Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 10:24 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times

Advertisements

I apologize if there are other topics on this, I searched and couldn't find one.

A comedian, Nicole Arbour, put out a video, "Dear Fat People".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXFgNhyP4-A

I found the video pretty funny and pretty right on. It has blown up into a national topic about how people shouldn't be shaming fat people blah blah blah and so on.

YouTube actually pulled the video for a while for "hate speech", but restored it, which I think is a good thing.

Why is being fat a good thing? Shouldn't people be held accountable for the bad choices they make? Ever been to a buffet? Notice that about two thirds of the people have no business at a buffet? They should be in the 24 Hour Fitness across the way at lunch time, not consuming 5,000 calories to go back to their office job.

The percent of people who actually have a medical condition that causes them to be fat is infinitesimal compared to those who eat far more calories than they burn so don't even go down that road.

Is what Nicole Arbour said wrong? Deserving of being pulled off YouTube? I won't call it censorship since only governments can censor and YouTube has every right to decide what they want on their site, but do you want to go to websites that control content too tightly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 01:42 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
It shouldn't be censored, but there are all sorts of reasons people become fat, and it's none of your damn business to go around telling people to lay off the buffet. I don't go around shaming people for being ugly, or arrogant asses. Why should I go around shaming people for the choices they make? And newsflash, sometimes it's not a choice. You don't know if that person has a health condition, has actually been losing weight, or has tried and tried only to go on the dieting yo-yo of losing and then gaining weight over and over again. Maybe that person is just happy the way they are. Who are you to tell them any different?

Old 09-08-2015, 01:51 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It shouldn't be censored, but there are all sorts of reasons people become fat, ....
Not really. It's nothing more than this.
Calories Ingested > Calories Burned = You Get Fat
Everything else is just an excuse.

(I do accept there are valid medical issues, that affect a relatively small minority of people causing them to be overweight. But, for the vast overwhelming majority, this isn't the case. )

Old 09-08-2015, 01:54 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
In the UK at the moment " fat ppl" has been in the news a lot there's a program about fat models making a fortune it empathises that by being overweight the people concerned have made wealth that they wouldn't have made if they were normal weight basically saying it's good to be overweight

But best of all now I've learned in here that piers Morgan is not just hated here but in the states as well.....

Well I could watch him all day compared to a **** called Katie Hopkins!!! She's the ugliest woman I've ever seen ( infact thought she was a transsexual) and thinks she's gods gift to TV presenting she's basically a troll causing controversy for attention you name it she's started it Palestine, immigration and now obese ppl

She's a presenter on this morning TV and she's upset a group of big ladies and got puched on air lololololol ( at last )

Old 09-08-2015, 02:11 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
I think weight will eventually be tied to level of medical care. Lots of 24/7 medical monitoring infrastructure and single payer that has to go in before that though. Thirty years from now, being obese could cost you.

What I can't stand is the thin-shaming that goes on.
  • you're not "healthy" unless you're at least slightly pudgy
  • you're not presenting a good "role model" if you're thin
  • you're being unfair to "normal" women if you have thin genes and / or don't overeat and / or regularly burn calories and work muscles
  • real women have some "junk in the trunk" and some "curves" (aka fat rolls)
My sister and I get this sometimes (she moreso than I). We're both extremely healthy and we're both thin. I'm about to turn 41 and still have in the 9% to 11% body fat range, with solid abs. She's 35 and could pass for 22 with very little fat. She's had attempted shamery thrown her way throughout her life. No, jerks, she doesn't need to "eat a cheeseburger."

We've forgotten how healthy humans with normal to slender genes are actually supposed to look. We think if you're not sporting a bit of a fat roll there's something wrong with you.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:13 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

(I do accept there are valid medical issues, that affect a relatively small minority of people causing them to be overweight. But, for the vast overwhelming majority, this isn't the case. )
Again, who cares? Some people can eat whatever they want all day long and never gain a pound, while other people can eat very little and still gain weight. Does that mean we should go around telling fat people they need to hit the gym or lay off the buffet? I don't think so. It's no one's business but their own.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:24 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Hmmmm....

I found the video... well funny and really well produced... as for fat shamming, actually it came off in my mind as being more of a public service announcement, certainly no more offensive that any number of "stop smoking" ads (and I'm a smoker - bad me, seriously, bad me). She covered all the bases regarding health related issue, there certainly were no shortage of pleas representing concerned friends and family regarding their primary concern, their fat friend or loved one's long term health. So... I think I'll give it an A.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:28 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

You are right by there are many that do try to do that but just don't because of thyroid issues, high cortisol levels such as from asthma treatments (what I had as a kid on top of genetics), not enough sleep and among other issues. 7 Medical Conditions That Cause Weight Gain

Listen I am heavy, I do work out and until this weekend (due to a baby shower and labor day BBQ) I was actually down into 236 for the first time in nearly six years after peaking at about 270. Today I was 244. I know that I should eat limited quantities and work out and I try to do both.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:31 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Does that mean we should go around telling fat people they need to hit the gym or lay off the buffet?
As long as I'm subsidizing the healthcare and insurance costs of those people, yes.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:34 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times
i'm tired of the whole "fat shaming" thing...i'm tired of people getting their little feelings hurt over the slightest issue...it's not as if you are being called out by name...when can we get back to regular without having to apologize for every little thing that hurts someones feelings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events