Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 11:41 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Raising the possibility that Hillary Rodham Clinton could lose both the first two nominating contests, Senator Bernie Sanders has taken a narrow lead in Iowa for the first time in a Democratic poll released Thursday.

Mr. Sanders, the Vermont senator, led 41 percent to 40 percent among likely Democratic caucusgoers, a statistical tie, but a significant reversal for Mrs. Clinton, who as recently as July held a 19-point advantage in a survey by the same pollster, Quinnipiac University.
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...est-poll/?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 01:07 PM

This is really huge. Hillary could be going down in flames if this trend continues.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:11 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
So, could it be possible that due to Trump's strength, voters on the Democrat side are willing to support a candidate that leans more left under the assumption that there is no chance Trump can get elected?

Old 09-10-2015, 01:13 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,264 times
Lol, none of this matters. We're still way too far out there to predict anything. I'm still hoping for a Trump/Hogan ticket though. I don't think even Costco's would have enough popcorn for that.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
So, could it be possible that due to Trump's strength, voters on the Democrat side are willing to support a candidate that leans more left under the assumption that there is no chance Trump can get elected?
It could be. But we also must keep in mind that Sanders is really not more left than Franklin D Roosevelt was or in many ways Dwight Eisenhower.

The policies of Bernie Sanders is really mainstream american positions, when looking at polls.

People want money out of politics, both republicans and democrats. And Bernie Sanders is a straight shooter with very high integrity, and is running on a platform funded by small donors by the hundreds of thousands. People really feel such a grass roots campaign is really what democracy should be all about I think. Not taking bribe money from Wall Street and the corporate elites to run their campaign.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:45 PM

772 posts, read 936,100 times
I'm an independent, though I'll say that the last 20 years or so, I've voted for Democrat for President every time, the GOP hasn't fielded a decent candidate since Bush Sr. I was really hoping McCain would have won the nomination instead of Bush Jr, by the time he went up against Obama he was simply too old and out of date IMO.

This time around, I can't stand Hillary, and the rest of the GOP is fielding a bunch of losers once again. Sanders has a real legitimate shot, I'd vote for him.

A lot of Republicans should, too, if they didn't just automatically oppose him or his ideas simply because he's a Democrat.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:04 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I think there is a lot to that. The fact that Trump seems to be running away with the GOP nomination has emboldened some Democrats that they don't need Hillary to win.

I don't really like ANY of the candidates on either side. I'd probably be nominally behind a Huntsman candidacy were that possible.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:07 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
We have an Elections forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events