Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:56 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,446,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Ever heard of the bystander effect? Well, the school administrators are taking it to another level by institutionalizing it. The next time a disabled kid gets bullied, any would-be defender will think twice before intervening.
Sadly you are right.

Ladies and gentlemen, I think it's safe to say the insane have indeed taken over managing the asylum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:00 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,575,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Bullying is down to Record lows in this country because of Schools Districts, "No Tolerance Policy" on Bullying.
Maybe that's true. But, that Schools District's, "No Tolerance Policy" on Bullying didn't seem to be working to protect the blind kid. But, I'm sure the blind kid is happy that the School District has a "No Tolerance Policy" on Bullying.

Idiot adults. You don't want bullying? Then have some adult supervision. Nothing else works.

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 09-29-2015 at 12:18 AM..

Old 09-29-2015, 04:14 AM

11,670 posts, read 5,696,548 times
Slaughter - even adult supervision doesn't work. When my son was in high school a student attacked a female security guard who was trying to break up a fight. My son, 6"5", grabbed the kid and held him against the cafeteria wall, until help came. In walks the female vice principal and suspends my son for coming to the security guards rescue. Nothing the security guard said would change things.

He was given in school suspension at another building and was told he'd have to forfeit taking his exams that week - that's where my husband said enough and he and a friend who's a lawyer went to visit the vp - my son got to take the exams but was still suspended.

Having been a victim of bullying - I don't condone it but each situation is different - in my son's case he was "bullying" supposedly but was trying to save a security guard from getting hurt. The kid in the video deserved that hit and more. The one who ended the fight - should not have been kicked off the football team. Talking would have done no good as the bully's friends would have joined the ruckus - 1 quick punch put an end to the situation and you can even hear the bully's friends say what the f*** man - like he didn't deserve it. Pathetic.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:10 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,915,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Igot View Post
Calling that young man a "Bully" is hurtful and uncalled for. His self esteem could be damaged. Violence is never the answer. The other student should have sat both of them down and tried to reason with them.
I hope this is sarcasm...

seriously...

That bully needs his ass beat...repeatedly...

Old 09-29-2015, 05:27 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,444,349 times
That wasn't a Sucker Punch. It was the right thing to do. If you're going to stop a fight, strike hard and fast. Only a PC pansy would try to reason with a punk who is beating up a smaller child, blind or not.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:26 AM

15,752 posts, read 20,346,743 times
Sadly more people don't do this because they are afraid of the rammifications. Bullies can be bullies but the minute someone steps in to stop it the questions of "will they get arrested, suspended, sued, etc come up.

An adult might step back and think.....will I have $100K in legal fees and lose my house over this?

Sadly that's the world we live in.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:19 PM

34,744 posts, read 16,758,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Sadly more people don't do this because they are afraid of the rammifications. Bullies can be bullies but the minute someone steps in to stop it the questions of "will they get arrested, suspended, sued, etc come up.

An adult might step back and think.....will I have $100K in legal fees and lose my house over this?

Sadly that's the world we live in.
This anti-bullying craze is political correctness; skin deep and that's it. Bullies always win. For example see below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My older son is 17 months older than my younger son, but disproportionately stronger. My younger son is also on the high-functioning end of the autism spectrum. The two generally enjoy an extraordinarily close and positive relationship.

In June 2008 my older son was getting a bit rowdy with my younger son. I sat my older son down on the stairs and told him in a stern voice that he is "never to pick on anyone smaller or weaker than him, for any reason." I thought nothing of it, just being a father.

That October my younger son was bothering his brother at school. My wife and I asked the school to separate them during the day as much as possible. The school psychologist called my older son in and asked him, for no reason, if h is "parents had ever done anything that frightened him." He told her that his father (me) had "put him on the stairs" the prior spring, and lectured him. The school recorded that I "pushed him down the stairs." My older son in vain tried to correct the report. The result was that we were "investigated" by Child Protective Services. A couple of months later we went to the superintendent to try to get the blemish cleared off my record. He said he "wished that more parents would do what I did" about bullying. I said "not if you call Child Protective Services."

The moral of the story; that the schools talk a good line about bullying but don't walk that line.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:28 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,213,475 times
There was once a time when the teachers, the principal, and students alike could beat you. Students at one time had the green card to give bullies a taste of their own medicine. Maybe it's time to bring that back.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:37 AM

3,276 posts, read 2,105,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I hope not. There is a huge problem when we decide to punish those who do the right thing. If that is how we "reward" those that are willing to step in why are we surprised that no one does?
This is how schools have elected to operate, with increasing zeal, for two or more decades. With almost no exceptions, "No Tolerance" is inherently synonymous with 'No Self-Defense.' Such policy clearly deviates from the universally accepted legal principle that one may respond with reasonable and proportionate force in order to prevent injury to themselves or to those around them.

There's something fundamentally wrong with telling children that they have to accept and take (or idly observe) a physical beating in order to stay in school as well as out of prison.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:09 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,835,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl1002 View Post
What is this world coming to? Bullying is out of control
No it's not. One kid being a terrible human being does not mean bullying is out of control. There have always been bullies and there always will be bullies. Just because the media slaps every bullying "viral video" on the top of their home page with BULLY VIDEO in all caps doesn't mean it's out of control. It means that these clickbait headlines are generating ad revenue. Once everyone gets tired of this nonsense and stops clicking on those headlines we'll all be lead to believe that the bully epidemic has been solved thanks to the acting POTUS at the time when really people just get fatigued on the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Sometimes, yes. Most of the time, no. The bystanders are filming the confrontation drooling over all the twitter 'likes' they're going to get. If they let it play out on their video, maybe they'll be on Ellen next week!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events