Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 03:00 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Beautiful rant that has nothing whatsoever with what I asked
As usual, when people like you have nothing to say to contribute to the thread they revert to the usual racism card.
May I ask you,instead, according to which sources that "4 trillion pounds" was found? How can someone attribute the wealth of Britain to slavery when it was Britain itself to stop it (while Africans keep on happily practising it to this day) in 1833 and at the same time ignoring the industrial revolution?
So, if Europeans (obviously all of them, we all know the terrible invasions Poles brought upon Africa) are so evil and cruel all the times, you won't mind renouncing to all the inventions that daily save the lives of millions people (explaining how African populace could quadruplicate in a century), refusing all the billions European countries spend in Africa all years and revert to your a non-European lifestyle?
He/she should do that only if you're willing to revert to a European lifestyle that has reverted back to its financial standing of the Middle Ages since the largest amount of wealth they've amassed since then was due to the forced labor from African slavery. Are you willing to go back to being a sheep herder on the meadows or living in a cave in some European country?

Old 10-03-2015, 11:14 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Nothing that is vital to European life in 2015. African contributed the blood, sweat, tears, and deaths of millions of its people which was forced labor to create the products of wealth for Europeans, without which they would not have become as wealthy and expansive as they did. Low IQ, too dark skin, no great research or inventions coming out of Africa still DOES NOT and DID NOT justify the horrific and inhumane treatment of slavery, period!

For any human with a conscience, there is no getting away from the fact that you should NOT mistreat/abuse others simply because they're different than you or you think yourself better than them. In fact, it's just the opposite, those who are better conduct themselves better and treat others more humanely than low-level humans: criminals, sociopaths, violently insane and those under the influence of the demonic. The fact that you're trying to justify what was done shows how low you're willing to sink in order to keep your ego propped up because you've base your sense of worth on your skin color, racial identity, and feelings of racial superiority. I feel for you on the day that house of cards comes completely down.
Woah you need to go back and re-read my posts. I never said Jamaicans or Africans or anyone else *deserved* to be enslaved, much less due to any kind of inferiority/superiority imbalance so you can save your ignorant misconceptions about me. You're literally confusing "reparations is not the answer" with "I condone slavery". Give me a friggin break, sunshine.

What I DID say/imply in my posts is that A., The English treated EVERYONE horribly-- half of Ireland was murdered, starved, enslaved, lands taken, etc for a thousand years! Any World History class should tell you they were brutal to literally everyone across the planet, so giving Jamaica reparations sets a slippery slope precedent. Also, why should Jamaica get reparations from England? Antigua literally just gained their independence about 30 years ago.

And B., my response to the poster who was quick to denounce the entire modern western civilization from which we ALL descend from was a perfectly reasonable question to his/her claims.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:43 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
I clearly understand that the modern system of gov and culture here in the west benefits Europeans and their descendents. I get it. But don't think for a second that those of us smart enough to read a history book will ever forget HOW the west amassed its wealth. I know I will be told to go back to Africa or speak my own language or go hug a tree. I just want to have this debate and point out that half the world was conquered and horrible things were done for WEALTH. Columbus wanted gold so he slaughtered the Caribs and Arrowoks. Europeans WON all the battles with indigenous peoples and took their lands and resources by FORCE. Does that make them superior? In western culture it does. If I come take your lands and crops by FORCE because you are not as warlike as I am does that make me superior to you? Are you inferior because I can overpower you on this day? Tomorrow you might win the fight. That's my point. The Kindom became Mega Rich from all its conquered lands. The Irish are still pissed off about that. Jamaica is a tropical paradise perfect for rum, sugar and other commodities... Give me a few islands with free labor, free women and servants and sugarcane , fruit and fish as far as the eye can see, and I will show you a fat bank account . Europe had its fun with India , china , west Indies, Africa, America, Canada and I'm sure I forgot someplace..... Pay up.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:59 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
He/she should do that only if you're willing to revert to a European lifestyle that has reverted back to its financial standing of the Middle Ages since the largest amount of wealth they've amassed since then was due to the forced labor from African slavery. Are you willing to go back to being a sheep herder on the meadows or living in a cave in some European country?
really?
Since when has Italy anything to do with the slave trade?
Or just because I am a white European I'm supposed to have enslaved someone?
What about, instead, the Enlightenment, the industrial revolution, the scientific approach and discoveries that made Europe the economic centre of the world?
Or perhaps you really believe, obviously without any credible source, that 300 years of slave trade by private citizens of few European countries (UK,France,Spain,Portugal and the Netherlands) have really enriched a continent of 500 million people?
Really?
How about then the Arabs who enslaved probably more Africans than Europeans and for longer?
How does it come that they aren't richer than Europeans on average?
Care to explain, then, if Europe (obviously Norway or Slovakia too) owes all its wealth to the labour of Black slaves (who worked in the Americas but that's obviously irrelevant) then why did Britain (the main profiteer) stop the slave trade 182 years ago?

Old 10-04-2015, 01:55 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How about simply acknowledging the legacy of the past and committing to provide some support going forward?
How about not?

Old 10-04-2015, 01:58 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Always sticking that hand out.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:29 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I clearly understand that the modern system of gov and culture here in the west benefits Europeans and their descendents. I get it. But don't think for a second that those of us smart enough to read a history book will ever forget HOW the west amassed its wealth. I know I will be told to go back to Africa or speak my own language or go hug a tree. I just want to have this debate and point out that half the world was conquered and horrible things were done for WEALTH. Columbus wanted gold so he slaughtered the Caribs and Arrowoks. Europeans WON all the battles with indigenous peoples and took their lands and resources by FORCE. Does that make them superior? In western culture it does. If I come take your lands and crops by FORCE because you are not as warlike as I am does that make me superior to you? Are you inferior because I can overpower you on this day? Tomorrow you might win the fight. That's my point. The Kindom became Mega Rich from all its conquered lands. The Irish are still pissed off about that. Jamaica is a tropical paradise perfect for rum, sugar and other commodities... Give me a few islands with free labor, free women and servants and sugarcane , fruit and fish as far as the eye can see, and I will show you a fat bank account . Europe had its fun with India , china , west Indies, Africa, America, Canada and I'm sure I forgot someplace..... Pay up.

You're holding ethnic groups and countries like they're static and don't change and blend over 300 years. There are more ethnicities is America and the UK now than there was 300 years ago. We are DIFFERENT people.

The CENTURIES in between the slave trade and now is enough time to get your sh*t together as a country if you're going to, ever. How big of an island is Jamaica? Really? Can't manage that?

Old 10-04-2015, 05:54 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Find me a living slave, then we can talk....
Not hard if you start your search in Africa. The slave trade is still thriving there to this day.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:26 PM

9,137 posts, read 5,799,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Not hard if you start your search in Africa. The slave trade is still thriving there to this day.
No one wants to address that.
There are more slaves today than ever before in history.
And they are a bargain. A slave in 1800s America
cost about as much as a new car; today they're
going for about the cost a carton of cigarettes.
*(above in today's dollars.)

Old 10-04-2015, 06:43 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
We've been in a global economy and a global world for decades now, and yet people still don't realize that everyone is human. It's sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events