Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

Looks like excessive force for no reason. Supposedly Blake resembled a credit card fraud suspect. When does credit card fraud require a tackle?

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/more...3983?cid=bitly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 10:53 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
I'm sure a few of the usual authoritarian apologists will be along soon to explain that it never would have happened if he hadn't gone out in public in the first place.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:36 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
He should sue the crap out of the NYPD. They seem to have a culture that develops this type of behavior.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:43 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Sue the bastards.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:09 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I'm sure a few of the usual authoritarian apologists will be along soon to explain that it never would have happened if he hadn't gone out in public in the first place.
Nope. He is totally in the right and they are in the wrong. What he is asking for is more than reasonable.
Quote:
The tennis great said he would like an apology from the department, and he wants to hear there will be repercussions for the officers involved.

Blake said at first he didn’t want to discuss the incident publicly, but felt he had an obligation to bring to light another instance of excessive police.

“I have resources to get to the bottom of this. I have a voice,” Blake said. “But what about someone who doesn't have those resources and doesn’t have a voice?”

"The real problem is that I was tackled for no reason and that happens to a lot of people who don’t have a media outlet to voice that to."
But....because there is always a but. I really wish young black men would take note of his behavior during the incident.

Quote:
The unidentified officer picked Blake up, threw the 6-foot-1 player down on the sidewalk and commanded him to roll over facedown.

“I’m going to do whatever you say,” Blake recalled telling the cop. “I’m going to cooperate. But do you mind if I ask what this is all about?”

One officer replied: “We’ll tell you. You are in safe hands.”

Blake said, “I didn’t feel very safe.”

Once he was told about his misidentification as one of the bad guys, Blake told the police to check his license — in his front left pocket — and his Open credential, in his back pocket.
I hope this opens a reasonable, civil dialog about the problem, which is real. We have repeatedly told our sons that this is the type of response they must have if stopped by the police. Is it fair that it is essential that I have this discussion with my sons and my neighbor doesn't have to even think about it? No. But, it is reality and I'd rather be annoyed than bury a son.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-10-2015 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: I hate autocorrect

Old 09-10-2015, 06:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
This guy was treated like ass but was smart enough to respond in a way that kept him from getting hurt. Calm and intelligent.

Now I hope he sues them into the ground.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Nope. He is totally in the right and they are in the wrong. What he is asking for is more than reasonable.

But....because there is always a but. I really wish young black men would take note of his behavior during the incident.

I hope this opens a reasonable, civil dialog about the problem, which is real. We have repeatedly told our sons that this is the type of response they must have if stopped by the police. Is it fair that it is essential that I have this discussion with my sons and my neighbor doesn't. No. But, it is reality and I'd rather be annoyed than bury a son.
Every person should have this conversation with their kids.

I see all sorts of beat up people in my ER. Not just black people.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:20 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I agree with everyone. This has to stop. Blake should sue the NYPD for sure. The officer should be fired, NOT modified duty?, that is pure BS.

We hear about this crap all the time.
When is it going to stop?,
is it going to stop?
will it ever stop?

either way, it is unacceptable for the NYPD to do this.

Then they wonder why we have zero respect for police officers???????

OK, lets see what Bratton will do about this.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:22 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Every person should have this conversation with their kids.

I see all sorts of beat up people in my ER. Not just black people.
I agree with you, every parent should have this conversation with their kids regardless of gender or race, but chances are far greater it will happen to a black male.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:26 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
No matter what your ethnicity, you should always be on the safe side and cooperate with the police. I bet Bratton has a huge headache this morning. I thought they had an eyewitness id him (which is in itself a problem since these are very unreliable and certainly was in this case) but was a tackle necessary? Blake is handling this very well. Props to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events