Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 11:11 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Propel has artificial sweeteners.
Plain water with a lemon slice is wonderful. Or plain water with a splash of lime. Or plain water with a few cucumber slices.
Absolutely! At first giving up an occasional soda or flavored water was difficult but after sticking to water with a lemon or lime slice everything else now tastes too sweet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 11:47 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,312 times
No one mentioned that she's 31 and has 8 kids. She clearly had a problem with decision making/impulse control

Old 09-12-2015, 11:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,919,476 times
Soda is really supposed to be an occasional treat. Remember the soda fountains of yesteryear. There is nothing wrong with it, like most things if done in moderation.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:43 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Yes, that can happen with water, too.

This says more about the hazards of a lack of moderation than it does about Coke.
There. That's the point that should be made. Anything can be bad for you if not done in moderation.

I love pop. Mainly I love the carbonation more than the flavor. If you let a pop go idle for long enough, like say you buy a 2 liter bottle and it takes you four days to drink it, by the last day, it's flat. I can attest that it's not the flavor, it's the carbonation, for me.

At one point in my life, I drank a LOT of pop. A. lot. I used to drive for a living, 11 hour days, and that's what I drank. All day. Every day. Even then, it didn't come out to 2.2 liters a day...probably about a liter and a half though. My teeth are fine.

I drink a lot of Crystal Lite now, or the stores' generic versions, because it's cheaper, but yep, I still drink pop probably about 2 times a week, on average. I can easily go without drinking it. I don't go in to some crazy withdrawals if I don't have pop, I don't get headaches or anything of the sort, but I do prefer the carbonation over a flat, boring drink.

The only time I chose not to drink pop, and drank water (or Power Ade) was when I worked in the blazing heat in Miami as an airboat driver, with no air conditioning in sight. On those days, pop did nothing for me. I needed the water and Power Ade because of how much you sweat when you work outside all day in the inferno of hell called "Miami"...especially in the summer.

In the end though, as stated, moderation is key. I would think the sugar would have been the bigger issue, not the caffeine, (she could have drank caffeine free, plus, that's rich coming from people who guzzle coffee like it's the only thing that keeps them alive), but I also want to know: how dang expensive did that end up being? 2 liters a day...that's anywhere from $60 - 100 a month just for pop! (Depending on pricing where you live, and the brand.) That's an internet bill, or a phone bill, or an insurance payment, or a LOT of food! The heck, lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
What is the supposed connection between Coke, and a baby being born without tooth enamel?
I would also like to know this. People keep talking about how pop ruins your teeth...so far mine are doing well, but yes, what is the connection between Coke and a baby being born without enamel? If they are going to make that claim, where are the studies that show definitive proof of that?

Old 09-12-2015, 01:31 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
If it's crazy and sensationalist so it sells. Who cares about facts/reality?

It's 2.2 gallons of killer Coke - we have been warned. Coca Cola probably does more business now. It is the #1 soft drink in the world for some reason. I have patronized many eateries where a bottle of water was more expensive than a sugary soft drink.

A couple gallon jugs of store brand sweetened iced tea or lemonade would have the same effects.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:37 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,150,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Read more here:
Woman dies after downing 2 gallons of Coca-Cola daily

Wanted to share this. (I just realized that it was a couple of years old...but I will leave this here...some people should see this. )
Mother of eight..I stopped reading right there.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:41 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,186,291 times
Was it diet or regular?

Old 09-12-2015, 02:55 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,151 times
I used to drink lots of cokes growing up but i quit drinking any type of soft drink.I currently drink a gallon of water a day.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:13 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,790,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Read more here:
Woman dies after downing 2 gallons of Coca-Cola daily

Wanted to share this. (I just realized that it was a couple of years old...but I will leave this here...some people should see this. )
Yikes! May she RIP.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:25 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,309,882 times
I recently read that most of the claims against sodas like Pepsi and Coke are not true. They are dangerous because of the amount of sugar in them. If I ate a dozen doughnuts everyday, it would be bad for me too. Moderation is the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events