Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 07:10 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
Someone needs to invent an alarm that senses motion inside a car when the tempo exceeds 85 deg for idiots like this. It would call the car owner and blow a loud horn. Sell them along with child car seats as a package,
It probably takes a while for an air-conditioned car to reach 85F. My car does have an internal motion-sensor that sounds the alarm when the doors are locked (can be disengaged for dogs by hitting lock twice). Every car should have it. Still, this motion thing doesn't help sleeping infants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 07:12 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
need to make those buzzer things law- they attach to the bay car seats, I think it should be a sensor that blast like hell if there is weight on it 3 min after door is locked
Sensor should come with an audible remote you also put on your keychain - don't want to be blasting noise next to an infant. Proximity is an issue though.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:30 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Sorry but these incidents are happening far too often for my liking.

Babies have been driven about in cars ever since cars were invented but leaving them to cook seems to be a 21st century thing.
Exactly... Now on another thread I pointed this out--how in the world can a parent forget their kid but not forget everything else? People chalked this up to an understandable but tragic mistake but yet this continues to happen and each time the parent gets a "pass" which inevitably makes it a lot easier for others to do the same thing. "Ooops forgot bobbie sue in the car.. Didn't mean to."

Some mistakes no matter how much they are a mistake should not be made and certainly when they are they should not be giving a pass.

Why didn't the grandparents just bring the baby into service? How could they forget they had the baby, and not see the huge a** car seat in the back of the car. How could they forget that they are watching their daughters kid especially if this what they do to help her. It's just beyond me that this type of stuff keeps happening.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:18 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

I wonder why we rarely hear about people leaving babies/kids in the back seat during frigid temps.
Perhaps people are more alert in cold temps.
The main reason is that it takes so much longer for the temperature to reach a point of critical danger. The interior temperature of a car in the sun will quickly rise well beyond the outside temperature. In cold weather, the temperature inside the car will change more slowly, and it will never get colder than the outside air.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:29 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Grandparents of the year winners right here! How on earth do 3 adults forget one child but remember the other? How does no one notice a child is missing until his mother wakes up? I will NEVER understand how a person forgets a child in their car. I feel absolutely no sympathy for these people....the mother has my sympathies. The poor woman is stuck with morons for family.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:36 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
[quote=Faith2187;41130984]Exactly... Now on another thread I pointed this out--how in the world can a parent forget their kid but not forget everything else? People chalked this up to an understandable but tragic mistake but yet this continues to happen and each time the parent gets a "pass" which inevitably makes it a lot easier for others to do the same thing./quote]

That makes no sense whatsoever. How does it make it "easier"? How would not giving them a "pass" have any effect on other parents?

The death of one's child is a more-serious punishment than whatever it is that you would propose. Parents already have all the motivation they need.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:03 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
[quote=hbdwihdh378y9;41131713]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Exactly... Now on another thread I pointed this out--how in the world can a parent forget their kid but not forget everything else? People chalked this up to an understandable but tragic mistake but yet this continues to happen and each time the parent gets a "pass" which inevitably makes it a lot easier for others to do the same thing./quote]

That makes no sense whatsoever. How does it make it "easier"? How would not giving them a "pass" have any effect on other parents?

The death of one's child is a more-serious punishment than whatever it is that you would propose. Parents already have all the motivation they need.

If what is bolded is right and parents already have all the motivation they need, then why does this happen?

Clearly some parents "forget" or become unmotivated I guess... To me these cases are instances of neglect.

You can disagree. I don't particularly care.

*shrugs*

Old 09-08-2015, 09:14 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
They are older, and may have memory issues. Not far-fetched. And if taking a child out of the back seat is not routine for them, it is believable that it was an innocent mistake. A tragic one, though. Poor baby That family will never be the same again, and my heart goes out to all of them.
Yes, very far-fetched for two grandparents (and who says they were extremely elderly, anyway; lots of grandparents in their 30's and 40's) who were capable of driving to church to both have memory issues at the same time that would allow this to happen. Sorry, something sounds fishy to me.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:23 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
They are older, and may have memory issues. Not far-fetched. And if taking a child out of the back seat is not routine for them, it is believable that it was an innocent mistake. A tragic one, though. Poor baby That family will never be the same again, and my heart goes out to all of them.
The laws prohibiting child seats in the front are pretty much as dumb as the 55mph speed limit...especially considering that modern vehicles deactivate the passenger air bag when there isn't the weight of an adolescent on the seat.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:33 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Love the sheriff's comment which basically boils down to, "We'll find a way to throw these people in prison somehow." Haven't these people suffered enough? Why has our society abandoned forgiveness?
Yup! This country is so wealthy we can certainly afford to lock up a couple more, grandparents, with murder charges. With incarceration costs of $40-50k a year, it's even more expensive to incarcerate elderly people! And while our infrastructure crumbles every day!

Forgiveness? Compassion? Now those are 2 words most American don't how to spell or know how to pronounce!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events