Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 09:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,066,696 times

Advertisements

The "wannabe amputee" has been around for a while. A New Way to Be Mad - The Atlantic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 12:47 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,463,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
And what should we call people like her, "transblind"? Seriously, these people are making a mockery out of transgender people.

It won't be long before people trying to convince themselves that they have cancer....
I believe people already do have that mental illness, people who believe one thing when it isn't happening. The worse illness is trying to make all these mental illnesses normal. The psychiatrist community have thrown up their hands, it seems. If they can't cure something then call it normal and to hell with it.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:54 AM

11,646 posts, read 12,885,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It is completely logical, as both involve people who feel they were born in the wrong body. Matter of fact, when explaining the phenomena, whether for lay people or in professional journals, experts always throw in the comparison of Body Integrity Identification Disorder to transgenderism. They are considered related by the medical community, BIID is just less common is all. It is completely illogical and disingenuous to out of hand dismiss the association of the two simply because one is currently more socially acceptable.

If one is a mental illness, they are both a mental illness. If one is not a mental illness, neither are a mental illness. Choose one or the other. To do otherwise is making a value judgement.
Yes, but they are NOT as bad as each other. Let's face it.

Intentionally making yourself blind or cutting off your limb is definitely far more deranged than changing your genital area. One is just demented and the other is more understandable (at least in comparison).

Just wondering, is homosexuality a mental illness to you too?

Old 10-04-2015, 08:54 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,751,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"Couple of different gene patterns I could have been a lesbian"
Could be a contributor, but sexual orientation is learned for the most part. Its not really innate. If you were born into a world with no other people why would you be attracted to the male vs. the female form? Society and marketing have more to do with it. Maybe homosexuality is the ultimate in self love, attracted to someone who resembles yourself.

This is a very thought provoking post but I have ask you if you remember the exact moment you decided to be a homosexual or a heterosexual? I realized as a female that I liked boys at a very young age and I don't believe it was learned. How does a homosexual learn to be gay? Homosexual males and females that raise children raise heterosexual children as well. If it was entirely a learned behavior then wouldn't all of these children be homosexual? What about hermaphrodites? What if one that is genetically born to be a male is transformed into a female back in the day when genetic testing wasn't available to determine the true gender of a deformed baby? Are they mentally ill for wanting reassignment surgery to correct a terrible mistake made when they hadn't a choice?

Intersex Children Pose Ethical Dilemma When Doctors and Parents Want Genital Surgery - ABC News

Old 10-04-2015, 11:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 21,854,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
This is a very thought provoking post but I have ask you if you remember the exact moment you decided to be a homosexual or a heterosexual? I realized as a female that I liked boys at a very young age and I don't believe it was learned. How does a homosexual learn to be gay? Homosexual males and females that raise children raise heterosexual children as well. If it was entirely a learned behavior then wouldn't all of these children be homosexual? What about hermaphrodites? What if one that is genetically born to be a male is transformed into a female back in the day when genetic testing wasn't available to determine the true gender of a deformed baby? Are they mentally ill for wanting reassignment surgery to correct a terrible mistake made when they hadn't a choice?

Intersex Children Pose Ethical Dilemma When Doctors and Parents Want Genital Surgery - ABC News
Obviously a combination of both, societal and innate. The whole Gays or Heteros are "born that way" absolute never fit all situations. The denial of social contributions to a persons sexuality has been brushed under the carpet for years as if it is less real or scientific.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:51 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,682,435 times
I'm a transgendered woman, I just got my associates, have a job, and recently bought a new car, I don't consider myself disabled in the least. Call it what you want I pay my taxes.
Of course most everybody should have been born rich but there is no surgery for that.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:55 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,342,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Psychologist blinds woman with drain cleaner - because she wanted to be disabled - Mirror Online

Short version is that this woman felt more comfortable as a blind person than as a sighted individual. So she took steps to put her body in alignment with her thoughts about how she should be.

I'm curious as to what the people who think that transgender isn't a mental disorder think about this. In my opinion, it would be hypocritical to criticize this woman for this if one thinks that there is nothing abnormal about transgenderism sex reassignment.
For starters, the so-called psychologist should lose his or her license.
Second, SRS does not cause a person to become 'disabled.'

Old 10-04-2015, 07:25 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,463,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The "wannabe amputee" has been around for a while. A New Way to Be Mad - The Atlantic
Scariest thing about this article is the therapists suffer from the same illnesses. It's the blind leading the blind. No wonder this poor woman found a therapist to blind her, he agrees to what she is doing.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:35 PM

20,109 posts, read 16,081,383 times
Quote:
Yes, but they are NOT as bad as each other. Let's face it.

Intentionally making yourself blind or cutting off your limb is definitely far more deranged than changing your genital area. One is just demented and the other is more understandable (at least in comparison).
No, one is just more socially acceptable in our culture than the other. I suspect there are cultures where the social acceptance of the two would go the opposite way. Regardless, feeling your body is not correct for your soul is bound to create problems for the person experiencing it, the debate is how to best address the disconnect.

Quote:
Just wondering, is homosexuality a mental illness to you too?
That is not the topic of this thread.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:27 PM

22,626 posts, read 24,477,017 times
Insane and sad.

You can go on Youtube and see videos of people who have cut of various body-parts due to this disorder.....very troubling behaviour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events