Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:16 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
For some benefits they did contribute towards such as a seniors pension. If they paid into it for 25 years prior to moving away is that all lost money for them. In the 70s I knew a man who got a military pension but lived in Canada, does he not deserve that. One of the reasons that a person may wish to keep both citizenships is for when visiting the States he is not a forigner in the country of his birth. If I moved down to the States I would want to keep my Canadian citiizenship even if I had no intention of moving back simply because I currently have it and am proud to be a Canadian but if I had to pay income tax to both countries I might have to reconsider.

Reading the tone and the words from some of the posts some of the posters think very low of people who would want to give up their American citizenship and even yours in saying do not insult every other US citizen, what is that to mean other than being a US citizenship is so much better than any other country and no one should think about becoming a citizen of any other country? When an American becomes a Canadian citizen they have the same rights as any other Canadian. The only benefit I can see them wanting from your country are the ones that they did contribute towards. If I am not mistaken I would be eligible to certain amounts of Canadian pensions due to the fact that I have contriubted towards them. You are sort of saying that not only are they not entiltied to any of those pensions but they are greedy if they do want some of that back.

To pay income tax to the US government without recieving a single benefit from it sounds like not having the best of all worlds. What benefits would a American living in CAnada and becoming a Canadian get from your government that you worry about? Not health care or education nor any more rights to use the roads than any other tourist.
Sorry, if you walk away from an investment that requires a term of participation too freaking bad, you're out.

This isn't some little savings account that you get to withdraw from and take your contribution with you.

The participation as a citizen comes with a condition, your country first. If you decide you want a new country, go, no one is stopping you but think twice before you believe you shluld be able to take out what you promised to put in for the shared benefit of all citizens.

Go tell your new country to make you whole, they should be more than happy to set you up nicely, bwcause that is what the USA does for all its people who become or are citizens.

Go take your free wanting self to Ireland, some country in Europe, Asia or Africa and make them give you the benefits you think you deserve. Tell everyone your exit date, the party starts the day after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 04:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Really don't understand why we can't all get along or agree to disagree?

Some comments sound about equivalent to a boyfriend/girlfriend breakup...

Old 10-29-2015, 04:47 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah but you have skilled, educated and having money leave the country while they are replaced with 100X unskilled, uneducated third world people.
Asians with education (and often wealth) make up a lot more of recent immigrant wave than you realize.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:55 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Once you get past the glitz and glam of big sexy cities like NYC, LA, Seattle, Etc and travel you quickly realize large parts of America is one giant S***hole. Full of poverty, crime, Unemployment, despair and desperation that we see in 3rd world countries
Can you give an example?

Like say Omaha Nebraska is similar to Harare Zimbabwe? Maybe Tuscon AZ is similar to Kabul Afghanistan?

Is that what you mean?

Old 10-29-2015, 04:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Sorry, if you walk away from an investment that requires a term of participation too freaking bad, you're out.

This isn't some little savings account that you get to withdraw from and take your contribution with you.

The participation as a citizen comes with a condition, your country first. If you decide you want a new country, go, no one is stopping you but think twice before you believe you shluld be able to take out what you promised to put in for the shared benefit of all citizens.

Go tell your new country to make you whole, they should be more than happy to set you up nicely, bwcause that is what the USA does for all its people who become or are citizens.

Go take your free wanting self to Ireland, some country in Europe, Asia or Africa and make them give you the benefits you think you deserve. Tell everyone your exit date, the party starts the day after.
You don't lose your social security.
You do lose your medicare but private insurance in some countries is cheaper than the medicare premiums believe it or not.

The discussion would be so much better if people actually knew what they were talking about instead of giving their opinions of how they think the system works.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The double taxation issue is an overblown one is most cases. Most people who being it up haven't lived abroad or looked into it much. You can in most cases tax a foreign tax credit equal to the income tax you paid in another country and apply it to your US filing.
The full FACTA changes only took effect last year.
And it has more to do with loss of access to banks and other financial institutions than paying taxes or filing forms.

Do you fully understand the changes that went into effect last year ?

Old 10-29-2015, 05:11 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,837 times
Quote:
You don't lose your social security.
You do lose your medicare but private insurance in some countries is cheaper than the medicare premiums believe it or not.

The discussion would be so much better if people actually knew what they were talking about instead of giving their opinions of how they think the system works.
Read. You get what you get when you give your citizenship. Everything else stays.

Simple. Now understand? Go already, best of luck to you.

If you don't like the place, leave it already, all 13,000 plus and whomever else wants to go.

Get it? No one is asking anyone to stay. Go find another dinner bell, hope you like the food and service.

Like kids who want to run away hoping their parents stop them. Sorry, see ya.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Read. You get what you get when you give your citizenship. Everything else stays.

Simple. Now understand? Go already, best of luck to you.

If you don't like the place, leave it already, all 13,000 plus and whomever else wants to go.

Get it? No one is asking anyone to stay. Go find another dinner bell, hope you like the food and service.

Like kids who want to run away hoping their parents stop them. Sorry, see ya.
LOL..there are already laws on the books about what you get.
Your wishful thinking is not the law.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:13 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
The full FACTA changes only took effect last year.
And it has more to do with loss of access to banks and other financial institutions than paying taxes or filing forms.

Do you fully understand the changes that went into effect last year ?

My post had nothing to do with facta so I'm really not sure why you've quoted me to ask about it

Old 10-29-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
My post had nothing to do with facta so I'm really not sure why you've quoted me to ask about it
You posted about the double taxation didn't you ?

That's FBAR and FATCA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events