Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 11:16 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,367,819 times

Advertisements

if you asked the pope about all the ridiculous things in the bible like noah's ark, would he try to say that stuff really happened?

I mean, does the church mandate that priests and higher ups have to stick by that? Serious question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 11:27 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Really? Thanks so much, TigerLily! My Spanish is about on par with my Italian. The little I saw of the broadcast had too much background noise, as well as the English translator speaking over the Pope. I already know about the Pope's agenda, but even though I'm not Catholic, I don't care for the remarks about Jesus failing at the cross - IF indeed he said that.

Blessings,

Mahrie.

Edited to add: This wasn't the speech I heard, TigerLily. In the speech I heard the Pope talked about St. Joseph and how Jesus was homeless when He came into this world, and then he went on to talk about homelessness in America. The broadcast came from St. Patrick's Church, so I've no idea if he gave more than one address. I'm thinking that he must have....

Mahrie.
The linked article in Tiger Lily's post may help to put the Pope's remarks about Jesus' "failure on the cross" in context. This comment is in no way meant as a denigration or demeaning of Jesus' crucifixion or death, in fact, as I see it it's meant to encourage those who are suffering or going through difficult, discouraging times by reminding them that their Leader, Jesus was also reviled by his adversaries.

I remember watching several programs on the History Channel about the times and life of Jesus, and recall that they said that crucifixion, as a punishment long used by the Romans and other groups, was considered one of the most ignominious ways to die, with the person's agony and death, as well as alleged wrongdoing made a public spectacle for all to see. Someone crucified in that setting would surely be considered a "failure", and I think it's in this context that the Pope used the words in reference to Jesus' crucifixion.

It was only later, in the apostolic times of Christianity, with the doctrine of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross for mankind, and His resurrection from the dead, that the crucified Christ became the symbol of Christianity and its beliefs, and no longer just that symbol of ignominy.

Read that whole linked article, if you will. It will hopefully make the Pope's comments make more sense.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:37 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Don't forget he's also the one person on earth who has a direct line to the Almighty! Isn't there something in the bible about sins and false idols and/or false prophets?
I KNOW there is nothing in there about having to idolize the person who heads the Catholic Church (which is EXACTLY what is happening now) or did I miss that commandment somehow?
It is not about "idolizing" or "worshipping" a person, if you believe this is what is happening then you do not understand the religion.

From an official standpoint, in modern times, The Pope is highly respected on a international scale and is formally considered the Leader of the Catholic Church, The Bishop of Rome, and Head of State of Vatican City and The Holy See. In addition to these formal titles and duties/obligations that come with them, The Pope serves as a global humanitarian figure who promotes peace, love, spirituality, unity, and goodwill among ALL people, this includes all cultures, backgrounds, AND religions.. He Inspires people, inspires political leaders, helps the poor, helps those in need, celebrates the youth of our world, and serves the greater good in all that he does..

For Catholics, in addition to the above, The Pope is officially "The Shepherd" of the Church and The Successor to Peter (Biblical Belief in the Roman Catholic Religion) which leads to the belief that he hence is blessed by God and communicates with God (via deep prayer and deep internal reflection) at a very deep level to help him serve the world, better the world, better the church, and spread the good word, this certainly does NOT mean that he is God nor does he have the power of God.. He also has the holy power to heal if is intended so by God, but this also applies to any Bishop or Priest around the world, not just the Pope.. To be able to see The Pope, let alone, be blessed by The Pope, is considered an extreme honor and emotional experience for Catholics, he is the leader of our religion and can help bring us even closer to God and Jesus Christ..

Old 09-26-2015, 11:48 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
As one who was raised Catholic, but no longer considers myself such (I practice earth-based religion now) I am somewhat disturbed by the amount of coverage the Pope is getting in the media here in L.A. Almost every single news channel is covering his arrival, his stops, interviews of the people in audiences where he's been, everything he's saying, etc. Maybe if the Pope farts, they'll mention it too?

...does anyone else find the media's seemingly endless coverage of Pope Francis to be overkill, if not bordering on bizarre and creepy?

By most counts, this is still a Protestant-majority nation, with a strict wall of Church-State separation. We're not Italy, Ireland, Mexico or Brazil.

...Since when has the media ever been so "in love" with a Pope they way they seem to be in love with Francis? I can't think of one...?

Bizarre indeed.
Creepy was endless media coverage of the death of Anna Nicole Smith.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:49 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm quite sure the Pope goes by his own internal moral compass nothing he is "fed", which is why so many adore him.

I find it odd that people would be surprised a Jesuit Priest would speak out for the poor. Their entire philosophy of practice is based on service to the poor and being humble.

As for his views on the environment, what a concept, that we are actually supposed to be the stewards of the earth, its caretakers, and not just pillagers and plunderers..crazy leftists, what ARE they thinking?
Sure, and extortion of money for "carbon credits" will do wonders for fixing the ills of the planet...

Old 09-26-2015, 11:56 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Many people also find the Pope's comments bizarre. Industrialization and carbon emissions are leading to a warming planet, the only one mankind has to live on. Francis saying that climate change is a threat to us all is also found to be "bizarre" by many people. Francis asking for compassion for the poor, and mentioning the growing divide between rich and poor in the world, is also thought by many to be "bizarre".

These same people will attribute this to politics, and remain oblivious to the teachings Francis follows. The irony is most finding his comments "bizarre" will call themselves "Christian"

You want to know what's "bizarre"? The non-stop coverage of a non issue like Hillary Clinton's email server. Now that is genuinely bizarre.
I was watching FOX about an hour ago and even with the live Pope coverage they managed to squeak in a update about Hillary's E-Mails and the "potential" impact on the Elections. It just never stops over there even with the Pope in the US!

Old 09-26-2015, 12:02 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Really? Thanks so much, TigerLily! My Spanish is about on par with my Italian. The little I saw of the broadcast had too much background noise, as well as the English translator speaking over the Pope. I already know about the Pope's agenda, but even though I'm not Catholic, I don't care for the remarks about Jesus failing at the cross - IF indeed he said that.

Blessings,

Mahrie.

Edited to add: This wasn't the speech I heard, TigerLily. In the speech I heard the Pope talked about St. Joseph and how Jesus was homeless when He came into this world, and then he went on to talk about homelessness in America. The broadcast came from St. Patrick's Church, so I've no idea if he gave more than one address. I'm thinking that he must have....

Mahrie.
Ah. The reference to Saint Joseph comes from his homily at St. Patrick's in Washington, D.C. rather than the one given at St. Patrick's in NYC.

That transcript is here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/24/us...gton.html?_r=0

Old 09-26-2015, 12:02 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I find it utterly ridiculous all this coverage and fawning over this one old dude.

I used to be roman catholic but that was a looong time ago until I grew out of it.

Surely there are more important things in this world and in the U.S. to be paying attention to.
They could be giving Bernie Sanders more air time......

It has been a little too much.......the Pope only addressed talking points of President Obama and some how they thought ALL Americans wouldn't catch that!

Old 09-26-2015, 12:29 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
...does anyone else find the media's seemingly endless coverage of Pope Francis to be overkill, if not bordering on bizarre and creepy?
I don't know, since I don't have a TV, but from reading posts it seems he says what the Media wants to hear.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
I'm in my 30s, don't remember this much coverage with Benedict or even John Paul II?
I think there was definitely more media coverage with Pope John Paul II. He was fairly young at 58 when he became pope, so he probably became Pope before you were born. He was energetic and athletic at least in the beginning of his papacy. He had an incredible history with both the Nazis and Communists.

He was from a communist country, which was considered astounding, and the first to travel extensively.

John Paul II was succeeded by Benedict XVI who was much older at 78 when he became Pope. He didn't seem as outgoing, friendly or approachable as the two who preceded and succeeded him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events