Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 01:20 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

If it's a sit-down dinner, you have to give a final guaranteed count a couple of days in advance with the knowledge that you might have a couple of no-shows. I suspect this bride was the type who was using the wedding as a fundraiser, hoping cash gifts exceeded the cost of the event and she'd make a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 02:36 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I can't stress this enough to those with $$$ on the brain....the bride is not out any money for last minute cancellations. The only thing she looses is the company of those who couldn't make it. The dinner, etc was bought and paid for already, even if you show up and don't eat any food because you aren't hungry the bride is not out any money. You don't owe her anything.

This isn't hard math so I can only assume people aren't that bright.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:47 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I can't stress this enough to those with $$$ on the brain....the bride is not out any money for last minute cancellations. The only thing she looses is the company of those who couldn't make it. The dinner, etc was bought and paid for already, even if you show up and don't eat any food because you aren't hungry the bride is not out any money. You don't owe her anything.

Exactly. That's why I think there has to be something more to this whole story. The bride is probably in a personal snit more than anything, and I bet these two have a history of some sort.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:09 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Headcounts are set prior to the actual wedding date. Even if she would have called, it would be very unlikely there would have been any refund at that point.
Yes! I wouldn't have even called or texted because I would assume three things. 1) the bride is too busy to take phone calls 2) the news could stress her out 3) they wouldn't really even notice I was gone in the festivities.

I didn't even take rsvps for my wedding. It was smallish but I just estimated how many would be there. We had a brunch buffet and hubby and I ate left overs for a few days.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:12 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Here's the link:

Bride Sends $75 Bill to a Guest Who Had to Cancel on Her Wedding at the Last Minute

I am curious as to what others think about this. I think it's rude of the bride & groom to bill the no-show guest, but JUST as rude for the guest not to let them know she (and apparently a plus-one) couldn't go.

The last line says: "Jessica [the no-show] told the news organization she has no plans to pay [the bill]" ... but Jessica also didn't say why she didn't do something as simple as letting the bride and groom know that she couldn't be there. A simple email or phone call would have done the job. (Yes, I know it would have been on the couple's wedding day and they would have obviously been busy, but SOMEONE would have gotten the message.)

(Of course this is why if my SO and I get married it will be in my big, beautiful back yard with a few close friends and family members ... and any leftovers will go home with the guests! )
My thoughts are that the bride is unbelievably tacky.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:13 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

So … In theory … The bride could just as easily pay for a catered dinner for 10,000 (based on positive responses to the clear RSVP) … and only ten show up … and it's No Big Deal … ???

Okay ...

Old 10-03-2015, 05:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
So … In theory … The bride could just as easily pay for a catered dinner for 10,000 (based on positive responses to the clear RSVP) … and only ten show up … and it's No Big Deal … ???

Okay ...
If the bride invites and pays for 10,000 people and only 10 show up, she's got bigger problems.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:27 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If the bride invites and pays for 10,000 people and only 10 show up, she's got bigger problems.
Yes … The 9,990 people who said "Yes" to the banquet invitation but then decided not to attend after all … are JERKS … who should be billed for the dinner they decided not to attend (IMHO) ...

Old 10-03-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaPig View Post
Exactly. BOTH sides were wrong in some way.

My first wedding my mom commandeered pretty much the entire guest list leaving me and my groom about 20 invites between us. My groom insisted that he HAD to invite his classmates in law school for "connection" purposes. In the end, those classmates were no call, no shows and I was so STEAMED looking at those two empty tables during dinner knowing I had cut close friends I had had from elementary school onward in favor of these "connections" my ex had known for a few months. It wasn't the money, we could certainly pay for the no shows but the price I paid was losing quite a few friends over it.

With my second wedding, I actually had a guest call me the morning of to cancel. She felt awful but things happen and come up. It was a crazy day but I certainly appreciated that she had the courtesy to let me know.

I don't understand why one of the invited couple didn't go. The bill is for two dinners so they obviously RSVPed for two. If we were in the invited couple's position, one of us would have gone to the wedding and made apologies for the other not being there. I think that would have taken a lot of the sting out of it for the bride and groom.
IMO, you were steamed at the wrong people. You should have invited the friends you really wanted, even if you had to pay for them yourself.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Yes …
A fancy wedding banquet dinner is *FREE* to the guest, but is often very expensive for the bride ...

And completely optional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events