Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 03:38 PM

5,858 posts, read 3,293,630 times

Advertisements

I would say at least 75% of my car stops I let go with a warning. Someone like her attitude 100% got a ticket. A good attitude towards a PO can go a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 03:40 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,591,646 times
"I'm sure I can make this light … !!!"

"Hmmm … I don't see any cops around, and traffic isn't really heavy, so screw the *speed*limit* …"

"Just roll through the stop sign … Why not … ???"

"Everybody else does it … But if they don't, they're just suckers …"

Old 09-15-2015, 03:47 PM

3,492 posts, read 2,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I would say at least 75% of my car stops I let go with a warning. Someone like her attitude 100% got a ticket. A good attitude towards a PO can go a long way.
You would find yourself unemployed in our community.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:06 PM

207 posts, read 275,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
It's no more evil than actively and deliberately harassing someone on a technicality and using the law to rob them of their money.
Please explain to me what the technicality is.

Your own quote

Quote:
I've been on the receiving end of it myself, police pulling me over for going 5 mph over the speed limit
Definition of Limit: "a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass."

There is no technicality here, you literally broke the law and then when you got caught and pulled over for breaking the law and received the punishment associated with breaking that law you then wished his death...

So yes, what you did is much more evil than someone not letting you get away with going 5 mph over the limit because "everyone else does it"

Old 09-15-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dch526 View Post
Please explain to me what the technicality is.

Your own quote

Definition of Limit: "a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass."

There is no technicality here, you literally broke the law and then when you got caught and pulled over for breaking the law and received the punishment associated with breaking that law you then wished his death...

So yes, what you did is much more evil than someone not letting you get away with going 5 mph over the limit because "everyone else does it"
No, I think it is even more:

"Yes, yes, yes … I know that I -- "technically" -- broke the law … and that the law specifies that I receive a citation and be required to pay a fine … But in my case … an exception should be made … just because … "

Old 09-15-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
You would find yourself unemployed in our community.
Actually I agree with what you just said. Too many communities us the police as revenue agents. I know in NYC there is a quota. There was a quota every month that I was there. I know there is still one today. The police never should be used as a way to raise revenue. Unfortunately there are many places that count on that revenue to balance their budgets. I know when I left the NYPD they broke down the summons numbers month by month and year by year. They knew how many summons were written and for which specific violations. So for instance lets say my old command in September of 2014 there was 500 seat belt summonses in 2015 there better be somewhere close to 500 seatbelt tags as well. Also when we would write headlight and tail light summonses they would punish the cops because the motorist could fix those summonses without paying a fine. The worst was DWI's They would compare month over month with those. So lets say in Sept 14 there were 20 arrests for DWI. In Sept 2015 they have 10 someone is going to have a big problem. I know everyone loves to blame the cop on the street but there is a lot behind the scenes that people don't realize!!!!

Old 09-15-2015, 04:14 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,313,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
No, I think it is even more:

"Yes, yes, yes … I know that I -- "technically" -- broke the law … and that the law specifies that I receive a citation and be required to pay a fine … But in my case … an exception should be made … just because … "
Because it's STUPID to nag a person over something that stupid. When even the defensive driving instructor is saying that nobody goes the speed limit on the given road, it is pretty indicative that the given limit is stupid and needs repealing and/or reforming.

I agree with the lady, with that sort of pettiness going on (to say nothing of aggravating someone for things such as not wearing a seat belt, how is that ANYBODY'S business?), it's no wonder some people wish horrible things on those stooges.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Because it's STUPID to nag a person over something that stupid. When even the defensive driving instructor is saying that nobody goes the speed limit on the given road, it is pretty indicative that the given limit is stupid and needs repealing and/or reforming.

I agree with the lady, with that sort of pettiness going on (to say nothing of aggravating someone for things such as not wearing a seat belt, how is that ANYBODY'S business?), it's no wonder some people wish horrible things on those stooges.
(1) Stupid drivers who ignore the speed limits need "reforming" …

(2) The obnoxious last was stopped and ticketed for a lot more than just "no seat belt" ...

Old 09-15-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Yes seatbelts are written because the car insurance and health insurance companies have lobbied the government and made it so. You don't wear a seatbelt the only person you hurt is yourself.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:46 PM

207 posts, read 275,098 times
Quote:
While it may be true that the speed limit is too low for that road given how much people speed, it doesn't justify you then breaking the law and thinking you can get away with it.

Getting pulled over for breaking a known law which is literally posted on the road for you to see (not some obscure law that no one knows about) is not considered nagging or harassment.

There are roads like this all over the U.S. If you feel the speed limit is not indicative of the speed people already travel on the road then put together a study (similar to what Texas just did to increase the speed limit on state highways: Speed Zone Studies) and give it to the state or the city, whoever is responsible for the roadways, to increase the speed.

However, as long as you continue to wish someone's death for enforcing the law that you broke then you will be considered the evil one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events