Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 02:32 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
In the Marines, everyone is a rifleman. Your MOS may take you in a different direction but push come to shove, you may be called upon to be in the infantry.

Let me present you a letter written home from a farm kid that's now in the Marines.

Dear Ma and Pa,

I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled. ...

I was restless at first because you get to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m. But I am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot, and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing.

Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there's warm water. Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food. But tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee. Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed again. It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.

We go on 'route marches,' which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different. A 'route march' is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

The sergeant is like a school teacher. He nags a lot. The Captain is like the school board. Majors and colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they break easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home. I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake. I only beat him once. He joined up the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6' and 130 pounds and he's 6'8' and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter,
Alice
Thats cute. Also included in the study was the fact that female shooters were less accurate. At rest I imagine men and women shoot the same, the issue tho is that combat shooting is not at rest. The comment about injury and wrestling is just LOL worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 02:35 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Tell me why The Ancient Greeks in the army were encouraged to be gay because they would fight more forcefully for their lover?
What does this have to do with the modern military and womens place in it?

Old 09-11-2015, 06:07 PM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This is nothing new:
And, it is morally wrong but we've decided being politically correct is more important.
Exactly

The military has gone from the job of attacking the enemy with the greatest lethal force possible, to attempting to be PC with social experimentation.
But as some of the libs love to say, "diversity is our greatest strength".
WRONG
Having the best fighting force capable of killing with the least chance of our own soldiers getting killed is our greatest strength!

Old 09-11-2015, 06:12 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,063 times
Quote:
Tell me why The Ancient Greeks in the army were encouraged to be gay because they would fight more forcefully for their lover?
I think you just answered your own question to your own satisfaction.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:14 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
In the Marines, everyone is a rifleman. Your MOS may take you in a different direction but push come to shove, you may be called upon to be in the infantry.

Let me present you a letter written home from a farm kid that's now in the Marines.

Dear Ma and Pa,

I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled. ...

I was restless at first because you get to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m. But I am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot, and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing.

Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there's warm water. Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food. But tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee. Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed again. It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.

We go on 'route marches,' which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different. A 'route march' is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

The sergeant is like a school teacher. He nags a lot. The Captain is like the school board. Majors and colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they break easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home. I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake. I only beat him once. He joined up the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6' and 130 pounds and he's 6'8' and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter,
Alice
Cheesy internet chain letters prove everything. Thank you.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:27 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,056,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
What does this have to do with the modern military and womens place in it?
You do know West Point Cadets study ancient battles and warfare?

Old 09-11-2015, 06:30 PM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
You do know West Point Cadets study ancient battles and warfare?
With one of the biggest reasons being so they don't repeat mistakes.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:34 PM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Women have less muscle mass, particularly upper body (thus less brute physical strength), their reaction times are less and men have an easily aroused sexuality. A woman in the midst of a high testosterone situation (such as combat) is a distraction to men and decreases their combat effectiveness.
If women can "distract" male soldiers by getting them aroused, those male soldiers need to get a grip and control themselves. If what you are saying is true it sort of makes me wonder what might happen if a male surgeon operates on an attractive female, will he be so out of control that he will botch the surgery?
Regarding muscle mass and 'brute strength' when is the last time we had an American Soldier wrestle with the enemy? And reaction times...do we test male recruits for reaction time, because I am quite sure it varies among individuals and if it were that critical then it should be a criteria upon which acceptance into the military is based, right?

Old 09-11-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If women can "distract" male soldiers by getting them aroused, those male soldiers need to get a grip and control themselves. If what you are saying is true it sort of makes me wonder what might happen if a male surgeon operates on an attractive female, will he be so out of control that he will botch the surgery?
Regarding muscle mass and 'brute strength' when is the last time we had an American Soldier wrestle with the enemy? And reaction times...do we test male recruits for reaction time, because I am quite sure it varies among individuals and if it were that critical then it should be a criteria upon which acceptance into the military is based, right?
FYI women in the field don't look like women, throw not bathing for months on end and wearing a uniform which is very masculine...I doubt these big bad men would want that...they would, probably, prefer a sock.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
With one of the biggest reasons being so they don't repeat mistakes.
I am sure they study the successes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events