Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 02:50 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Kenya: Panic As Two Children Die, Seven in Critical Condition After Measles Vaccination - allAfrica.com
Also 28 paralyzed after polio vaccination?

And people wonder why their needs to be a choice to vaccination?

Yes, I do wonder, and I can only chalk it up to total ignorance about history, the way people died, not two or three at a time, but by the hundreds or thousands, in the days before vaccinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 03:56 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your unvaccinated child is at low risk to catch a vaccine preventable disease only because other families do vaccinate their children.

Many of the vaccines on the childhood schedule have no known serious adverse effects. The risk of a serious adverse effect from measles vaccine - fatal and non fatal - is about one in a million, a number so small it is difficult to grasp. That is truly "vanishingly small". The risk of dying from measles, if you catch it, is about one in a thousand.

You can only choose to not vaccinate your child and be confident that your child will not be exposed to the disease that vaccine prevents is if almost everyone else does get the vaccine. If you live in a community that has very low vaccination rates, then the risk of exposure to a single person who has brought the disease to the US increases.

That is why the last few years have seen bigger outbreaks, and a significant number of those who get infected are babies too young to be vaccinated, even though their parents planned to do so when the child was old enough.

Forgive us if we feel your "parental protective instincts" are unacceptable when they put other families at risk.
Hey, Suzy, vaccine immunity isn't the ONLY immunity there is. Why don't you ever talk about that? Babies too young? Well, that is where their mother's breastfeeding immunity comes into play. No? Again, with YOUR pushing vaccine agenda, that is not a factor either.

The ONLY immunity is a vaccinated immunity to you.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:05 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Kenya: Children Who Died After Measles Vaccine Were Injected By a Cleaner - allAfrica.com

The children were injected, not by a physician, or even a nurse, but by a cleaning person. I doubt this was a straight measles vaccine. It was probably the MMR, since I don't think that straight measles vaccine is even still manufactured. In any event, it's a vaccine that you need to reconstitute with a diluent. It sounds like the cleaning person may have reconstituted it with something else, probably something toxic.

Saying we shouldn't get vaccinated because of an event like this is akin to saying we should not ever eat, because we might get food poisoning from improperly prepared or improperly preserved food.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:09 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Kenya: Panic As Two Children Die, Seven in Critical Condition After Measles Vaccination - allAfrica.com

Also 28 paralyzed after polio vaccination?

And people wonder why their needs to be a choice to vaccination?
Is this like the ones in India that died after vaccinnation?

Well, they drowned, got bit by snakes, car accidents etc. but that didn't stop the anti-vaxxers from blaming vaccinations.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:10 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The crackpots will say it's lies from big pharma....

Old 09-12-2015, 04:22 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Hey, Suzy, vaccine immunity isn't the ONLY immunity there is. Why don't you ever talk about that? Babies too young? Well, that is where their mother's breastfeeding immunity comes into play. No? Again, with YOUR pushing vaccine agenda, that is not a factor either.

The ONLY immunity is a vaccinated immunity to you.
Passive immunity from breast feeding only lasts a few weeks, and it is improved by vaccinating the mother, especially as far as pertussis and influenza are concerned. I have never said that breast feeding is not protective.

You accuse me of disregarding the fact that having a disease confers immunity despite the fact that I have never done so. I have often pointed out to you that you and I are part of the immune herd for diseases we had before there were vaccines for them, even though you vehemently do not want to be a part of those herds.

I have never said, "The ONLY immunity is a vaccinated immunity." Kindly stop saying so.

The problem with acquiring immunity to measles the way you and I did is that we had to be sick for it to happen. You and I were lucky, surviving with no long term complications. That is not true of everyone.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:00 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Kenya: Children Who Died After Measles Vaccine Were Injected By a Cleaner - allAfrica.com

The children were injected, not by a physician, or even a nurse, but by a cleaning person. I doubt this was a straight measles vaccine. It was probably the MMR, since I don't think that straight measles vaccine is even still manufactured. In any event, it's a vaccine that you need to reconstitute with a diluent. It sounds like the cleaning person may have reconstituted it with something else, probably something toxic.

Saying we shouldn't get vaccinated because of an event like this is akin to saying we should not ever eat, because we might get food poisoning from improperly prepared or improperly preserved food.
Waited for six pages to see someone point this out. Why did it take so long?

Old 09-12-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Waited for six pages to see someone point this out. Why did it take so long?
It has been pointed out in previous posts.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Passive immunity from breast feeding only lasts a few weeks, and it is improved by vaccinating the mother, especially as far as pertussis and influenza are concerned. I have never said that breast feeding is not protective.

You accuse me of disregarding the fact that having a disease confers immunity despite the fact that I have never done so. I have often pointed out to you that you and I are part of the immune herd for diseases we had before there were vaccines for them, even though you vehemently do not want to be a part of those herds.

I have never said, "The ONLY immunity is a vaccinated immunity." Kindly stop saying so.

The problem with acquiring immunity to measles the way you and I did is that we had to be sick for it to happen. You and I were lucky, surviving with no long term complications. That is not true of everyone.
Don't forget the lovely possible side effect of getting Shingles due to prior Chicken Pox infection. My brother got Shingles and it was NOT fun or pretty.

On another note, I grew up with a kid who contracted Polio. I bet his parents and him wished he'd gotten a polio shot. He had to walk with leg braces then graduated to crutches but always had a deformed weak leg. Man, the things (tricks and such) he could do on crutches, very impressive!

Last edited by jimj; 09-13-2015 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Mistake on Measles VS Chicken Pops (Pox)

Old 09-13-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Don't forget the lovely possible side effect of getting Shingles due to prior Chicken Pox infection. My brother got Shingles and it was NOT fun or pretty.

On another note, I grew up with a kid who contracted Polio. I bet his parents and him wished he'd gotten a polio shot. He had to walk with leg braces then graduated to crutches but always had a deformed weak leg. Man, the things (tricks and such) he could do on crutches, very impressive!
My parents grew up in Georgia near the Warm Springs Foundation (my Dad and an Aunt actually worked there for a while) and had a close up view of polio. One of my mother's cousins married a man who had had it. He used leg braces and the forearm crutches. Late in life he had post-polio syndrome, which placed him in a wheelchair. Did my parents welcome the polio vaccine? You bet your life they did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events