Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 01:02 PM

320 posts, read 351,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
So much for situational awareness or even the ability to give reliable eyewitness accounts. If you look at the video again, the first person attacked was the teacher (so much for arming teachers). You are also basing your opinion on editing, sense the object was to record the response of the person with the gun, the editing concentrates on them. As for the shooter knowing how to shoot, unless you are insinuating that the test was rigged, your insinuation is baseless.
I don't think he was insinuating that the test was rigged, if I may judge his response. I believe he means to say, as do I, that the test was FLAWED. Again the 1st gun carrying student was extremely unfamiliar with real guns. Also, the camera angle was changed at the moment the shooter went from the teacher (1) to the kid carrying a gun (2). At that time another student is trying to run and hide who is nearly a yard, in fact walks right in front of the shooter and doesn't APPEAR to get shot. I would justify that because of the camera change and the fact that the shooter knew the kid had a gun.
At the same time you say the test being rigged is baseless, it can be argued that the test NOT being rigged is just as baseless if not a bit more. I do take your point into consideration though. Thank you.

I hope others chime in as well because I would rather this discussion NOT be re-focused on a video test that appears to present concealed carry holders as dreamers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 02:17 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,854,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway365 View Post
"Handling a gun in a holster can be tricky if you don't stay in practice." Sure it makes sense. As with anything, practice makes perfect. But I wouldn't go as far as saying that concealed carry permit holders "live in a dream world." In this experiment, the first kid being tested had very little experience with a real gun as they stated. Also, as they stated, even seasoned police officers often have difficulty drawing and reacting as they are expected to. No one, no one person is ready at all times for something like this and it's humanly impossible to react "perfectly." In addition, I would like to add that his instructor was aware he was the only one carrying a gun, he's sitting there fidgeting like he clearly has something tucked, and airsoft/paintball/video games do not compare with a real loaded weapon or situation where you only have one life or one chance to stop someone.

I'm not saying any and every student should just get a gun and carry it because it would be pointless if they have no idea how to react WITH one and use it effectively. I'm just saying that those who are AWARE and familiar/comfortable with one, should have the option to have the ability to control their safety and those around them if they so choose.
The average police respond time is 10 minutes according to American Police Beat. When a situation like this goes down, seconds seem like hours. Not every concealed carry permit holder practices. But again, practice makes perfect and gets you more prepared for a real life situation.
No one is ever prepared for this. Think about how many soldiers actually fire their weapons. They practice, train, practice, train, and train some more. It BETTER prepares them for what MIGHT come. In the end, they do what they have to do to survive. And that is human instinct.

Has it come to this? Would this be effective or ineffective? Why or why not?
-I feel much better, as well as a lot of my classmates have stated, knowing that I am in control of my own safety or the safety of my friends during those 10 long minutes.

Thanks for your point of view it really does mean something!

How prepared is a shooter when he decides to open fire on a group of "unarmed" people? That person's heart rate is through the roof, his hands are shaking and the only comfort he has is knowing he is most likely the only one in the room armed. Hopefully we can have a few cases of "a chick in the back row with a .40 is about to put him down with one shot".

Old 10-03-2015, 02:43 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,920,376 times
Drunk frat boys with guns, yeah thats going to end well.......

Old 10-03-2015, 02:46 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,413,682 times
And what is to prevent someone who has a concealed carry license to kill people? What would be the actual difference between someone sneaking a gun into a school to kill people and someone with license to carry a concealed weapon using it to kill people?

Old 10-03-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Drunk frat boys with guns, yeah thats going to end well.......
That was pretty ignorant. I don't understand the need to classify respectable college students as "frat boys," especially considering girls are part of the big picture as well. One sided thinking gets us no where.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
And what is to prevent someone who has a concealed carry license to kill people? What would be the actual difference between someone sneaking a gun into a school to kill people and someone with license to carry a concealed weapon using it to kill people?

Post a link about a CCW person doing so.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway365 View Post
That was pretty ignorant. I don't understand the need to classify respectable college students as "frat boys," especially considering girls are part of the big picture as well. One sided thinking gets us no where.

^^^^

The frat boy post made no sense whatsoever.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:09 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,429,197 times
There is no solution. Unless there's someone in the room/area with another gun this person can't be neutralized. Politicians will try to sell more laws/restrictions to the herd but it does little to nothing in my view. In reality this won't work because hook or crook people will get what they need to cause harm to others via the black market. Of course don't make it easier but I always use the example of strict laws/prison sentences on illegal drugs and how they are banned nationwide. How's that working for us? Or prohibition. Banning anything at a national level that has a large demand will be met via underground supply. This is reality.

And nuts exist and will always exist. The odds greatly favor any one of us not being in such a situation. And if people out there really want something to worry about? Let's put it in perspective. How about getting in one's car and the 1 in 3 chance of getting in a serious car accident over one's lifetime? Do any of you worry about the person driving at you 62mph in the other lane 5 ft from your car who could be wasted out of their mind, sleepy, etc. and is one slight turn away from wiping out/seriously injuring/killing one's family? How about we worry about getting cancer? The number 2 killer in the US. Or getting a heart attack and dropping dead, the number 1 killer in the nation. Both caused largely from the crap people are eating/their lifestyle yet people don't blink at this/doesn't seem to worry them even though the majority of heart attacks are the first and the last....down and out in a minute. No symptoms. Gone. And today it's not an "old" thing.....it's people who's bad habits catch up to them.

Sudden Cardiac Death, Cardiac Arrest, and Heart Disease

Old 10-03-2015, 03:27 PM

15,472 posts, read 10,394,050 times
Since one of the little idiot shooters could possibly go out and get their own CHL (unlikely, but still) I'd like to see a few more layers of caution at universities. To help prevent the weapon from being snatched, the gun must be concealed on the holder's body at all times (no briefcases, backpacks or purses). In case the gun was ever grabbed, the weapon must have a good 3-Digit combination trigger lock. Now, that's not going to help you much if you are the creep's first victim. I think it's a wise thing to do though, taking into consideration all the what if's. Now, it will help you greatly if the creep is in the next room, walking the halls or you manage to dive under a desk. For me, the feeling of helplessness would be almost as bad as getting shot. So, good luck. Oh, another thing, a couple of references verifying the holder is a responsible citizen might not be a bad idea either.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Compare the mass shootings that were gun free zones with the shootings where guns on the property are illegal. The difference between school and everywhere else? Most schools are gun free zones and everyone knows that; which is what makes them a target for violence when someone wants to go down and take others with them.
C-O-N-C-E-A-L-E-D = Kept secret, hidden.

These shooters aren't exactly showing up armed to the teeth with CONCEALED weapons. They are making it clear that they are there to end lives. I don't think you have any idea whatsoever how many people you walk by everyday that carry a concealed weapon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events