Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 04:40 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately for everyone concerned -- both humans and wild things, not only in Africa, but in the developed Western World, too -- people and wild Nature are increasingly in conflict ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 04:41 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Yes …

There are almost no surviving people in that part of Africa, due to the absence of the Dentist guy ...
But as you stated earlier those people should defend themselves as they have done for many generations...

You did say that, right?

Yop, you said that:

Quote:
The people of Africa are able to defend themselves and their children and crops without needing help from North American guys, just as they had done successfully for thousands of years ...

Old 09-15-2015, 04:42 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times
But … The "Cecil" controversy-tragedy-problem was injected into the initial post of this thread, not by me ...

Old 09-15-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately for everyone concerned -- both humans and wild things, not only in Africa, but in the developed Western World, too -- people and wild Nature are increasingly in conflict ...
Why, is it because urban sprawl, or people declaring that animals such as the mountain lion in California cannot be hunted because of proposition 119?

Old 09-15-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
But … The "Cecil" controversy-tragedy-problem was injected into the initial post of this thread, not by me ...
Not in the context you are speaking of...but continue to play words...

Old 09-15-2015, 10:03 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
What it comes down to in the U.S. is a battle between people that live in the big cities who go to those areas once or have never been there, demanding that the animal population of all kind be huge so if they do go out in the country that they may have a chance to see one.

Versus, the people who live in those areas, and the effects that too big an animal population has on the permanent residents.

There is a big group, that is demanding that in Yellowstone National Park, they force the Grizzle Bears come out so they can be viewed up close by the visitors to the park. Just a few years ago, some crazy tourist spread honey on her small child's hand, so she could get a picture of a Mother Grizzle Bear licking the honey off of the child's hand as she thought that would be a cute memento. The Grizzle did lick it off alright after she bit it off of the girl, who now has one less hand to live with.

Heavy predator population makes a danger for both people and animals in the area, but that does not bother the people that live in the city. They don't care how it effects the local people and animals, as long as there are lots of them for the city people to look at. In some cities, it is considered dangerous for the locals in certain areas of the city, with shootings and murders taking place daily. They demand that the police stop them and make it safe for people, then turn around and demand the end to killing and hunting predator animals so they can look at them.

It is kind of like the Redwood National Park. They wanted those old growth trees saved for the city people to look at, and put so much pressure that the park was created. First thing the park service had to do was to eliminate the old logging roads all over the park that were created so logging trucks could haul off the logs the last time is was logged over. It is not old growth forest, but regrowth, and when it reached the size to log again, they called it old growth forest and demanded logging cease. Next they are going to demand that corn farmers, not harvest their corn but let it alone so it can keep coming up from the seeds not harvested forever so it will look good to the tourist. Corn like trees, has a growth period, and a harvest period, but the city people don't see it that way. Northern California, Oregon and Washington was a great forest product area, with harvesting replanting, and re-harvesting just like any other crop. Trees instead of corn, etc. They destroyed the economies in the timber area, and people lost their livelihoods. The Emerald Triangle which is Humboldt, Mendocino, and Trinity County in California changed from farming trees, to farming Marijuana. Now it is dangerous for people to go look at the forests they stopped logging in, as they may be shot by Marijuana farmers. To me changing the economy of the area from timber products to illegal Marijuana farms is crazy.

It is crazy in my opinion to stop hunting even when wild animals over run people, force Grizzle Bears to come out and perform for tourists, etc., and stop all logging, etc. to make people that live in U.S. cities happy but dangerous and financially destroying areas both in the U.S. and other countries for the local people.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:23 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What it comes down to in the U.S. is a battle between people that live in the big cities who go to those areas once or have never been there, demanding that the animal population of all kind be huge so if they do go out in the country that they may have a chance to see one.

Versus, the people who live in those areas, and the effects that too big an animal population has on the permanent residents.

There is a big group, that is demanding that in Yellowstone National Park, they force the Grizzle Bears come out so they can be viewed up close by the visitors to the park. Just a few years ago, some crazy tourist spread honey on her small child's hand, so she could get a picture of a Mother Grizzle Bear licking the honey off of the child's hand as she thought that would be a cute memento. The Grizzle did lick it off alright after she bit it off of the girl, who now has one less hand to live with.

Heavy predator population makes a danger for both people and animals in the area, but that does not bother the people that live in the city. They don't care how it effects the local people and animals, as long as there are lots of them for the city people to look at. In some cities, it is considered dangerous for the locals in certain areas of the city, with shootings and murders taking place daily. They demand that the police stop them and make it safe for people, then turn around and demand the end to killing and hunting predator animals so they can look at them.

It is kind of like the Redwood National Park. They wanted those old growth trees saved for the city people to look at, and put so much pressure that the park was created. First thing the park service had to do was to eliminate the old logging roads all over the park that were created so logging trucks could haul off the logs the last time is was logged over. It is not old growth forest, but regrowth, and when it reached the size to log again, they called it old growth forest and demanded logging cease. Next they are going to demand that corn farmers, not harvest their corn but let it alone so it can keep coming up from the seeds not harvested forever so it will look good to the tourist. Corn like trees, has a growth period, and a harvest period, but the city people don't see it that way. Northern California, Oregon and Washington was a great forest product area, with harvesting replanting, and re-harvesting just like any other crop. Trees instead of corn, etc. They destroyed the economies in the timber area, and people lost their livelihoods. The Emerald Triangle which is Humboldt, Mendocino, and Trinity County in California changed from farming trees, to farming Marijuana. Now it is dangerous for people to go look at the forests they stopped logging in, as they may be shot by Marijuana farmers. To me changing the economy of the area from timber products to illegal Marijuana farms is crazy.

It is crazy in my opinion to stop hunting even when wild animals over run people, force Grizzle Bears to come out and perform for tourists, etc., and stop all logging, etc. to make people that live in U.S. cities happy but dangerous and financially destroying areas both in the U.S. and other countries for the local people.
1. The bear story never happened. It's an urban legend.

2. Legalize marijuana. Then it will be grown by indoor facilities and people will go back to farming trees, the environment will improve, and everyone will be safer.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:03 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
1. The bear story never happened. It's an urban legend.

2. Legalize marijuana. Then it will be grown by indoor facilities and people will go back to farming trees, the environment will improve, and everyone will be safer.
Their goes your power grid....seems no answer to those in it for money. I say let each person grow their own and pass it out, people don't need pot farmers.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:59 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
I grew up and have lived my whole life with wild animals as "neighbors". I've been on two tracks for stock killing mountain lions, and dealing with coyotes is a constant chore. Thanks to ignorant city dicks and irresponsible pet "owners", feral cats and dogs are also an issue, worse than the indigenous wildlife could ever be, on the worst season. Cats, especially, are a nasty pest. They are quite ..prolific...and just tear hell out of things. They have been really hard on game bird populations, a d regularly raid Ben houses and rabbit hutches, as well.

County animal control will pick up stray dogs, hopefully before they go feral, but there is an established population in some areas, now. They won't do anything about cats. Trap them or shoot them are the options. I shoot feral cats. Call me heartless, but they are nasty buggers, wanton killers, and I hate them, but not as much as the people who dump them on us. Over the years, we have actually adopted (or more aptly were adopted) by dumped cats, that wandered in and decided we were suitable to their needs. So, they get taken in, fixed, and became "family". Same with a couple dogs. The ones that go feral are a sad situation, but they have to go. Were it that they could catch more dumpers , in the act. Its a stiff fine and can get jail time, as well, depending on circumstances.

Dumped animals, that turn feral, are actually a worse issue, for us, than mountain lions, and even coyotes, and the latter are hard on our stock. Mountain lions have been a bigger issue for the ranches with bigger herds, lately, because the drought has pushed the cats down lower. They are even popping up in populated areas, now. Even on the outskirts of Reno, and Carson, there have been a few sightings. Deer are all over within the city limits of Carson City. Its not unusual , at all, to see them browsing on the Capitol Building grounds. They seem to favor that area, for some reason. Availability of water and munchies.

Coexistence with wildlife is a way of life for us. Sometimes it gets hard. Things have to be done to balance things out. Some critters don't coexist with humans, as well as others, and NONE of them should be taken for granted. I've seen people putting out food for coyotes. They think its neato to have them hanging around. This draws in other critters, as well, like mountain lions, and its not rare that pets go missing too. Someone forgets, or just blows off, laying out the chow, Wiley's gotten used to it being there, so be just helps himself to Fluffy the cat, or Peanut , the toy Poodle, tbafs outside for a potty break.

People need to educate themselves. Wild animals will be wild.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:37 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I grew up and have lived my whole life with wild animals as "neighbors". I've been on two tracks for stock killing mountain lions, and dealing with coyotes is a constant chore. Thanks to ignorant city dicks and irresponsible pet "owners", feral cats and dogs are also an issue, worse than the indigenous wildlife could ever be, on the worst season. Cats, especially, are a nasty pest. They are quite ..prolific...and just tear hell out of things. They have been really hard on game bird populations, a d regularly raid Ben houses and rabbit hutches, as well.

County animal control will pick up stray dogs, hopefully before they go feral, but there is an established population in some areas, now. They won't do anything about cats. Trap them or shoot them are the options. I shoot feral cats. Call me heartless, but they are nasty buggers, wanton killers, and I hate them, but not as much as the people who dump them on us. Over the years, we have actually adopted (or more aptly were adopted) by dumped cats, that wandered in and decided we were suitable to their needs. So, they get taken in, fixed, and became "family". Same with a couple dogs. The ones that go feral are a sad situation, but they have to go. Were it that they could catch more dumpers , in the act. Its a stiff fine and can get jail time, as well, depending on circumstances.

Dumped animals, that turn feral, are actually a worse issue, for us, than mountain lions, and even coyotes, and the latter are hard on our stock. Mountain lions have been a bigger issue for the ranches with bigger herds, lately, because the drought has pushed the cats down lower. They are even popping up in populated areas, now. Even on the outskirts of Reno, and Carson, there have been a few sightings. Deer are all over within the city limits of Carson City. Its not unusual , at all, to see them browsing on the Capitol Building grounds. They seem to favor that area, for some reason. Availability of water and munchies.

Coexistence with wildlife is a way of life for us. Sometimes it gets hard. Things have to be done to balance things out. Some critters don't coexist with humans, as well as others, and NONE of them should be taken for granted. I've seen people putting out food for coyotes. They think its neato to have them hanging around. This draws in other critters, as well, like mountain lions, and its not rare that pets go missing too. Someone forgets, or just blows off, laying out the chow, Wiley's gotten used to it being there, so be just helps himself to Fluffy the cat, or Peanut , the toy Poodle, tbafs outside for a potty break.

People need to educate themselves. Wild animals will be wild.
When we first moved into our house, on the first night I heard a scratching and went to the door. Much to my surprise two very large skunks were at the door. Then the next night too. I called a number left for us by one of the old tenants and yes, they were feeding them. The same with a family of Raccoons by the next door neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events