Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:19 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times

Advertisements

And this went from awkward to full blown creepy in the comments section, a myriad of pedophiles coming out of the woodwork, trying to defend their predilection.

Quote:
I love little girls. I've never hurt them and never did anything bad to them. Never been to prison or anything like that. All I do is enjoy spending time with them and making them laugh. I just ignore the intolerant bigots whose brains are incapable of understanding. Nobody needs to know about my attraction. It doesn't do any good to tell anybody. People don't act bothered when I keep it to myself

Quote:

If girls were uncomfortable around me then why do they beg me to take them places and spend time with them? Wouldn't they try avoid being around me? I'm not autistic, I can read people's non-verbal cues. I can tell when a child is upset about something even if they don't verbally express it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 12:33 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
So he claims. He spent years on a forum populated by hardcore pedophiles but he never did anything wrong, nope, he was a good boy scout. You have to be pretty Pollyannish to believe that.
Do you have evidence that he ever harmed a child? If not you're just mud slinging because it makes you feel good.
If someone has terrible impulses but never acts on them is he a terrible person? If a man fantasizes about raping women but never hurts anyone is he a rapist and a monster? If a woman fantasizes about poisoning her boss' coffee every day but never actually does it, is she a bad person?
Feeling the urge to molest little children is obviously disgusting and something I really don't understand, but if he never acts on his urges then the worst he's done is write this pity-party article to make himself feel better about his disgusting nature.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:40 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,226 times
Quote:
This comment posted in response to the article sums up my feelings very well, especially the bold parts.

I guess what I am wondering is this: Is there value in having (or allowing) a conversation that makes someone realize that what they believe is wrong? A lot of pedophiles are very good at justifying their behavior and convincing themselves they are not wrong. Now, I imagine there is a sociopathic tendency there as well. But if there is a conversation that makes someone say, "I am like that person" and makes them re-evaluate the justification of unacceptable behavior, is it worth it?

I don't know the answer, but my gut tells me it's better to shine a light in the dark places even if we don't like it in order to make things better.

I don't feel sorry for a pedophile that acts on his or her urges. But I do think it must be a horrible thing to have to live with if you work against it every single day. Does it make me naive to think that way? Sure, fine. Okay. But I will never excuse the abuse or victimization of children. Never.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:41 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Do you have evidence that he ever harmed a child? If not you're just mud slinging because it makes you feel good.
If someone has terrible impulses but never acts on them is he a terrible person? If a man fantasizes about raping women but never hurts anyone is he a rapist and a monster? If a woman fantasizes about poisoning her boss' coffee every day but never actually does it, is she a bad person?
Feeling the urge to molest little children is obviously disgusting and something I really don't understand, but if he never acts on his urges then the worst he's done is write this pity-party article to make himself feel better about his disgusting nature.

I'd say that common sense will tell you that someone that fantasies about raping women is more likely to rape a woman than your average man, just as the same as someone that fantasizes about children is more likely to sexually abuse them than an average guy, but hey, common sense really isn't all that common I guess.

Someone who spends years on a forum filled with pedophiles who openly advocate for sex with children but claims to never have seen or done anything illegal throughout that whole time may just be full of crap.

You have to completely suspend all disbelief to think that this guy never once received any photos or videos on a forum that he won't name, that he was just simply there for years surrounded by those those he admits were openly pursuing sex with kids, chatting about baseball, apple pie and the number seven.

If he really wants to show that he is looking out for kids, why not give someone a heads up on some of the activities that went on in that forum, by all accounts he was a regular there for many years. I don't think any reasonable person buys that absolutely nothing illegal ever went on in a forum that was filled with those who have a predilection over something that is inherently illegal and morally repugnant in nature.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:44 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I agree with you. IF he has never acted upon those impulses I can give him some credit for his self-control and restraint. I still think that by publishing such an article Salon is, at the very least, doing society a disservice by shining a sympathetic light on pedophilia.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:50 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I agree with you. IF he has never acted upon those impulses I can give him some credit for his self-control and restraint. I still think that by publishing such an article Salon is, at the very least, doing society a disservice by shining a sympathetic light on pedophilia.
I think the article is about understanding. Hard to fix a problem, if there's no clear understanding of it.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:52 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
What should we do with pedophilic thinking, specifically those who never act on their impulses?

Mind control? Behavior modification via drugs or electro shock or neural stimuli? Death? Lifelong isolation and persecution? Rehabilitation camps?

Pick one or more and tell me more about it, or come up with your own ideas for what you want done. Clearly there's no room for ANY sort of understanding, compassion, etc. judging by this thread. You're the scum of the earth for mere thoughts, it's apparent.
--------------
Okay, next question: how will you IDENTIFY pedophilic thinking, specifically in those who never act on their impulses?

Well clearly we need to devote a lot of time and money to developing Thought Police.

Conservative values...

Old 09-24-2015, 12:53 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
I'd say that common sense will tell you that someone that fantasies about raping women is more likely to rape a woman than your average man, just as the same as someone that fantasizes about children is more likely to sexually abuse them than an average guy, but hey, common sense really isn't all that common I guess.
Common sense also says that evidence is required to condemn someone. Otherwise we're just savages.

Quote:
Someone who spends years on a forum filled with pedophiles who openly advocate for sex with children but claims to never have seen or done anything illegal throughout that whole time may just be full of crap.
Maybe. Maybe not. Neither of us know. All we know is what's in the article. And consider that to be a child molester you have to have powerful urges and the will to act on it. That's a combination of two unusual behaviors. It's one thing to want to do devious things. It's a very different thing to act on them.
I used to plan out in my head how I would rob banks and the idea was very exciting. I would draw floorplans, map out camera angles, figure out when the most money would be on hand, things like that. But I never robbed any banks. I could have tried, but the reward wasn't worth the risk. Would you assume that I'm a bank robber?

Quote:
You have to completely suspend all disbelief to think that this guy never once received any photos or videos, that he was just simply there for years with those he admits were openly pursuing sex with kids, chatting about baseball, apple pie and the number seven.
I don't know how such forums operate so I really have no idea.

Last edited by MordinSolus; 09-24-2015 at 01:32 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 12:54 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I don't think that's the case here. Nobody is condoning relationships between adults and children - but if more people like him came forward and admitted their sexual attraction to children, then they can receive the help they need and maybe, just maybe, we can prevent these people from actually acting on their impulses in the first place - and society will be better if that's the case.

Child sexual abuse is the scourge of the world, and nothing makes me angrier, but it can really warp our judgement at times. Some guy here was recently beaten to death because people suspected he was a pedophile - he wasn't. It's a subject that rightly disgusts people but when we start forming lynch mobs and become vigilant, innocent people get hurt.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:02 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
If taken seriously, the writer is seeking understanding which will lead to "but I was born that way" appeals.
But the author himself admits that he wasn't "born that way." He was sexually abused as a child and the trusted adult he told about it did nothing but tell him to pretend it never happened. It's a vicious cycle and perhaps more transparency and compassion would allow everyone to get the help they need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events