Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 05:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Oh, for heaven's sake. The story is so unpalatable to you, you just cannot accept it, can you????
And you cannot accept that a woman, who is trying to extend her 15 minutes of fame, exaggerated her "meeting" with the Pope. And it worked! There are hundreds of news stories about the few minutes she spent with the Pope.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:36 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
This is, obviously, the dumbest thing this Pope ever has done. It undermines everything he accomplished on his visit here. It undermines his pastoral message, and it diminishes his stature by involving him in a petty American political dispute. A secret meeting with this nut ball? That undermines any credibility he had accrued on the issue of openness and transparency.
The Pope doesn't always choose who he meets or even knows everyone before meeting them. It is likely that he was quickly briefed on Kim Davis right before meeting her. Considering she isn't even Catholic, I doubt she was on the Pope's list of people he had to meet with while in the US. As others have said, there are much more deserving people, and from what the Pope seems to care most about, it makes no sense that he would choose to meet with her. More then likely someone in Kentucky suggested it to the Vatican, as they probably asked Archdioceses across the US to "nominate" people who they think should meet the Pope.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:45 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
I find the whole thing quite odd and out of keeping with the Pope's message of love, tolerance and understanding. Just doesn't compute.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:19 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
"The Kim Show" has a longer shelf life than I imagined. Personally, I'm waiting for "Kim The Musical!". The signature number will of course be her meeting with the Pope, featuring John Slattery as her attorney, Ian McKellen as the Pope and the irrepressible Kathy Bates as Kim.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:24 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I find the whole thing quite odd and out of keeping with the Pope's message of love, tolerance and understanding. Just doesn't compute.
I agree completely with you. Something just smells fishy.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:30 PM

8,216 posts, read 3,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
He should stick to love thy neighbor and climate change. If he is indeed being supportive of Davis' position, and I sincerely hope he is not making that huge mistake for he will lose a lot of us, he is interfering with our country's judicial system. Which I guess he may be doing on a number of levels.

If someone religious does not want to conform to the dictates of a secular job, s/he should never have taken the job in the first place. The unfortunate part of all this is that she was elected, not appointed through due process. And as such she will not be gotten rid of.

Anyone know how long her elected term runs?
I was informed the other day that she was newly elected and sworn in January 2015. So her election won't be for few years.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:31 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm not sure I believe it. The Pope's rep didn't confirm or deny.
All you need is a Google search. Yes, the Vatican has confirmed it:
Quote:
Pope Francis met privately in Washington last week with Kim Davis,

Vatican officials initially would not confirm that the meeting occurred, finally doing so on Wednesday afternoon, while refusing to discuss any details.

On Tuesday night, her lawyer, Mathew D. Staver, said that Ms. Davis and her husband, Joe, were sneaked into the Vatican Embassy by car on Thursday afternoon. Francis gave her rosaries and told her to “stay strong,” the lawyer said.

The couple met for about 15 minutes with the pope, who was accompanied by security guards, aides and photographers.

The secretiveness of the meeting, and the Vatican’s refusal to give any information, will inevitably raise questions about why Francis chose to meet with Ms. Davis — and why he kept the meeting secret.

Mr. Staver said that he, the Davises and Vatican officials had agreed to not publicize the meeting until after the pope had left the United States because, he said, “we didn’t want the pope’s visit to be focused on Kim Davis.”

Mr. Staver said the idea for a meeting was first discussed on Sept. 14, more than a week before the pope’s arrival. He declined to say who proposed the meeting.

But “this was not a generic meeting in which Kim Davis happened to appear,” Mr. Staver said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us...ited-pope.html
Of course, there will still be naysayers who say Kim lied to her lawyer, and now the lawyer is lying, too - blah, blah, blah.

Whatever...

Old 09-30-2015, 06:41 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
This is, obviously, the dumbest thing this Pope ever has done. It undermines everything he accomplished on his visit here. It undermines his pastoral message, and it diminishes his stature by involving him in a petty American political dispute.A secret meeting with this nut ball? That undermines any credibility he had accrued on the issue of openness and transparency.
Indeed, what a shame. I thought his visit was a wonderful respite from the divisiveness in this country. I watched a lot of it. In particular, the procession and Mass in Philadelphia was magical.

And, now this.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:42 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The part where they as a state overwhelmingly voted to not allow that type of marriage but are now forced to have it through judicial legislation.
Then Kentucky must be really stupid to not realize they don't have the authority to dictate civil rights. Bet they threw a fit when the SCOTUS forced them to accept interracial marriage too.

Quote:
There are many who feel she is doing exactly what they elected her to do.
Right wingers don't know how our government works...Shocker.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:45 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My guess is he sees her as someone willing to follow her religious convictions even in the face of massive public ridicule, a trait revered by the Catholic religion. Like her or not, agree with her beliefs or not, think she is a hypocrite or born again, she has made people talk about whether or not you should follow the laws of man first or the laws of God, as you understand them. She has chosen the laws of God, as she understands them.
And the majority of Americans, including Christians say she's wrong. As does the Bible (Romans 13).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events