Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 04:27 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Dont have them/Never heard of them
REI is awesome. Have gotten nothing but consistently terrific customer service there, very good selection too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 05:05 AM

35,688 posts, read 21,045,148 times
what is REI?

Old 10-27-2015, 05:52 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,643 times
Cool.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:57 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
REI is a store like LL Bean, they sell camping things, clothes, backpacks, canoes, ski clothes, etc.

Good for them, and I am happy for their workers and their families. I wish the trend to open on Thanksgiving would die down (whoever said it was due to multiculturalism is wrong, it's corporate greed, period) too. We used to have fun pouring over circulars after T-Day dinner and making Christmas lists, now my niece scrambles though dinner so she can go shopping.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:26 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,412,847 times
Since when was black friday a holiday? Not working thanksgiving night does make sense. Not working on just a Friday does not make sense.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:34 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,457,468 times
I like the move. I have problems with retailers that open on Thanksgiving. I don't think any place should open before 8 am on Black Friday.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:39 AM

620 posts, read 638,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Since when was black friday a holiday? Not working thanksgiving night does make sense. Not working on just a Friday does not make sense.
This is what I don't understand. Why are companies being pressured to close on Friday? It's not a holiday.

I get the pressure for Thanksgiving ... I don't agree with it, but I get it. IMO, there are plenty of people who need or want to work on Thanksgiving.

Last edited by yandex; 10-27-2015 at 07:49 AM..

Old 10-27-2015, 06:59 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
This is what I don't understand. Why are companies being pressured to close on Friday? It's not a holiday.

Iget the pressure for Thanksgiving ... I don't agree with it, but I get it. IMO, there are plenty of people who need or want to work on Thanksgiving.
They aren't being pressured to close on Black Friday, but making a statement to those companies who have employees coming in on Thanksgiving Day to work ridiculous overnight hours. The premise that the practice of doing so increases overall 4th Quarter revenue isn't valid given numbers shown thus far and is simply a way to appease shareholders into believing company leadership is "doing something". If the economy continues as it has with fewer that are unemployed the practice of these crazy hours will eventually cease as those looking for seasonal work are going to avoid employers who participate in it like the plague. Already where I live big box stores like Target and WalMart are having a hard time securing sufficient staffing, probably due to ridiculously long holiday store hours....among other things.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:04 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,412,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
They aren't being pressured to close on Black Friday, but making a statement to those companies who have employees coming in on Thanksgiving Day to work ridiculous overnight hours. The premise that the practice of doing so increases overall 4th Quarter revenue isn't valid given numbers shown thus far and is simply a way to appease shareholders into believing company leadership is "doing something". If the economy continues as it has with fewer that are unemployed the practice of these crazy hours will eventually cease as those looking for seasonal work are going to avoid employers who participate in it like the plague. Already where I live big box stores like Target and WalMart are having a hard time securing sufficient staffing, probably due to ridiculously long holiday store hours....among other things.
Night work is a reality of a huge amount of industries not just retail. This is the one time a year retail personnel can actually make some money. Sure I can understand resistance to being open Thanksgiving night but that does not mean shelves dont need to be stocked etc in preparation for a huge volume day by limited staffers. Considering the volume on black friday vs normal friday I am not convinced they are just 'doing something' these sales drive foot traffic in store and drive volume. Nor are the stores. Why go through the effort (and major costs) for no results?

Old 10-27-2015, 07:07 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Great move. Sick of stores opening earlier and earlier, and people falling for it. I know we're a capitalist society, but geez. Few years ago it was 4am, then jumped to 1 am, then midnight, and now its as early as 3pm Thanksgiving day.

I wish someone could either regulate this, or people would have sense to sit and enjoy time with family, rather than fight traffic and stand in line at the big box for a tv.
No one is forcing you to participate...unless you work for someone who is trying to strong-arm you into on the holiday.

I stay far, far away from stores on 'Black Friday', there is nothing I want badly enough to participate in that freakshow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Stores around here started putting up Christmas trees in late September.
Yeah, takes the fun out of it. By the time the holiday actually rolls around, I'm tired of it and just want it to go away. They should wait until after T-day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
what is REI?
Recreational Equipment Incorporated- sports, camping gear, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events