586,474 times
I have personally known hunters who occasionally engaged in poaching, but only for meat to feed a family, not for trophies ...

Old 09-07-2015, 11:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,968,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post

People are capable of caring about more then one issue at once.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:44 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,999,803 times
Quote:
I second this
This guy's office is just a few miles from my house. I really hope his dental practice goes down the crapper - no more safari hunts for him.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:41 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,919,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Wow! Wow! Wow! JUST wOW!

Didn't he get a LEGAL permit to LEGALLY hunt (NOT POACH) a lion. The people in that country make the rules and require permits which again were legally obtained. Why the outcry over here. I guerentee not a bit was wasted. I know people who have gone over there and hunted some of Africas big game. Yes, they are trophy hunting! Yes, they are also taking what they can of the meat and the rest goes to the locals. Even if all they wanted was the trophy, I personally see no harm in these situations. These hunters (again NOT poachers) are going through an outfitter and using a guide. If the hunter does not want the meat the guide/outfitter will make sure that it is utilized and given to the locals. Not everybody in every place on earth is blessed with having a grocery store right around the corner from them. Or has the money to buy items if there was one.

So that takes me to so called "trophy hunting". The "trophy" is just one part of the outcome as the meat is utilized as well. Many people go "trophy" hunting for whitetails and it actually benifits the herd. They pass up the younger ones and wait for that older trophy to come by that has already added his genes to the population for several years and might only live another year or two. Believe me, the meat is not wasted. true, those little corn fed youngins are tasty and tender but an older buck living his life on corn and beans has some tasty backstraps as well and can be taken to any of an assortment of places to get a winters supply hotdogs, jerky, sausages, snack sticks and practically any other meat based item from which can be healthy and quite tasty.

Then there are those mentioning that hunters hate nature. That is about as far from the truth as it gets. Nature watchers and bird lovers should be thanking us hunters. Your welcome for all the protected wildlife refuges and lands that we paid for. Your welcome for bringing many species (both game and non game) back and removed from the endangered species list!. Setting food plots has gotten quite common now to give deer a healthy diet and it ensure a healthy heard. Not only for the deer that may be hunted but every other animal in that area as well. Ponds are set up and many waterfowl hunters have one location that they absolutely will not hunt. It is protected by all means. It gives the birds a safe zone. Win win for all. More birds on the farms to hunt in the area. More birds staying over for the birdwatchers to watch.

Seems a lot here really need to educate themselves a bit on hunting and the good that comes from it. They need to learn that trophy hunting is not just trophy hunting (as in the case with some cat nobody heard of until last month). They also need to learn that poaching is totally different then hunting. Personally, I don't know a single hunter who supports poaching.

IMO, good on that dentist for returning and I recon he may even get new clients. A lot of people hunt in this country. If that really offends you, I hope you never pass through these parts and need to see a DR as many offices around here have assorted waterfowl mounts and paintings are usually centered around hunting.
Not in Cecil's case. The cowards skinned him, cut off his head, and left the rest.

Cecil the Lion -- Bones Will Become a Memorial | TMZ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.