Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 09:33 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Extra-biblical teaching. In other words, teachings of men. That's what I thought. I get my teaching straight out of the Bible. That's where Christianity and Catholicism are different.
That is the concise summary of overweening Protestant hubris …
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 09:34 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I just don't get Francis's appeal. He has no charisma whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying he is repulsive, but he has all the energy and ability to inspire of a piece of soggy bread at the bottom of a pickle bucket.
The man is 78 years old and suffers from sciatica, I think he is doing very well. The inspiration comes from his spoken words, and his humility. The man is super popular around the world, so he can't be nowhere near as bad as you say here. All the millions of people who turned out to see him here would say otherwise.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:36 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
All disciples (that includes me, or anyone who trusts Jesus as their Savior) are 'holy' but that just means 'sanctified' not without sin. No man is without sin (including the pope or a priest). And pope is never mentioned in the Bible. You're twisting scripture again in order to take it out of context and fit your traditions.

I already explained Matthew 16:17-19 to you in context. Go read it again. You're wrong.

You say it's in the Bible, but you take it completely out of context to fit your Catholic traditions. Therefore you're twisting the truth and you lack understanding of the Word of God.

This is where Christianity differs from Catholicism. We only accept the Bible (in context) not extra-biblical teachings or traditions like Catholicism. I'm not criticizing you for doing that, I'm just making the distinction. Good night.
Your sola Scriptura stance (above) is itself ironically not "Biblical" … (I know about this, being of the "Lutheran" reform movement, but gone Home to Rome) ...

Old 09-26-2015, 09:48 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I'm in my 30s, don't remember this much coverage with Benedict or even John Paul II?
You don't remember it. Think of how much more media savvy the world - the USA in this case - is at this time. We have live breaking news 24/7/365.
Bruce Jenner's idiot life WAS the headline of the century in the USA.
He had his 30 minutes of fame...

THE POPE IS IN TOWN!!!!!

It is only a big deal if one happens to be Catholic and believes all of the catechism. I was raised in a Catholic household and lived through years of Sunday school - I thank God there was no Catholic schools near for me to attend. I never fully grasped the Pope concept. Why is it Baptist, Jews, Hindus, Islam or others don't have the equivalent of a Pope?
I am more agnostic in my golden years yet my burning question still exists. Why do Catholics need a middle level manager in their religion? Why not appeal to the CEO?

Obama doesn't attend church on a regular basis if he does at all and he certainly isn't Catholic yet he would have kissed Papal ass if told to. The Hispanics would have expected it. His feigned robotic motions were good enough as is.
Frank told Boner to resign and he did. The truly Godless played up to Frank.
To make matters worse...people who really don't care go all the way nuts about the guy being here.

A great test of who was sincere or not would have been for him to hold mass[a huge public one] and see who would have taken communion.

Some atheists celebrate Christmas and Easter for the holiday aspect alone. America did the same with the Pope, especially in DC. They put on a good show for the world to see. The menagerie carried on to NYC and Philly. He should stick around long enough to catch an NFL game in person.

Cynical on purpose

Old 09-26-2015, 09:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I just don't get Francis's appeal. He has no charisma whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying he is repulsive, but he has all the energy and ability to inspire of a piece of soggy bread at the bottom of a pickle bucket.
I think the Pope is adorable and charming.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:47 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
intelligent people lean liberal because they realize xenophobia, racism, and homophobia is wrong, and they are given evidence of all the things the big government, evil corporations, and crazy right has done. did you pass sixth grade?
Liberals keep blacks on the victim plantation of self-pity and entitlement.... all for votes of course.

Has really worked well the past 50 years, hasn't it.

As for intelligence, liberals have a hard time understanding the term "illegal" when it comes to invading our borders. They also believe that illegal aliens improve the unemployment picture for native-born minorities. Talk about stupid.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
LOL …

His Holiness Pope Francis teaches, believes and confesses ("espouses") the Catholic Faith …

And, yes, there are times that "the Lefties" agree with US (The Church) ...
The pope talks to the Castro boys about global warming but says nothing about how they treat dissidents.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
intelligent people lean liberal because they realize xenophobia, racism, and homophobia is wrong, and they are given evidence of all the things the big government, evil corporations, and crazy right has done. did you pass sixth grade?
What I was saying about how the leftist professors brainwash the young moonbats while prohibiting the free flow of diverse ideas.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:39 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
he is the pope,,,

with all that's crazy in the world, this is one man who is given a real superhuman status...

for most of modern history the Pope is heralded as of great importance,,,,
and for right now I think it is wonderful,,,i don't go to church,,,but to see this one man stop , get out of a vehicle and bless a handicap kid,,,,and the mother is crying because the pope himself blessed her kid,,,,,brings tears to my eyes
I believe in the power of believe, prayer and faith ,,,and this man is the glorious symbol of all this

for all the left liberal non believers,,,, you know the angst you feel ,,,seeing this one man get such a welcome, and applause,,,,and their's just no way you can justify this??

this is how we conservatives feel,,,,,every time the media circles the wagons and protects high profile democrats like Obama , and Hillary
while impuning republicans

the mainstream media has the same hero worship for democrats

Old 09-27-2015, 05:45 AM

357 posts, read 37,855 times
I don't watch alot of tv news, but I would much rather see the Pope than all the stories about "The Kardashians" or "Caitlyn Jenner" talk about creepy. I am also sick of the "Black Lives Matter" bullsh!t!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events