Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 07:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The reason they have a covenant marriage in the first place is to make it difficult to get divorced. Seriously, DC, do you really think Anna is going to go against her religion, her parents and her in-laws, and divorce Josh Duggar, no matter what he's done? I'm asking you. Do you think she's independent enough to actually follow through on divorce? And if she doesn't, why do you think she won't?
One day she may. My point, however, was that your understanding of covenant marriage was flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 11:22 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I read something concerning their "Overseas Ministry" that surprised me. I didn't realize they do not speak Spanish! They have enrolled in language classes, something they could have done in the U.S. I don't know how you can spread the word of God with hand gestures alone.

On a related note, I believe they took the words "Quiver full" out of context. I think it means 'plenty of arrows', they seem to think it means 'cannot fit another arrow'. There is no other bond in the world like a mother to child. I cannot imagine the Lord would want to dilute or weaken it by stretching mothers time and attention thin.
Quiverfull in their religion means that they want a family with lots of children, like a quiver that's full of arrows. The main point of the Quiverfull religion was to breed soldiers for Christ, until they were the majority in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
One day she may. My point, however, was that your understanding of covenant marriage was flawed.
For Anna's sake, I certainly hope so. Now I've heard that she's only talked to Josh once since he went into rehab (and there's a question as to whether he's really there or not) and that Anna has moved away with the kids. Honestly, I don't know if all that is true or not.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Quiverfull in their religion means that they want a family with lots of children, like a quiver that's full of arrows. The main point of the Quiverfull religion was to breed soldiers for Christ, until they were the majority in the US.

For Anna's sake, I certainly hope so. Now I've heard that she's only talked to Josh once since he went into rehab (and there's a question as to whether he's really there or not) and that Anna has moved away with the kids. Honestly, I don't know if all that is true or not.
It's difficult enough to have a marriage in crisis, especially when you have four children. To have the public scrutinizing your every move, to have complete strangers criticizing your decisions, makes it a hundred times more difficult. She is seeking privacy right now, and she is fully entitled to it.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:02 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I feel pity for anyone duped into thinking their money was going towards a committed ministry.
I don't...I think they are stupid for giving these people $$$...a fool and his money

Old 09-25-2015, 08:19 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Well, it depends on what you mean by taking care of that family. TLC finished part of the house they live in - I believe it was something like $200,000 that the Duggars were given (yes, given) so they could finish their house. Then the Duggars got it registered as a church, so they don't have to pay taxes on it. And then there's the issue of health insurance. When Jim Bob was an Arkansas State Rep, he got his health insurance then and while I don't know for sure, he is probably still covered by it. Which means that every time Michelle went into the hospital to have yet another kid, the taxpayers paid for that, including their youngest child's month's long hospital stay after she was born premature. And presumably for Michelle's miscarriage after that. And the one that will follow if she gets pregnant again, which I have no doubt she's still trying to do.

Then there's Anna. Both married daughters and Anna have a "covenant marriage", which Arkansas is one of the few states to recognize. So not only does their religion frown on them getting divorced and also puts the blame on the women if the husband strays, but the covenant marriage means that Anna is effectively tied to her husband and will have a very hard time divorcing him. She would have to go through at least 30 months of counseling first and even if she did manage to divorce her (cheating) husband, she has no education, no skills, no one to support her except for her brother, and four kids she would have to take care of. Given that they just bought a new house and Josh finally paid off the $14,000 he owed in back taxes, I doubt there's much money left over for her to live on. And because of her religion, she would get no financial or emotional support from either the Duggars or from her own parents.

On top of everything else, I can only surmise that Josh is the way he is because at the age of two or three, he was already being supplanted by another sibling every year, every year getting less and less attention. Don't forget, the siblings that came after Josh were twins. Michele probably dropped Josh like a hot potato with two babies to care for at the same time. The rage that child went through (and which probably wasn't addressed) is only to be imagined. Sure, he may be a perv now, but if you can't see a lot of anger and rebellion aimed at the restrictive lifestyle he was brought up with, then I don't know what to tell you. And of course the women would appear to be happy. In their religion, they are told to act happy all the time and not allowed to show any other feeling. If you don't believe this, then check out the Quiverfull religion.
Pretty quick to vilify a group of people based on "I assumes".

Old 09-25-2015, 08:21 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenus View Post
No need to post facts and reality. The sheeple prefer to muckrake and denigrate....regardless of truth or honesty.
Never let the facts get in the way of bullying Christians, apparently.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:07 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's difficult enough to have a marriage in crisis, especially when you have four children. To have the public scrutinizing your every move, to have complete strangers criticizing your decisions, makes it a hundred times more difficult. She is seeking privacy right now, and she is fully entitled to it.
Hmm. She sure seemed to like the cameras when times were good!

Ok. I do feel sorry for her because she came from a nutjob family, married into a different nutjob family; got stuck with a diddler and cheater; has no college education to go out and get a job; and already has what, 4? kids? Can you say STUCK?

Not to worry. Jill and Jessa will each have a televised special on TLC coming soon.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:11 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times
Actually there's a story on radaronline... Anna has taken the four kids and moved in with her parents and left the home she shares with Josh.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:55 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Originally Posted by rodentraiser
Well, it depends on what you mean by taking care of that family. TLC finished part of the house they live in - I believe it was something like $200,000 that the Duggars were given (yes, given) so they could finish their house. Then the Duggars got it registered as a church, so they don't have to pay taxes on it. And then there's the issue of health insurance. When Jim Bob was an Arkansas State Rep, he got his health insurance then and while I don't know for sure, he is probably still covered by it. Which means that every time Michelle went into the hospital to have yet another kid, the taxpayers paid for that, including their youngest child's month's long hospital stay after she was born premature. And presumably for Michelle's miscarriage after that. And the one that will follow if she gets pregnant again, which I have no doubt she's still trying to do.

Then there's Anna. Both married daughters and Anna have a "covenant marriage", which Arkansas is one of the few states to recognize. So not only does their religion frown on them getting divorced and also puts the blame on the women if the husband strays, but the covenant marriage means that Anna is effectively tied to her husband and will have a very hard time divorcing him. She would have to go through at least 30 months of counseling first and even if she did manage to divorce her (cheating) husband, she has no education, no skills, no one to support her except for her brother, and four kids she would have to take care of. Given that they just bought a new house and Josh finally paid off the $14,000 he owed in back taxes, I doubt there's much money left over for her to live on. And because of her religion, she would get no financial or emotional support from either the Duggars or from her own parents.

On top of everything else, I can only surmise that Josh is the way he is because at the age of two or three, he was already being supplanted by another sibling every year, every year getting less and less attention. Don't forget, the siblings that came after Josh were twins. Michele probably dropped Josh like a hot potato with two babies to care for at the same time. The rage that child went through (and which probably wasn't addressed) is only to be imagined. Sure, he may be a perv now, but if you can't see a lot of anger and rebellion aimed at the restrictive lifestyle he was brought up with, then I don't know what to tell you. And of course the women would appear to be happy. In their religion, they are told to act happy all the time and not allowed to show any other feeling. If you don't believe this, then check out the Quiverfull religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Pretty quick to vilify a group of people based on "I assumes".
FACT: TLC did put up the money to finish their house. I just don't know exactly how much, although I heard it was $200,000.

FACT: Jim Bob was covered by insurance while he was an Arkansas State Rep. I don't know, as I stated, if he is covered after he is no longer a state rep. Maybe someone more familiar with Arkansas politics can give me the answer on that one.

FACT: Michelle is still not on any birth control and she has stated she would like a 20th child. What part of that makes you believe she's still not actively trying to get pregnant again?

FACT: Josh did owe over $14,000 in back taxes and recently paid that off. He also had two paid accounts on Ashley Madison. How much money do you think he has left to give to his wife?

FACT: by the time Josh was ten he had 10 other siblings. My mom had twins, so I know first hand how difficult it can be with two.

FACT: Michelle has publicly stated that she has the babies with her for several months. After that, they go to a "buddy" in the form of an older sibling because the next one is imminent. Why would you think that would be any different when Josh was younger?

Old 09-29-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser

FACT: TLC did put up the money to finish their house. I just don't know exactly how much, although I heard it was $200,000.

TLC took a hand in speeding up the completion of the home in order to meet their own filming schedule. The family had bought a house kit and was constructing the house themselves. TLC, or its parent company the Discovery Network, got some sponsors to help with painting, decorating and furnishing the house, so that they could film their special. SPONSORS get something back, so it's not really a donation, and the house didn't even have a/c to begin with.

FACT: Jim Bob was covered by insurance while he was an Arkansas State Rep. I don't know, as I stated, if he is covered after he is no longer a state rep. Maybe someone more familiar with Arkansas politics can give me the answer on that one.

Actually, in their book the Duggars explain that they purchase insurance with very high deductibles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events