Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 06:39 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times

Advertisements

It makes no difference whether or not he was the "creator" or "innovator". What does matter is that he now owns it and is completely within his right to sell, price, and distribute it as he sees fit. It's called buying market share. How is it any different than when-say one airline buys up another? It's instant, overnight ability to establish a presence and exert some influence and pricing power in the desired market(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 06:57 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,504 times
Haven't the patents expired on this medication? Can someone say "generic"?

Old 09-23-2015, 07:09 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
This is about "Current" Events. The event being this hedge fund manager price gouging on something he didn't even create or innovate.
Just like I said, the topic isn't about you.

This is a serious problem that can cause people to make tough choices of paying rent, eating, etc vs living. AIDS is still a life threatening disease that can cause death unless medicated properly.

Your attempts to hijack it to tell us yet again about your silly pretend "movement" against a pretend "issue" speaks greatly to its complete irrelevancy.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:11 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
It makes no difference whether or not he was the "creator" or "innovator". What does matter is that he now owns it and is completely within his right to sell, price, and distribute it as he sees fit. It's called buying market share. How is it any different than when-say one airline buys up another? It's instant, overnight ability to establish a presence and exert some influence and pricing power in the desired market(s).
Because that's a lawyer's definition and this is real life.

You can't buy certain things.

Try buying up all the water. Or ALL the food. Or some other necessity and price gouging and see what happens.

I say this as a business man. That doesn't even make sense for a society. So no rational lawmaker would ever allow this to happen in a society where we are forced to share resources since birth.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:54 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You should amend your statement. Not every country is as peaceful as South Africa and the Philippines. Most are violent and know no other way.
No country is as violent as the United States, as Martin L King stated
"The greatest purveyor of violence in the world today: my own Government...I cannot be silent."

America Has Been At War 93% of the Time - 222 Out of 239 Years - Since 1776 Washington's Blog

Old 09-23-2015, 01:19 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
How can you compare a life saving drug to the price of a automobile, it boggles my mind.
That someone may "need" what I have in no way creates an obligation on my part to provide it to them at a price that they, or you, deem acceptable. Such an idea boggles my mind.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
I need to turn a profit is the defacto go to excuse for rich white folks raping the common man. The pill costs a dollar to make and probably 5-10 bucks in additional costs. This demon could easily make a profit charging 30-50 bucks for it, but whites, being the lecherous soul less scavengers they are, saw an opening and decided to go for the jugular.
Nice bigoted rant. Hate white people much?

Old 09-23-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
The truth of the matter is the extreme wealthy and corporations are the biggest welfare queens.
Between tax loopholes and subsidies they pay very little tax or no tax at all while getting millions in tax returns, we the people have to make up the difference.
Do you always just make stuff up? What you are claiming is simply not true.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
When I first read your post I assumed you were being sarcastic. Now I'm not sure, are you being serious?
Absolutely serious.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
"Their property?" That's a stretch.

He may have paid for the patent but he didn't create a damn thing. And honestly, people should just show up where he lives until the price drops.
No stretch at all. Creating something isn't the only way to own property. That may be tough for you to understand, but it is pretty basic. If you buy a can of Coca-Cola, you paid for it, and you own it. It is your property, even though you didn't create it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events