Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the teacher went too far by saying God is a myth?
Yes, she took it too far .... 82 68.33%
No, she acted reasonable in front of the class... 38 31.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 11:30 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,523,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Actual major religions have histories and written scripture dating thousands of years. Stories haven't changed much for thousands of years. This is not equal to me walking up to a rock and calling it my god.
I think it is equal, as the histories and scriptures are stories of flying horses, talking serpents, people rising from the dead etc.

Believing that, is no different to deciding a rock is God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 11:36 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,662,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Good post. That said, faith is the abandonment of fact. When you take something on faith, you are choosing to ignore the scientifically proven facts for something higher.

Faith can also be a destructive force. We need to look no farther than ISIS for proof of that.
Faith is believing in the idea, and not having to re-examine the evidence all the time.
I do not need to examine the principles of Electricity every time I wish to turn a light on, or turn the key to start my car. I do not need to examine the laws of physics every time roll the bowling ball towards the pins.

And the actions of people like ISIS have little to do with Faith.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:38 AM

10,004 posts, read 11,083,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
We all have the right to decide who God is if your god is a rock.....all the best to you! You and others out of common respect have no right to tell others, even other people's children any different.
Me? I never told anyone what to believe or not to believe..believe in whatever you want. Just acknowledge that concept applies for all belief systems.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:40 AM

10,004 posts, read 11,083,663 times
Quote:
This comment is equally condescending towards the religious. IMHO only a certifiably crazy person would claim a rock to be God. But if they really wanted to they could still think that regardless of what psychiatric condition they have.

Actual major religions have histories and written scripture dating thousands of years. Stories haven't changed much for thousands of years. This is not equal to me walking up to a rock and calling it my god.
Hmmm..to some of us believing in 4000 year old nonsense is psychotic too..but hey who am i to say?

Old 11-03-2015, 11:45 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,468,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That didn't happen. Read the story.
You don't get it, do you.

In the guise of teaching them English, she taught them the God many of them accept as existing, may not exist. God's existence is debatable, per her. Whether you think it's debatable or 12 is a good age to give children a different angle is irrelevant. Bad question in the wrong place, as the school district and principal acknowledged.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:00 PM

50,196 posts, read 35,879,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Faith is believing in the idea, and not having to re-examine the evidence all the time.
I do not need to examine the principles of Electricity every time I wish to turn a light on, or turn the key to start my car. I do not need to examine the laws of physics every time roll the bowling ball towards the pins.

And the actions of people like ISIS have little to do with Faith.
Thank you, for exonerating the teacher with this statement! This is exactly what she taught, in telling the kids Common Assertion was the correct answer:

Commonplace Assertion: A statement that many people assume to be
true, but it can’t be proven.

So what then are people so offended by?

The really ironic thing is I recognize some of these posters who claim to be against being "PC", but apparently only when it applies to non-white, non-Christian groups.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,899,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think it is equal, as the histories and scriptures are stories of flying horses, talking serpents, people rising from the dead etc.

Believing that, is no different to deciding a rock is God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Hmmm..to some of us believing in 4000 year old nonsense is psychotic too..but hey who am i to say?
Until that rock has a substantial number of followers, has a background story to its significance, and has a centralized or designated place of worship, at the least, that rock is in no way comparable to an actual established religion. But you know that. It's just more fun to pretend they're the same and make religious people look like idiots. I know this game and I'm not falling for it.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:08 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,582,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

In the guise of teaching them English, she taught them the God many of them accept as existing, may not exist. God's existence is debatable, per her. Whether you think it's debatable or 12 is a good age to give children a different angle is irrelevant. Bad question in the wrong place, as the school district and principal acknowledged.
Exactly …

The question at hand isn't "The God Question," but rather an ignorantly ham*handed teacher who screwed up ...

Old 11-03-2015, 12:10 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,582,281 times
Quote:
Until that rock has a substantial number of followers, has a background story to its significance, and has a centralized or designated place of worship, at the least, that rock is in no way comparable to an actual established religion. But you know that. It's just more fun to pretend they're the same and make religious people look like idiots. I know this game and I'm not falling for it.
Yes … *sigh* …

Next we'll be hearing about "The Flying Spaghetti Monster," a teapot in orbit around the sun, and pink invisible unicorns …

*sigh*
The atheist missionaries need to get some new stories … Their old ones went stale long ago ...

Old 11-03-2015, 12:17 PM

35,993 posts, read 30,525,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

Sorry but the students already had the idea that God may not exist, perhaps with the exception of that one child but really deep down she most likely has questioned or had doubt. I'd bet all Christians at one point or another whether they admit it or not have had doubt. So the teacher did not teach them that God may not exist. That seed had already been planted.

You dont really think the principal or school district would support the teacher in this even if they did not feel the question was "in the wrong place" do you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events