Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:32 AM

983 posts, read 994,986 times

Advertisements

Aside from just being an outdoor retailer, part of REI's culture is stewdardship and encouraging people to get out and enjoy our forests, river, and mountains. They are closing on Black Friday in order to get their employees outside, and anyone else who wants to join them. REI members are probably more interested in getting outdoors on a long holiday weekend rather than trampling over someone to get a cheap TV.

Me, as a member of REI for over 25 years, I'm going hiking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 09:38 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,300 times
This has little to do with employees or some quasi holiday, it has to do with PR and getting media attention.

It ia a gimmick, just like Black Friday soon to beome Black Friday matters as more stores try this gimmick.

This is business. If you are closed when customers want to buy, so be it, that is a choice.

Face it, REI goes after granola sandal wearers who look for the latest in bamboo underwear. They can buy that anytime they want.

What does REI sell that you cant simply buy any other day at sale prices? Absolutely nothing, they charge a lot more for the same stuff.

Anything you can buy from REI you can buy online from places like Amazon. This is REI capitulating to online retailers just like many other stores will do.

Is REI going to close its online store? No? Then do the employees working in their IT department and shipping departments get the day off too? Thought so.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:38 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
Aside from just being an outdoor retailer, part of REI's culture is stewdardship and encouraging people to get out and enjoy our forests, river, and mountains. They are closing on Black Friday in order to get their employees outside, and anyone else who wants to join them. REI members are probably more interested in getting outdoors on a long holiday weekend rather than trampling over someone to get a cheap TV.

Me, as a member of REI for over 25 years, I'm going hiking!
Best answer yet. As a typical retail store, closing on BF doesn't make sense. Explaining the culture of this store is helpful for those of us who are unfamiliar with REI. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2015, 09:39 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,300 times
What about the employees who manage and work in the IT depts that manage their online store? What about those in shipping?

They will all be working on Black Friday. A gimmick.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:39 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Dont have them/Never heard of them
Same here. I will, though, add "Don't need them!" We have Scheels, Cabela's, and Big Bear, as well as a huge sporting/outdoor section in all three Big R Stores.
I seldom leave the house on "Black Friday". I detest mobs.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:43 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
What about the employees who manage and work in the IT depts that manage their online store? What about those in shipping?

They will all be working on Black Friday. A gimmick.
Nope, actually they won't.

People can order online on BF, but orders won't be processed until the next day.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:46 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
The IT workers would be working anyway. IT operations run 24x7x365.25 So regardless if its black Friday, Super Tuesday, Christmas ... IT Ops is manned.

Fulfillment (Picking packing and Shipping) Most of that will start happening on Sunday night , for outbound carrier pickup on Monday.

(Does REI even do there web presence? or is it hosted by someone else? does it do its own fulfillment? )

Old 10-27-2015, 09:49 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
Many retailers lose money on Black Friday (profit). I am sure that REI analyzed shopping trends in their stores on that day and compared the profit vs cost of staying open. If it was a big profit day for them they would have stayed open. I am guessing they are trying to shift purchases to another day and not offer deep discounts on that day. It is a calculated effort.

By the way, Black Friday isn't a great hiking day by me. Also, no way I can get my wife out on the trails on that day...she would rather shop. I do my REI shopping online, anyway.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:49 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Bingo. Shoppers only care about themselves. You are inconveniencing them by not being open.

I don't think they care about the goodwill of REI when the people out on Black Friday have been known to trample others to get the "toy of the year"
The toy of the year won't be found at REI, so why queue up? I don't know anyone who buys multiple gifts to get all of their shopping done in one day.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:50 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
(Does REI even do there web presence? or is it hosted by someone else? does it do its own fulfillment? )
All I heard on the local Seattle news this morning is that those in shipping will also have BF off. Evidently, they have their own employees who do fulfillment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events