Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 04:55 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times

Advertisements

I guess with her logic, I won't be able to check out pork if I am at a counter with a Muslim as my cashier, or buy alcohol or get birth control pills/condoms etc if I happen to check out with a devout Christian/catholic cashier. Hay, our soldiers can also choose not to shoot during war! Heck, young men and women can choose not to enlist even with a draft because making war is against their religion!!!!! How's that for the right wing crowd!? She is utterly ridiculous and ignorant.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
What if she had converted to Hinduism and was now refusing to issue hunting licenses?
That would go really well with the right wing gun nuts who love to shoot animals to sooth their inadequacy issues.....More like Jains than Hindus.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:07 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I guess with her logic, I won't be able to check out pork if I am at a counter with a Muslim as my cashier, or buy alcohol or get birth control pills/condoms etc if I happen to check out with a devout Christian/catholic cashier. Hay, our soldiers can also choose not to shoot during war! Heck, young men and women can choose not to enlist even with a draft because making war is against their religion!!!!! How's that for the right wing crowd!? She is utterly ridiculous and ignorant.
Both of those things happened. My father had combat medics in both Vietnam and Korea who would not even carry guns. Many of them served very bravely, they weren't unwilling to do their part, they just morally objected to shooting someone themselves. True conscientious objectors for religious reasons being exempted from the draft has a long history in this nation. If you are a member of some religions the exemption is automatic, such as the Amish.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:12 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Like it or not, the woman has her religious convictions and one of them is that men marrying men and women marrying women is against those beliefs.
And that's totally fine, and has zero to do with her job duties. She's not performing, certifying or otherwise authorizing such religious marriages.

Her job duties are only concerned with registration of civil contracts, including civil marriage. It's the law of the land. If she doesn't like it, she can move somewhere with Sharia law. In the U.S., we have separation between church and state, and separation between religious marriage and civil marriage. She is free to exercise her faith and free to not believe in gay marriage in the religious context. She is not free to defy the Supreme Court, however.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Both of those things happened. My father had combat medics in both Vietnam and Korea who would not even carry guns. Many of them served very bravely, they weren't unwilling to do their part, they just morally objected to shooting someone themselves. True conscientious objectors for religious reasons being exempted from the draft has a long history in this nation. If you are a member of some religions the exemption is automatic, such as the Amish.
I hear many right wingers calling this exemption a cowardly act, yet they rally around this woman using the same excuse.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:47 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,464 times
Apparently all she did in prison, (she is big as a cow), was eat pizza, (gluttony)=sin, fat pig.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:55 AM

174 posts, read 124,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
They had to let her out sometime, after all, what were they going to do, give her life for just contempt ? That is cruel and unusual punishment, IMO.

Like it or not, the woman has her religious convictions and one of them is that men marrying men and women marrying women is against those beliefs. To be honest, I think it is pretty weird too. No wonder kids today are so confused, no one knows who is what any more.
Don
You don't have to like it. But you have no right to tell other people how to live...especially if it's against the law. Kids are confused in general, btw. Your generation was too, but being "out" wasn't acceptable....which is why you had catholic priest and boy scout leader pedophilia.

This woman might be religious (a whacked out religious imho) but so what? Her religion can't intrude on others. Given her life choices, she has a lot of nerve doing that.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:55 AM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times
AGAINST NATURE
==\==\==\==\==\==\==
To those who believe that "crimes against nature" are just personal choices, she must be vilified.

But since antiquity marriage has been a joining of property for the benefit of progeny (No, love has nothing to do with it).
Insisting there's a "right" needing permission for something that is useless (a marriage contract between non-breeders) is absurd.

The courts knew this but pretended otherwise - to further a different agenda - the destruction of religion in America.
Because if you can destroy the belief in a mythical Creator and his endowed rights, you can promote "human rights" from benevolent government.

It is common sense that anyone proscribed by religious or secular laws shall seek the destruction of said religions or laws. For they are inimical to each other. In their haste to attack, they may have overstepped.

She may have galvanized Christians to resist. And I suspect she will continue to block licenses to those she believes are sodomites.

What happens when police officers refuse to arrest her and others who also refuse assent to laws they deem are not for the public good?

Old 09-09-2015, 06:16 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
AGAINST NATURE
==\==\==\==\==\==\==
To those who believe that "crimes against nature" are just personal choices, she must be vilified.

But since antiquity marriage has been a joining of property for the benefit of progeny (No, love has nothing to do with it).
Insisting there's a "right" needing permission for something that is useless (a marriage contract between non-breeders) is absurd.

The courts knew this but pretended otherwise - to further a different agenda - the destruction of religion in America.
Because if you can destroy the belief in a mythical Creator and his endowed rights, you can promote "human rights" from benevolent government.

It is common sense that anyone proscribed by religious or secular laws shall seek the destruction of said religions or laws. For they are inimical to each other. In their haste to attack, they may have overstepped.

She may have galvanized Christians to resist. And I suspect she will continue to block licenses to those she believes are sodomites.

What happens when police officers refuse to arrest her and others who also refuse assent to laws they deem are not for the public good?
What an utterly bizarre post. What color is the sky in your world? Have the aliens landed yet?

And who knew that "Christians" have always banned marriage of people unwilling or unable to have kids? I guess my heterosexual marraige in a Catholic church should be annulled because we don't have kids yet.

Who also knew that same-sex couples were apparently unable to have kids through adoption, surrogacy, donor insemination or co-parenting? One "learns" something new every day, I guess.

Back to the real world...

Old 09-09-2015, 06:32 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Her name has been removed from the certificates, it just says Rowen County with no name and the signature of the issuing deputy clerk on them now. That issue has been addressed.

Marriage licenses issued since Friday in Rowan County were altered to remove Kim Davis' name
I won't be surprised if she orders the deputies not to alter or remove her name from the licenses.

imo, she doesn't want and won't accept this very reasonable accommodation of her religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events