Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:00 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,634,302 times

Advertisements

Never have liked the show and as far as Behar returning just thought it was a bad idea. She couldnt hold onto her own show for long. Shes been very insulting over the years. Daytime tv is so lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 11:31 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,252,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
To azriverfan, and any other physicians reading this: yes, many nurses can be bullies. I shouldn't be surprised that they take their anger out at new doctors, because they are vulnerable, and that's the usual target for a bully.

Unfortunately, new nurses take the brunt of the anger from these bullies. Nurses are infamous within the profession for "eating their own." In my opinion, the anger is borne out of frustration and a feeling of powerlessness...not that there is ever a good excuse for bullying others.

It's a symptom of big problems within the profession. Just about every new nurse experiences bullying and passive-agressive behavior from co-workers. This can make it very difficult to work as team. The patient doesn't get the quality care they deserve, as a result.
What nurses need to realize is that when they bully medical students, residents and fellows or as one nurse affectionately called it "eating their young", it perpetuates a cycle of animosity toward nurses. When those doctors finish training, they remember what it was like to be hazed by nurses and then similarly mistreat nurses. I also work in a teaching hospital so I supervise fellows, residents, and medical students and I witness it. These specific nurses treat me with respect but certainly not the fellows, residents and medical students.

I think much of this has to do with many misconceptions nurses have regarding these physicians. Many nurses tend to lump all fellows, residents and medical students into one category (trainee) and other doctors (attendings). That's not really the case. Residents are physicians. Many of them have their state medical license and a DEA number and moonlight at other hospitals on the weekends. They are very much physicians and many of them are in their 30's and have families. To refer to them as their "young" is rather disrespectful. They are anything but "young" In addition, fellows are board certified physicians in other fields such as general surgery, internal medicine and pediatrics. That means they not only have their medical license and DEA, they have actually completed their boards. They are not really even "students". They are pursuing additional training. I have a cardiology fellow who I supervise. She is in her 40's and practiced internal medicine for 10 years prior to doing a fellowship in cardiology. The nurses treat her like she is a medical student.

And even medical students should not be referred to in that manner. They have completed 4 years of college. Many have completed other degrees and were in the military or in other careers. Many are married and have children. These are highly responsible professionals. To refer to them as your "young" is also insulting and disrespectful.

It should not matter what their status is. All of these physicians whether they are an attending, fellow, resident or medical student should be treated in the same manner as how you would want to be treated. Likewise, there is never an excuse to yell, berate or belittle a nurse. I've never done it. It's about treating your fellow human being with respect. It goes beyond job titles. It's about human dignity.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-20-2015 at 11:41 AM..

Old 09-20-2015, 11:45 AM

2,051 posts, read 1,845,082 times
No one is defending bullying. To me it is a sign of ignorance, weakness, and lack of self control. People who bully aren't likely to recognize it in themselves or admit that they have a problem.
I have also encountered plenty of bullying physicians. And some who throw things at people.
There are bullies in pretty much every field of work...where there is a lot of stress, there tend to be more of them. I'm sure you have noticed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What nurses need to realize is that when they bully medical students, residents and fellows or as one nurse affectionately called it "eating their young", it perpetuates a cycle of animosity toward nurses. When those doctors finish training, they remember what it was like to be hazed by nurses and then similarly mistreat nurses. I also work in a teaching hospital so I supervise fellows, residents, and medical students and I witness it. These specific nurses treat me with respect but certainly not the fellows, residents and medical students.

I think much of this has to do with many misconceptions nurses have regarding these physicians. Many nurses tend to lump all fellows, residents and medical students into one category (trainee) and other doctors (attendings). That's not really the case. Residents are physicians. Many of them have their state medical license and a DEA number and moonlight at other hospitals on the weekends. They are very much physicians and many of them are in their 30's and have families. To refer to them as their "young" is rather disrespectful. They are anything but "young" In addition, fellows are board certified physicians in other fields such as general surgery, internal medicine and pediatrics. That means they not only have their medical license and DEA, they have actually completed their boards. They are not really even "students". They are pursuing additional training. I have a cardiology fellow who I supervise. She is in her 40's and practiced internal medicine for 10 years prior to doing a fellowship in cardiology. The nurses treat her like she is a medical student.

And even medical students should not be referred to in that manner. They have completed 4 years of college. Many have completed other degrees and were in the military or in other careers. Many are married and have children. These are highly responsible professionals. To refer to them as your "young" is also insulting and disrespectful.

It should not matter what their status is. All of these physicians whether they are an attending, fellow, resident or medical student should be treated in the same manner as how you would want to be treated.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:23 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,531,162 times
Quote:

It should not matter what their status is. All of these physicians whether they are an attending, fellow, resident or medical student should be treated in the same manner as how you would want to be treated. Likewise, there is never an excuse to yell, berate or belittle a nurse. I've never done it. It's about treating your fellow human being with respect. It goes beyond job titles. It's about human dignity.
And yet you are "lumping" all nurses together in this very post?

Old 09-20-2015, 03:26 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,645,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
I have also encountered plenty of bullying physicians. And some who throw things at people.
^^ We called that the "God" syndrome.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:15 PM

537 posts, read 766,031 times
Quote:

I do not think this means what you think it means. LOL

"Their young" are novice nurses....not residents. Seriously, it's not always all about you...LOL. The cohort of nurses that do this don't sit around thinking about sabotaging doctors and med students...because most of the time there is so much fresh nursing school meat to chew on. LOL

I definitely agree with your last few sentences. There should be more mutual respect all around.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:41 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,845,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post
I do not think this means what you think it means. LOL

"Their young" are novice nurses....not residents. Seriously, it's not always all about you...LOL. The cohort of nurses that do this don't sit around thinking about sabotaging doctors and med students...because most of the time there is so much fresh nursing school meat to chew on. LOL

I definitely agree with your last few sentences. There should be more mutual respect all around.
Thanks for clarifying that phrase. It has always seemed to have a tongue in cheek meaning to me. Yet there are too many nurses who are willing to "eat their young;" because of their own misery, I suspect. Happy people don't treat others that way.
I agree with the last few sentences, too. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events