Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 03:43 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Actually, this, like so many shootings, happened in a "gun free zone." No one else had a gun until the police arrived. That's quite a bit different than your characterization that everyone had a gun.

Why is it that you don't typically see mass shootings at gun show, gun stores, and shooting competitions?

Oh boy, now you done done it! Heads will explode....

Old 10-01-2015, 03:43 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I agree with this as well. I've always believed we need anger management in our schools. It would not only prevent mass murders, but domestic violence, child abuse, etc.
DV isn't always about anger. Many abusers use it to dominate another person and are quite calm and methodical about it.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:44 PM

572 posts, read 552,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
This preoccupation with the chance of a terrible tyrannical government is largely a nonsense. In order to fend of such a government - each citizen would need a tank and anti-aircraft weaponry. The people in Iraq had a high percentage of guns - didn't make much difference there. Why is it that other free rich democratic countries don't sweat it about this pending tyrannical government? - they also don't have the ridiculous prospect of these sad ongoing incidents. Re the 'true cause' - it's the presence of guns - combined with a culture that tends to be immature - one could argue that that love of guns at any cost is part of that same immaturity.
it is not the presence of guns that causes these attrocities - it is the mental state of the assailants.

we need to do a better job of instilling positive values and societal mores in our youth.
we need to do a better job of teaching our youth how to handle life when it is not going how you want
we need to do a better job of recognizing folks vunerable to lashing out in this sort of way

Old 10-01-2015, 03:45 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Look at Australia. It can be done. Look at NYC, it can be done. Stop saying more guns are the cure, they obviously aren't. Murder will happen, but mass murders are on us.

I am so very tired of those clinging to the 2nd amendment as justification. I absolutely believe that the Founding Fathers would have stopped this insanity had they realized that their words would still be considered absolute 250 years later, when NONE of the parameters apply.
LOL..Evertime someone proclaims their 2nd Amendment rights..I want to ask just "Which Militia Group" they belong to..as that is the ORIGINAL 2nd Amendment as written by the founding fathers....Somehow has been morphed into individual rights???? Oh well..

The whole world knows that this "American Gun Culture" is the best place to go to purchase a gun..no problem..access your self to those "straw-purchasers"..and any GROUP could buy/equip and amass enough artillery to take out whomever they want to...

Old 10-01-2015, 03:48 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
If the Sandy Hook massacre didn't move America, this minor incident in Oregon won't, either …

It's just more of the same … But, again … Thanks, NRA … !!

*shrug*
You keep blaming the NRA. What did the NRA do to cause this?

Old 10-01-2015, 03:49 PM

11,776 posts, read 5,789,903 times
My prayers are with the families of those injured or killed - but we've seen similar tragedies in subways, movie theaters and shopping malls. No one is 100% safe no matter where you are. This is a no firearm campus and yet there is no security to stop someone from bringing a gun on campus. Take away his gun and he'll bring a bomb in a backpack. A crazy person knows no bounds and will find a way legal or illegal to reach his goal.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:51 PM

11,776 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Look at Australia. It can be done. Look at NYC, it can be done. Stop saying more guns are the cure, they obviously aren't. Murder will happen, but mass murders are on us.

I am so very tired of those clinging to the 2nd amendment as justification. I absolutely believe that the Founding Fathers would have stopped this insanity had they realized that their words would still be considered absolute 250 years later, when NONE of the parameters apply.

Please show me where NY City demonstrates what you're saying - per the article - murders are up 9%

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/01/us...us-cities.html

Old 10-01-2015, 03:52 PM

572 posts, read 552,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
LOL..Evertime someone proclaims their 2nd Amendment rights..I want to ask just "Which Militia Group" they belong to..as that is the ORIGINAL 2nd Amendment as written by the founding fathers....Somehow has been morphed into individual rights???? Oh well..

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

sentence structure and punctuation make all the difference in the world.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:52 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
What "common sense gun law" would have prevented this? Be specific. . .

You'll notice that question gets asked constantly and never answered.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:54 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
So very sad. I'm sending prayers to the families. WTF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events