Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 04:06 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times

Advertisements

The request for type "O Blood Donors " are needed in Roseburg. It sounds like people are getting tired. It should be "O - " aka "O Negative Blood" as O - is the universal donor blood type. It does make a difference for the recipient.

I'd encourage anyone in the west who can donate blood to go donate. Even if you are A, B, AB or positive on any of those types, if your blood bank can add extra units of blood, they may be able to release O- blood for Roseburg and Eugene.

Three female patients have all been moved to a Trauma II hospital in the Eugene, OR area. Medford may have gotten one less seriously injured patient.

This is the update from the Eugene, OR newspaper. Eugene is the home of the U. of Oregon (The Ducks).

It's chilling to hear/read that the 20 yr. old shooter reportedly asked victims to state their religions.

13 reported dead, 20 injured in shooting at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg; male gunman dead | Local | Eugene, Oregon

If you are in a neighboring state, please seriously consider donating blood, if you can. It's needed!

MSR

Old 10-01-2015, 04:07 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Look at Australia. It can be done. Look at NYC, it can be done. Stop saying more guns is the cure, it obviously isn't. Murder will happen, but mass murders are on us.

I am so very tired of those clinging to the 2nd amendment as justification. I absolutely believe that the Founding Fathers would have stopped this insanity had they realized that their words would still be considered absolute 250 years later, when NONE of the parameters apply.
That pesky little amendment! Citizens vs Subjects, that's the difference!

Old 10-01-2015, 04:11 PM

572 posts, read 552,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Look at Australia. It can be done. Look at NYC, it can be done. Stop saying more guns is the cure, it obviously isn't. Murder will happen, but mass murders are on us.

I am so very tired of those clinging to the 2nd amendment as justification. I absolutely believe that the Founding Fathers would have stopped this insanity had they realized that their words would still be considered absolute 250 years later, when NONE of the parameters apply.

//www.city-data.com/forum/41406837-post204.html

double posted post, FYI

have you looked into the AUS crime rate since the "buyback" (that was mandatory) or this year's NYC gun related murder count? Do you support Tyrannical govt. policy?

Do you believe that citizens of the US should not have the means of self preservation?

Old 10-01-2015, 04:13 PM

10,738 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
What does that even mean?

Think of it this way (focusing on the spoon analogy). The Aurora theater shooting. Guy busts into the theater and mows half the place down. Lots of random innocent people die. Replace gun with spoon. Guy busts into a theater and half the theater instantly becomes fat. It doesn't work that way. I hate hearing that analogy about the spoon because it is a horrible analogy. I can get a gun and go take a life. I cannot get a spoon and make someone fat.
It's a perfect analogy. Since you don't get it, I'll try to help.

Blaming a gun (an inanimate object) when someone uses it improperly (by shooting innocents) is analogous to blaming a spoon (an inanimate object) when someone uses it improperly (to consume too much food, resulting in obesity).

I don't believe that anyone is suggesting that spoons are killing people, but that clearly isn't the point of the analogy. Instead, the point is that the end result (innocent dead or obesity) is the result of the behavior of the person, rather than the fault of the inanimate object.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-01-2015, 04:14 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
That pesky little amendment! Citizens vs Subjects, that's the difference!
Citizens who live more fearfully than people in most other developed countries - in no other Western country do you hear people talking about say, a school being in a safe area, to the same extent. In the US - in many ways one of the most regulated of countries, ready access to guns is not much of a measure of freedom.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Does the Second Amendment say, "well-regulated militia" … ??? … or not … ???
Sure it does.

Why don't you tell us what that means, in the context of the language of the day. Perhaps you could include the writings of the founders on the subject of guns and bearing arms that would support your position.

I'll wait while you do your research. . .

Old 10-01-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Most people really have no need for it. I don't forsee any civil war breaking out in the U.S. but I do forsee this won't be the last mass murder to happen when some nut gets the itch.
It's a good thing that our rights, guaranteed by the Constitution, aren't subject to what you are or aren't able to foresee.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:17 PM

572 posts, read 552,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Citizens who live more fearfully than people in most other developed countries - in no other Western country do you hear people talking about say, a school being in a safe area, to the same extent. In the US - in many ways one of the most regulated of countries, ready access to guns is not much of a measure of freedom.
please explain? I'm unclear fo your point.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:18 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
College campuses in Oregon are not "gun-free zones". So where were the good guys with guns that everyone keeps saying will keep us all safe from the bad guys with guns?

Old 10-01-2015, 04:20 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd
What "common sense gun law" would have prevented this? Be specific. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You'll notice that question gets asked constantly and never answered.
Of course not, that mean's people would have to use that one brain cell they say they have....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events