Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 08:04 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,198,536 times

Advertisements

Man jailed for ticket dies in custody | News - Home

David Stojcevski, a 32-year-old man from Roseville, Michigan died in Macomb County Jail due to neglect by corrections officers regarding Stojcevski's withdrawal symptoms. Stojcevski was rehabbing from drug addiction using doctor prescribed Xanax, Methadone and Klonopin - all of which were withheld from him by the county jail. Stojcevski lost 50 pounds in 17 days. He suffered seizures and hallucinations. He was kept locked in a constant brightly lit room without windows. The only way Stojcevski got reprieve from the harsh fluorescent lighting was to crawl under a bed on cold, hard concrete floor. He became so weak at the end, he couldn't even call out for help. This cell was monitored by guards 24/7/365. He and his fellow cell mates were to be checked on 96 times per day. As you can see from the video that didn't happen. Stojcevski and his fellow cell mates were not allowed to wear clothing for the length of their stay "for their own protection."

Watch this video. Watch a man, who was in the midst of addiction and rehab, die on a cold, cement floor with other human beings watching it, failing to do anything about it. Watch him die over a traffic ticket. Watch him die when it was recommended, quite clearly and in black and white, for this man to be placed in the detox unit. Watch him die and ask yourself if this is how we want to treat our fellow human beings.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:21 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,188,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Man jailed for ticket dies in custody | News - Home

David Stojcevski, a 32-year-old man from Roseville, Michigan died in Macomb County Jail due to neglect by corrections officers regarding Stojcevski's withdrawal symptoms. Stojcevski was rehabbing from drug addiction using doctor prescribed Xanax, Methadone and Klonopin - all of which were withheld from him by the county jail. Stojcevski lost 50 pounds in 17 days. He suffered seizures and hallucinations. He was kept locked in a constant brightly lit room without windows. The only way Stojcevski got reprieve from the harsh fluorescent lighting was to crawl under a bed on cold, hard concrete floor. He became so weak at the end, he couldn't even call out for help. This cell was monitored by guards 24/7/365. He and his fellow cell mates were to be checked on 96 times per day. As you can see from the video that didn't happen. Stojcevski and his fellow cell mates were not allowed to wear clothing for the length of their stay "for their own protection."

Watch this video. Watch a man, who was in the midst of addiction and rehab, die on a cold, cement floor with other human beings watching it, failing to do anything about it. Watch him die over a traffic ticket. Watch him die when it was recommended, quite clearly and in black and white, for this man to be placed in the detox unit. Watch him die and ask yourself if this is how we want to treat our fellow human beings.
Driving without a license registration and insurance is public endangerment and repeated offenses should be punished letting people be beaten raped or die from injuries and medical neglect are all failure of the guards to do their job and also is criminal

Old 09-26-2015, 08:30 AM

19,577 posts, read 9,110,554 times
This is SO wrong, so sad, and so unforgivable, but the fact remains that if he had been a responsible adult, this would not have happened.

I feel much sorrier for nursing home patients who die from neglect or for children who die in wars or because of a drive-by shooting than I do for people like Mr. Stocjevski.

(But, to be clear, I am not excusing the guards or anyone who should have been responsible for seeing to his welfare. They failed to do their job, and they should be punished for it.)

Old 09-26-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
This is SO wrong, so sad, and so unforgivable, but the fact remains that if he had been a responsible adult, this would not have happened.

I feel much sorrier for nursing home patients who die from neglect or for children who die in wars or because of a drive-by shooting than I do for people like Mr. Stocjevski.

(But, to be clear, I am not excusing the guards or anyone who should have been responsible for seeing to his welfare. They failed to do their job, and they should be punished for it.)
Of course but remember, this was over an unpaid traffic ticket. I don't know about you but I've had traffic tickets in my day and one of them went unpaid for quite awhile. Was it right? Absolutely not. Jail worthy? I have to say no.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:44 AM

50,325 posts, read 35,962,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

I feel much sorrier for nursing home patients who die from neglect
or for children who die in wars or because of a drive-by shooting than I do for people like Mr. Stocjevski.

All of whom are fallible, flawed human beings, some nice and some not, some who made major mistakes in life and some who didn't, some who had addicitons and some who didn't...just like Mr. Stocjevski.

So if he had made it to old age and was made to die of neglect in a nursing home, you'd feel bad for him, but because the same guy didn't make it to nursing home age, you don't?

A traffic ticket, folks! Wake up.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
All of whom are fallible, flawed human beings, some nice and some not, some who made major mistakes in life and some who didn't, some who had addicitons and some who didn't...just like Mr. Stocjevski.

So if he had made it to old age and was made to die of neglect in a nursing home, you'd feel bad for him, but because the same guy didn't make it to nursing home age, you don't?

A traffic ticket, folks! Wake up.
Exactly my point.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:19 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,921,550 times
Maybe he should have paid the ticket, it was $775, what did he spend on dope that month?

Old 09-26-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Maybe he should have paid the ticket, it was $775, what did he spend on dope that month?
He should have paid the ticket.
He shouldn't have spent it on dope.

Neither of these facts mean he should have been denied prescribed medications, allowed to wallow in insanity naked on a concrete floor for weeks eventually dying.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:25 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,072,842 times
Cruel fate for stupid parking tickets especially. This was the equivalent of being walled in inside a dungeon in medieval times. Insane.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:32 AM

8,914 posts, read 11,698,324 times
Happens all the time, sadly.

What do you expect when the job is done by the bottom of barrel types who barely graduated from high school? Same with cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events