Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 08:50 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times

Advertisements

I can't believe how calm Blake was. He must be the most relaxed person ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 09:09 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Case of mistaken identity? YES
Excessive force? NO

As a LEO, you are called upon to arrest suspects with as little harm posed to yourself and the public as possible.
`
So tackling members of the public is perfectly safe?

If some plainclothes man can up and tackled you, you'd be just peachy with it?

Old 09-12-2015, 09:21 AM

569 posts, read 779,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I think the officers should be put on leave and the department should apologize to Mr. Blake. I don't think Mr. Blake is going to pursue taking the whole thing to court though. I was put in cuffs by mistake years ago when I was 18. The police mistook me for a local drug dealer. 10 minutes in they realized I wasn't the man they were looking for, apologized and let me on my way. I didn't take it personal. Oh and I am white.
When it happened to you, was the cop in uniform or did he identify himself as LEO? In Blake's case, the answer is "no" to both those questions.

Were you jumped, pushed up against a wall, then thrown down like Blake was?

You said the cop apologized. The guy that tackled Blake never did. That arrogance of not being able to admit a mistake is one of the things that bugs me about this and will probably be the cop's undoing. Ironically, if he'd been more civil and profusely apologized, Blake might have been more forgiving. Instead, he had to go on being an a-hole even after he knew he screwed up.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:35 AM

1,077 posts, read 871,019 times
Video of takedown, didn't read back so I apologize if already posted

Video shows police tackling tennis star James Blake

This is overly aggressive policing. Why didn't the detective ID himself to Blake before he just threw him down to the ground?

Why didn't he give Blake a chance to ID himself?

Quote:
“I want him to know what he did was wrong, and that in my opinion he doesn’t
deserve to ever have a badge and a gun again, because he doesn’t know how to
handle that responsibility effectively,†Blake told the Daily News Saturday
morning. “He doesn’t deserve to have the same title as officers who are doing
good work and are really helping keep the rest of the city safe.â€
James Blake wants NYPD cop to never have badge, gun again

I agree with Blake, take his badge and gun and send him on his way.

I heard this detective has many civilian complaints for excessive use of force, as we see with Blake.

Maybe it's time for this detective to find a new job.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:35 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times
Let me add my 2 cents.

On a technical level, and just speaking of the detainment itself, it was rather text book ace. Every officer should strive to carry out a detainment in such technical fashion but WHEN WARRANTED. However, this was definitely excessive force considering the level of threat perceived, the suspected crime committed, and setting.

Technical: as in physical hands on. I don't mean social and critically sound.

On a critical social level, the police officer is a wild cat and again, used excessive force more than necessary. Doesn't mean he is necessarily bad. It just means that he hasn't been tamed and given proper active aggression counseling. And that is not given enough due to many factors to include funding.

See, what people fail to understand is that the same amount of sheer courage and commitment to duty this officer you see in that video, in executing a rather swift and technically sound detainment, is the same amount of officer brevity you will call upon to remove a violent suspect from burglarizing your home. You can't shut it on and off unless given proper counseling. Law enforcement is the institution by which you are constantly chasing, fighting, and being vigilant of violent criminals.

Now here is the catch, it's a fine line. There are only certan types of people willing to chase after thugs all day and put their lives on the line. Very few can take the stress. They need to be properly guided or else they go wild. BUT, you tame them too much, you will end up having a bunch of puzzee cats.

Last edited by halfamazing; 09-12-2015 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-12-2015, 11:46 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Let me add my 2 cents.

On a technical level, and just speaking of the detainment itself, it was rather text book ace. Every officer should strive to carry out a detainment in such technical fashion but WHEN WARRANTED. However, this was definitely excessive force considering the level of threat perceived, the suspected crime committed, and setting.

Technical: as in physical hands on. I don't mean social and critically sound.

On a critical social level, the police officer is a wild cat and again, used excessive force more than necessary. Doesn't mean he is necessarily bad. It just means that he hasn't been tamed and given proper active aggression counseling.

See, what people fail to understand is that the same amount of sheer courage and commitment to duty this officer you see in that video, in executing a rather swift and technically sound detainment, is the same amount of officer brevity you will call upon to remove a violent suspect from burglarizing your home. You can't shut it on and off unless given proper counseling. Law enforcement is the institution by which you are chasing, fighting, and being vigilant of violent criminals.

Now here is the catch, it's a fine line. There are only certan types of people willing to char after thugs all day and put their lives on the line. They need to be properly guided or else they go wild. BUT, you tame them too much, you will end up having a bunch of puzzee cats.

Well, um, yeah, the cop used poor judgement -- there's repercussion when that happens. Not sure what your point is.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:51 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, um, yeah, the cop used poor judgement -- there's repercussion when that happens. Not sure what your point is.
His point is that the cop doesn't need firing, he needs counseling and maybe retraining. Never mind that he has had 5 complaints against him in just a few months, never mind that he is the subject of two excessive force lawsuits, he is just a poor misguided soul who needs direction.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:08 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This guy was treated like ass but was smart enough to respond in a way that kept him from getting hurt. Calm and intelligent.

Now I hope he sues them into the ground.
Also older and mature. I could see a teen freaking out if that happened to them. I could see myself doing the same thing.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:47 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Actually the figure is ZERO...ballpark zippo..all requested was an apology! If it had of been anybody else than James...no doubt the taxpayer would need to bail out another loose cannon on their LE force !
Actually he is requesting that the police officer gets fired. "It's not debatable if he should be out there ever again," said Blake Saturday morning, noting that the officer has other civilian complaints against him. "You can't let that pattern continue."

James Blake on arrest mix-up: NYPD officer shouldn't be on force anymore | abc7ny.com

Old 09-12-2015, 12:48 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
Video of takedown, didn't read back so I apologize if already posted

Video shows police tackling tennis star James Blake

This is overly aggressive policing. Why didn't the detective ID himself to Blake before he just threw him down to the ground?

Why didn't he give Blake a chance to ID himself?

James Blake wants NYPD cop to never have badge, gun again

I agree with Blake, take his badge and gun and send him on his way.

I heard this detective has many civilian complaints for excessive use of force, as we see with Blake.

Maybe it's time for this detective to find a new job.
He has two excessive force lawsuits pending against the him and department for his conduct, plus 3 other complaints that were still being investigated.

Is this the only profession where you can be allowed to still carry a gun and do your duties unencumbered while simultaneously being accused and investigated for 5 complaints? If my company had 5 signed complaints and 2 lawsuits about my conduct at work, I guarantee I would not have a job any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events