Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 11:59 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
As ridiculous as it sounds, businesses are not allowed to discriminate someone because of their gender. Men's barbershop included.
That is NOT discriminating.. It is FACT.. He cuts MEN'S hair and not women's...It is a totally different concept between the two sexes.. Just like you can't ask a plumber to do your electrical problem.. He won't do it and it is NOT discrimination...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 12:25 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
That is NOT discriminating.. It is FACT.. He cuts MEN'S hair and not women's...It is a totally different concept between the two sexes.. Just like you can't ask a plumber to do your electrical problem.. He won't do it and it is NOT discrimination...
Cutting a fade is cutting a fade. The sex of the person whose hair is being cut makes no difference.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:30 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Cutting a fade is cutting a fade. The sex of the person whose hair is being cut makes no difference.
^this^

i'm a female and have been to barber shops to get a fade (when I used to wear one back in the day, super super short). I didn't get any extra charges or told that I couldn't get my hair cut there

but then again maybe I just went to shops where all that mattered was providing the service to get the green LOL

Old 09-14-2015, 12:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Right or wrong, she was wrong to blow this completely out of proportion. Just go somewhere else, no circus necessary.
Not to mention the shop in question OFFERED to pay for it for her.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:59 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,222,814 times
They could have just given her a mans haircut if she just wanted to be treated equally. number 1 blade guard please. lol.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
They could have just given her a mans haircut if she just wanted to be treated equally. number 1 blade guard please. lol.

Do you people not read? A typically man's haircut is exactly what she wanted and why she went to a barbershop.

And she did not sue anyone (just thrown in for good measure)

Old 09-14-2015, 02:09 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
I have long wondered about this - the price disparity I mean - not that ive ever been tempted to step into a barbershop!

FWIW the new style barbers springing up everywhere in Aus DO cut womens hair.

If you want a short back and sides theyre great.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:19 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So, here we go again. A high end Barber Shop that specifically caters to men refused to cut the hair of a woman who scheduled an appointment online. When she showed up the owner informed her they would not be able to cut her hair, apologized and suggested a salon down the street. When she became angry he even offered to pay for her visit to the salon.
She left and filed a complaint which resulted in a $750 fine.
Set up or just a random accident?
This crud is getting wayyyy out of hand...

Article:
Barbiere, located in Washington, Pennsylvania, is a “high end Gentlemen’s Barber Shop.” The shop specializes in haircuts, shaves, beard trims, and grey blending.
Although the store explicitly and exclusively caters to men, Diamond Pecjak reportedly came into Barbiere on March 11 seeking a haircut. After barber Kerri Wonsettler allegedly told Pecjak he doesn’t cut women’s hair, Pecjak filed a complaint with the Pennsylvania Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs.

Source:
Gentlemen
I don't think folk would be quite so flippant if it were THEM on the side of constant low level discrimination...?

Its not just about Barbershops. Go buy a pair of pants - womens are about twice the price of mens.

Underwear, tampons, haircuts, shoes, on and on it goes....

Constant, baseless discrimination hitting the Traditionally Lower Earner (women) in the pocket again and again yet no ones allowed to mention it in fear of offending it seems.

You only get to say "not this again" when you're on the Winning Side...

Old 09-14-2015, 02:41 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Here smarty pants and the few others griping at me . Apparently there has been a Second incident of it near where I live at approx the same time . When I saw it I wasn't sure if it was here or elsewhere in the US because I was just waking up .
THIS IS THE INCIDENT OF WHICH I SPEAK .. jeez
I looked at your links and I'm struggling to figure out what the point was? The woman in Pennsylvania was told by the barber they would not cut her hair because she is a woman, that seems indisputable since the barbershop owner paid the fine and has not attempted to deny the charge. It really has nothing to do with the incident in Oregon...maybe you should think before you call people "smarty pants"

Old 09-14-2015, 02:42 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
Yeah, but my pelvis can't be examined, so it's different. It's not like this lady was bald or something... She did have hair they could have cut or buzzed or done something with. I reckon in some states by law you can't refuse business from someone on the basis of gender, no matter how ridiculous the incident is (like this one..)
Why couldn't she politely 'thank him' and walk away......the b*tch sued! Yes, sue no matter how ridiculous! She is the one with issues.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I have long wondered about this - the price disparity I mean - not that ive ever been tempted to step into a barbershop!

FWIW the new style barbers springing up everywhere in Aus DO cut womens hair.

If you want a short back and sides theyre great.
I have and for the most part salons are much cleaner and seem to be more what most women are looking for. Plenty of hairdressers know how to do this cut......she is looking for easy money and fame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events