Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 01:44 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Thanks. Glad to see that isn't part of the issue. But, why is she getting off so much easier than him? Not that the whole thing isn't ridiculous.

That just makes it even nuttier. I hope it is a lesson for no parent to allow police access to their child's cell phone without a warrant.

It is outrageous, it ought to fall under the victimless crime category and instead they are determined to mark a young man foe the rest of his life. This kind of stuff is what is behind the notion of prosecutor discretion, any one with a bit sense would agree that it cruel and unusual punishment to destroy a young man's life for sending a nude picture of his teenage genitalia to another teen, who was sending him pictures of hers.
The old "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" routine, 21st century style. Most teenagers/kids have done that...this story is ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 03:25 PM

25,958 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
What "other incident" was there that allowed Police to look at his phone in the first place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I want to know if the police had a search warrant to search the phone and what the scope of the warrant was.
I think there is more to the story that is not being told. I just don't understand the phone thing and the other investigation that is going on. Doesn't seem to add up to this without some other missing details.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:13 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
The dirtbag prosecutors should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:19 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I want to know if the police had a search warrant to search the phone and what the scope of the warrant was.
Get ready to freak out because I saw this case brought up on one of the News channels this week and lawyers trying to explain how this happened.
The young man was cooperating with local police on another incident much more serious and he allowed the police to go through his phone were they found the nude photos of him & his girlfriend!

No search warrant was needed and they were both charged! This is beyond insane! She took a plea so she won't have a record but he will!

Old 09-11-2015, 09:32 PM

20 posts, read 14,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
This is very strange. The girlfriend was allowed to take a plea deal...the terms of that deal are not disclosed. He is apparently not able to take a plea deal? Hard to tell, the article is not very informative. He has his picture and name released while the girlfriend's name and picture are withheld. They are both 16 or over but under 18 yet they are being treated very differently. She is almost being treated like a victim here. Maybe there is more to this story than is being reported? Tough to know what to think without reading another source, but in general I agree that criminal charges are inappropriate in teen sexting cases, especially if jail time and lifetime registry requirements are involved.
Welcome to female privilege?

Old 09-11-2015, 09:41 PM

20 posts, read 14,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Absolutely ridiculous.

I read cases like this and I feel like I've taken crazy pills. How can judges/prosecutors do crap like this?

How is that even remotely fair??
You are acting like female privilege is a new thing. Men Sentenced To Longer Prison Terms Than Women For Same Crimes, Study Says

Old 09-11-2015, 10:50 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,183,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The dirtbag prosecutors should be ashamed of themselves.
That is the truth. Seems here they are being treated as if they need to be protected as a "minor", but charged as an "adult". At the very least, the age of consent for sexting should not be HIGHER than for actual sex. If you can have sex at 16, you should be able to sext at 16 as well. I'm not saying it's smart. How could someone that stupid be a prosecutor?

Old 09-11-2015, 10:59 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I'm a parent of children that are and have recently been the ages of the kids in this story. My wife and I have made it partway through the harrowing high school years of our kids without any sexting bumps in that road, so far. And I certainly would not want my kids sending naked photos of themselves.

But... the acts of local prosecutors related in this story are just insane.
My adult children are in their 30s now and never had a blip like this but I'm right there with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events