Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 10:05 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
When people keep bringing up muscle mass, they really aren't talking about bulk but muscle mass relative to body mass. The fiber in men's muscles are different than women's and that will make a 125 pound man stronger than a 125 pound woman even if everything else were equal.

And let us not forget, there can be 125 pound men who have more muscle mass than a 150-175 pound man who is flabby. Size, while it has a factor in strength, is not the only variable.
Goodness, no need need to be condescending. Yes, better to take POW's, treat them well so they will not think death would be a better fate than capture, give them the chance to learn Americans aren't the second coming of Satan, turn them into your quasi-good will ambassadors when they return home, make them lose the will to rise up against you if the politicians start rambling sabres again because they no longer hate you, and turn them into allies. Plus, it can give you bargaining chips, including (you hope) motivation for the other side to treat our POWs they have well for fear of retaliation against the ones we have of theirs. What about this concept am I missing?

But, we all know not everyone plays nice. Which means, ultimately the bare bone job description of a solider is to be prepared and able to "kill or be killed."

It was as I watched it unfold. Like I said I lived through the disbanding of the WAC Corps.
So? What does this mean? You were alive during the moon landing. Can you build a spacecraft and land on the moon? LOL
Quote:
No, I know what a protected class is. I suspect I belong to more protected classes than you do, although I could be wrong.
If you did than you would not have brought up all of that other nonsense and say that Pagans have a glass ceiling. That would be discrimination against a protected class. Pagans are a weird thing to bring up.
Quote:
The point is that it is not discrimination if you can't do the job.
Well that is a lie and shows your lack of understanding. Because it is discrimination if you can't do the job just because you are denied the opportunity based on your membership in a protected class.
Quote:
Yes, I know you can. But, you'll not convince me that if known it doesn't negatively impact career advancement, whether it is right or wrong, particularly in the officer corps - which frankly is where this push for women in combat is coming from. Not having combat experience does not impact advancement as much in the enlisted ranks as it does the officer ranks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 01:26 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
But it is not equitable at all. They were much more reliant on muscle power than we are.
The average soldier carries a.heavier load than ever.before.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:16 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The integration of women in the military was not because of politicians using it for social justice.
It was as I watched it unfold. Like I said I lived through the disbanding of the WAC Corps.
So? What does this mean? You were alive during the moon landing. Can you build a spacecraft and land on the moon? LOL 6
No, what in the heck are you talking about? What does watching hearings on disbanding the WAC Corps and the future of women's role in the military have to do with a moon landing? I'm not sure what you are having trouble comprehending in this exchange. It means I was around to hear and read the debates over the topic as they happened, and it was indeed politicians using the military for social justice, many of whom were very blunt about it. It was repeatedly brought up that racial integration started with the military and that led to society at large following with acceptance a few years later. It was stated that the military could be used to usher in equality for women in society too.

Sorry you don't like it, but that doesn't change what happened.

Quote:
Well that is a lie and shows your lack of understanding. Because it is discrimination if you can't do the job just because you are denied the opportunity based on your membership in a protected class.
The whole point is lack of opportunity is NOT why they can't do the job. The studies the OP presented is proof that they can't do the job when given the opportunity. Get it? They are already in integrated units, that means they have been given the opportunity. The research shows mixed units are ineffective and inefficient in comparison to all male units - and not by an insignificant amount.

Sheesh.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:13 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
The average soldier carries a.heavier load than ever.before.
Interestingly the average soldier today carries almost exactly the same weight load as the Roman Republic legionary. They, too, marched with approximately 90 pounds of gear.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:19 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Interestingly the average soldier today carries almost exactly the same weight load as the Roman Republic legionary. They, too, marched with approximately 90 pounds of gear.
I am trying to find the source. Was in a history channel show or something. Moral of the story the historical weight is quite high.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
The average size and weight of todays soldiers is also larger. Diet, medical care and equipment are better.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:10 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
The average size and weight of todays soldiers is also larger. Diet, medical care and equipment are better.
Modern load bearing gear helps a lot. It distributes weight better and is a LOT more comfortable than past rigs. A soldier can build his vest to carry his gear to what suits them, individually. Its not a standard configuration, one size fits all anymore. The weight and effectiveness of armor makes it worth wearing now to. SAPI plates have saved a lot of lives, and since its not as bad as the old stuff was to wear, soldiers aren't as tempted to just not wear it, like they were with those heavy, old style flak jackets, that were seriously bulky and clumsy too.

Last edited by NVplumber; 09-17-2015 at 05:21 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Modern load bearing gear helps a lot. It distributes weight better and is a LOT more comfortable than past rigs. A soldier can build his vest to carry his gear to what suits them, individually. Its not a standard configuration, one size fits all anymore. The weight and effectiveness of armor makes it worth wearing now to. SAPI plates have saved a lot of lives, and since its not as bad as the old stuff was to wear, soldiers aren't as removed to just not wear it, like they were with those heavy, old style, bjlky flak jackets, that were seriously bulky and clumsy too.
Great points. Modern weather gear is also better. The world has changed a lot in 2,000 years.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:35 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
So you do not consider the price associated just because gyrl power syster! The role of the military is to project power and secure the US. This does nothing to further that goal, in fact it just the exact opposite. It takes resources that could be invested in strategic asset and directs them to an inferior fighting force.

Your trite "girl power" comment is an absolutely pathetic reply to the serious issue of denying US citizens the right to equal opportunity, which is exactly what you are suggesting. No one who loves what America stands, and fights for should be willing to throw people's rights away, nothing is more sacred to our way of life.

Last edited by detshen; 09-17-2015 at 08:54 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 10:03 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Now here is where the failure to understand lies. "Right to pursue these positions." "Opportunity." You talk about ground combat specialties as though they were awards.
You have misunderstood my point completely if you think I'm talking about awards, the "why" is not relevant to my point. I'm referring to the basic right of every US citizen to equal opportunity regardless of race, gender, class, etc. This right is a basic tenet of our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events